Very O/T!
Posted by: StuartMMoss (IP Logged)
Date: 19 May, 2017 18:16

Hi All...

I am currently working as a supply teacher at a school for the summer term and today, as I was leaving, I got told that it I have to do assembly on Tuesday.
One of the school 'words' is commitment... so I thought of rugby, but more specifically 'The Lions'.
As I believe there are a few teachers on here... are there any that can give me some tips etc... or even better... their one that they have already done! 😉

Long shot I know... and thanks in advance!

Stuart.

Re: Very O/T!
Posted by: quanco (IP Logged)
Date: 19 May, 2017 18:38

Very dependent upon age groups. Might be worth enlightening us on that point?

If they're old enough then showing them a couple of speeches from the dressing room might be beneficial but I'd try and elicit some of their own examples of commitment once they've gained an understanding (depending on whether participation is common during your assemblies).

In rugby there are a wide number of scenarios where commitment is a common theme:
- committed to the game (could use a picture of Sam Burgess' Canterbury campaign, haha...)
- committed to a team or a nation
- committed to a tackle

I'm sure there are many more potential themes but try to focus on the positives.

Suppose loyalty and respect both tie in with plenty of examples I can think of. Many examples are wavered in a Lions scenario because you're called up to the team and it's more of a one off. Gatland taking a sabbatical from Wales might be an outside example.

Sorry I haven't come up with anything substantial but just from the top of my head. Hope it helps and let us know how it goes!

Adam Hastings/Bath Rugby - Adopted Player 2016/17

Date: 19 May, 2017 18:52

Thanks Quanco...

Sorry.... I am a primary teacher. 😃

Posted by: quanco (IP Logged)
Date: 19 May, 2017 19:00

Maybe leave out Paul O Connel's rants then!

Adam Hastings/Bath Rugby - Adopted Player 2016/17

Date: 19 May, 2017 19:06

Ha!ha! Very true! 😃😉

Posted by: al Mossah (IP Logged)
Date: 19 May, 2017 22:21

And Jim Telfer's

Posted by: Pubdave (IP Logged)
Date: 19 May, 2017 23:18

What about something to do with Roko? Commitment to serve as well as to the game. There is bound to be an interview available somewhere where he talks about it.

Date: 20 May, 2017 01:03

Like it Dave... cheers! 😃

Posted by: Clarkey3k (IP Logged)
Date: 20 May, 2017 12:20

There is the old chestnut about the difference between contribution and commitment - a hen contributes to a full English breakfast whereas the pig is committed...

Adopted players: [17] D Denton; [16] H. Agulla; [15] L Houston; [14] W Spencer; [13] F. Louw

Change a life with a loan [www.deki.org.uk]

Posted by: Boldngrey (IP Logged)
Date: 20 May, 2017 13:36

Inspiration?

Look at the way Anthony Foley's death galvanised Ireland and Munster.

Posted by: B4thB4ck (IP Logged)
Date: 22 May, 2017 12:49

I would try to get the message across that you should always do your best at whatever you do.

There will always be those better than you (unless you are Roko of course) but if you do your best whether in the exam room or on the sports pitch, you can have no regrets.

Posted by: ouch!_that_hurts (IP Logged)
Date: 23 May, 2017 10:11

Following on from the Anthoney Foley example, how about commitment to the team and its aims - many teams demonstrate that commitment to a cause/ethos results in something greater than the quality of each individual. The most obvious recent example (to me, anyway) is the Chiefs win against Saracens on Saturday but equally, the way that Saracens put their bodies on the line for their cause when it was clear they were all absolutely knackered.

Posted by: Boldngrey (IP Logged)
Date: 23 May, 2017 14:18

England's 3 test victory over Australia.

Date: 23 May, 2017 19:44

Cheers all. Went for The Lions in the end focusing on teamwork and the coming together of traditional rivals. Seemed to go ok... did not get booed! Ha!ha!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net