European champions and challenge cup
Posted by: CoochieCoo (IP Logged)
Date: 18 May, 2017 11:39

Changes for qualification after 2017/18

[m.epcrugby.com]

http://zdgzqa.bay.livefilestore.com/y1p7Mwi7pLXeM89TY2KFdDQ-UUDGSv1FKNdhYdrW-koAuRN3tsqCPfE3onFxuO-3cZ0057Tom1uJai3vjkz3dvY_Q/1998%20Euro%20Champs.jpg http://zdgzqa.bay.livefilestore.com/y1pFul9UAV5zEXOzeRc1kmmlgDKXTYTIlTnGoQzYelH6KzdCeU-exN0IGo74QN2OGvlSoEiVjzAESvHx9BFlBsNFA/Bath%202008.jpg

Re: European champions and challenge cup
Posted by: Big Dog (IP Logged)
Date: 18 May, 2017 12:14

Seems similar to now but clears up the Pro12 nonsense of having an Italian team who always finishes 10th in ahead of the 4th Irish/Welsh team who might be ahead in league position but miss out due to the quota of a team from each nation.

I'm glad there is now a good reason for teams to invest their time in the Challenge Cup! Not such a mickey mouse waste of time for teams in the AP and Top 14 when they can qualify for the better cup regardless of league position.

What happens though if say Falcons or someone who hasn't qualified for the Champions cup this year makes top 6 next year and wins the Challenge cup? Does the 7th placed team in the AP get a Champions cup spot then?

Date: 18 May, 2017 12:15

Oh just read the losing finalist in the Challenge cup then qualifies for the Champions cup. Silly me!

Someone pass me my spectacles!

Posted by: jayeatman (IP Logged)
Date: 18 May, 2017 12:18

But what if the losing finalist has also already qualified?

BATH supporter since 1975

Adopted players:
2015/6 Tom Homer
2016/7 Matt Banahan

Date: 18 May, 2017 12:37

Quote:
jayeatman
But what if the losing finalist has also already qualified?

Back to the playoff scenario I guess? Or perhaps a semi-finalists play off for the spot?

e.g. if you had this years finalists you have 1 French and 1 English team. Say both had already qualified for it who gets the missing Champions cup spot?

Can't be a team from the Pro12 as they already have 7 in the comp so then you're back to the AP 7th placed team vs the French league's 7th placed team or the two losing semi-finalists playoff?

Posted by: cb2 (IP Logged)
Date: 18 May, 2017 12:47

I was thinking the same thing. Maybe it then goes to the next best placed side in the table from the winner's country?

Posted by: CoochieCoo (IP Logged)
Date: 18 May, 2017 13:41

From memory it used to be the next best placed side of that country.

http://zdgzqa.bay.livefilestore.com/y1p7Mwi7pLXeM89TY2KFdDQ-UUDGSv1FKNdhYdrW-koAuRN3tsqCPfE3onFxuO-3cZ0057Tom1uJai3vjkz3dvY_Q/1998%20Euro%20Champs.jpg http://zdgzqa.bay.livefilestore.com/y1pFul9UAV5zEXOzeRc1kmmlgDKXTYTIlTnGoQzYelH6KzdCeU-exN0IGo74QN2OGvlSoEiVjzAESvHx9BFlBsNFA/Bath%202008.jpg

Posted by: Substitute (IP Logged)
Date: 18 May, 2017 19:20

While I understand the merit of the changes that's got to be a body blow for Italian Rugby.

I think this might be the beginning of the end of the Italian rugby project...

Date: 19 May, 2017 07:42

I agree.

Date: 19 May, 2017 09:08

Quote:
Substitute
While I understand the merit of the changes that's got to be a body blow for Italian Rugby.
I think this might be the beginning of the end of the Italian rugby project...

I agree but also disagree. It isn't as if any of the Italian sides have ever been anything other than whipping boys in the pool stages of the Champions cup anyways.

It may be better for them to compete in the Challenge cup and gain some European competition experience on a more even playing field for them?

Although when you look at the teams in the Challenge cup next year I wouldn't say many are that weak either when you have the likes of Gloucester, Sale, Newcastle, Toulouse, Brive, Bordeaux, Connacht etc all good teams on their day!

Posted by: hasta (IP Logged)
Date: 19 May, 2017 10:24

The interesting one is Edinburgh who haven't qualified (and wouldn't have done in the new world) for the Big Cup ever since the Pro 12 added the Italian teams. Which is pretty abysmal.

Date: 19 May, 2017 13:04

I cannot see how Italy cannot get enough support and finances together for one side to be competitive in the Celtic League. Surely a rich owner, the cream of Italian players and a few highly paid ex-pats should see to that?

Posted by: Substitute (IP Logged)
Date: 19 May, 2017 13:32

Hard to see how you save Italy without support from the other unions. Ideally I guess, a Jaguares-style franchise, bankrolled and playing in Italy a requirement for playing for the national team (bar a couple of wildcards).

Nevertheless, the Six Nations is now the last 'leg-up' Italy receives from the rugby world... How long before that is withdrawn?

Posted by: Which Tyler (IP Logged)
Date: 19 May, 2017 13:58

Are the Italian teams still paying their 1.5M p.a. for hte privelege of playing in the Rabo? cos that REALLY doesn't help.

A man who cannot change his mind, cannot change anything
RAEBURN SHIELD

Beno Obano - 2016-17 adoptee
http://www.rugbyrebels.co/board/download/file.php?id=117

Posted by: Mike the Taxi (IP Logged)
Date: 19 May, 2017 19:49

Anyone know what this is about?. It's shown as a first leg; is this for next season's competition?

It appears to have been played earlier this evening, according to Beeb.
Even more curious, given that Cardiff weren't even in the leagues when this year's competition started.

Posted by: joethefanatic (IP Logged)
Date: 20 May, 2017 05:01

Quote:
Mike the Taxi
Anyone know what this is about?. It's shown as a first leg; is this for next season's competition?
It appears to have been played earlier this evening, according to Beeb.
Even more curious, given that Cardiff weren't even in the leagues when this year's competition started.

Its the first semi-final playoff for the final Heineken berth. The Saints play Connaught in the other and the two winners (ie Stade plus one of the second two) play off in the final. None of them two legged affairs AFAIK.

... IMHO, of course.

Now in Honolulu

Date: 22 May, 2017 09:53

Should be interesting to see who qualifies! I'm guessing there is some financial incentive to making the top European competition?

Posted by: hasta (IP Logged)
Date: 22 May, 2017 10:36

Pretty sure it's going to be scrapped after this season.

Posted by: joethefanatic (IP Logged)
Date: 24 May, 2017 06:52

Edit Oops, my comment already covered in the OP.

... IMHO, of course.

Now in Honolulu

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 24/05/2017 06:54 by joethefanatic.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net