5. Bath Rugby - 20/1
6. Northampton Saints - 40/1
7. Harlequins - 50/1
8. Gloucester Rugby - 66/1
9. Sale Sharks - 250/1
10. Newcastle Falcons - 300/1
11. London Irish - 500/1
12. Worcester Warriors - 500/1

Of course these are odds of winning rather than finishing positions, but think that Worcester and Sale will do better than this with their signings. Saints potentially worse unless they can sort a few positions, like 8. Jury out on us and Tigers until we see who comes in...

Re: next season prospects
Posted by: BathPatriot (IP Logged)
Date: 12 July, 2017 16:07

No good for us, mid table at best.

Posted by: Ali1969 (IP Logged)
Date: 12 July, 2017 17:11

As the squad stands at present I think those odds are over generous to us. As I said on another thread we are leaving it late with any new signings and looking st the squad there are some huge weakness and what worries me is the gulf of class between the starting player and their respective back up - KF and Cook being one example. As much as I like him KPN is not a premiership standard TH.

I look at our squad and cannot help but think we are far too weak in key areas, I am sure TB & TM are working on filling those gaps but time is ticking on fast especially for an oversees player to arrive acclimatise and settle prior to the start of the AP.

Posted by: Big Dog (IP Logged)
Date: 12 July, 2017 17:21

I too think those odds are generous! I think we need a fully fit Shaun Knight (was impressed by him once he lost a bit of tub as is a great scrummager it appears) or a new TH PLUS at least one centre, preferably an inside centre with a little chunk to fill out midfield out.

I am a bit worried we are a little lightweight across the entire team bar Attwood, Garvey and Banners. If Banners is not in the backline we are extremely lightweight and although I don't want us to play him at 12 or for us to bring in Jamie Roberts or an equally uninspiring 12 I would like to see a powerful midfielder brought in before the start of the year too.

Posted by: hemington (IP Logged)
Date: 12 July, 2017 17:41

Could be breakout year for Max Clark.

Posted by: Boldangrey (IP Logged)
Date: 12 July, 2017 21:22

Toddy will wind 'em up and let 'em go.

With luck with injuries we could challenge the top two.

Posted by: OutsideBath (IP Logged)
Date: 12 July, 2017 21:45

Quote:
Boldangrey

Not with the squad as it stands today.

Jack Wilson - Adopted player 2017/18

Date: 12 July, 2017 21:58

Quote:
OutsideBath
Quote:
Boldangrey

Leicester's squad is weaker and we performed well against Exeter.

Why not?

Date: 12 July, 2017 22:02

Quote:
Boldangrey
Quote:
OutsideBath
Quote:
Boldangrey

Why not?

Leicester's squad is weaker, how?

Our squad wasn't good enough last year and it hasn't been significantly improved.

Posted by: shipwrecked (IP Logged)
Date: 12 July, 2017 23:11

Quote:
OutsideBath
Leicester's squad is weaker, how?

Bound to be weaker, George Ford has gone there! (Sm159)

Quote:
OutsideBath

Our squad wasn't good enough last year and it hasn't been significantly improved.

Improved, yes, significantly improved, not yet!

Posted by: Bath Hammer (IP Logged)
Date: 13 July, 2017 04:58

It's interesting that the bookies give us significantly shorter odds than the likes of Saints & Quins despite our lack of signings. If those gaps can be filled with the right players & soon maybe they are right. If we sign players we don't really need & not ones that we do those odds are generous in my view. Of course those teams might also make late signings.

Posted by: joethefanatic (IP Logged)
Date: 13 July, 2017 07:05

Quote:
Boldangrey
Quote:
OutsideBath
Quote:
Boldangrey

Why not?

With Toomua, Logo and Manu now available? I don't think so.

... IMHO, of course.

Now in Honolulu

Posted by: Clarkey3k (IP Logged)
Date: 13 July, 2017 07:13

We do have a proper pre season fixture schedule this year which will be vital preparation given the Tigers, Sarries, Saints scenario though we did win two of these last season. The gulf between the #1 and #2 picks for some positions is a worry given the big cup challenge and likely England/International call ups. I would take a top 6 finish this season and progession to the knock out stages of the Euro comp. Where are the new signings Todd?

Adopted players: 2017-18 T Faletau; [17] D Denton; [16] H. Agulla; [15] L Houston; [14] W Spencer; [13] F. Louw

Change a life with a loan [www.deki.org.uk]

Posted by: BathMatt53 (IP Logged)
Date: 13 July, 2017 07:15

So the return of their injured players will make them stronger? Isn't that exactly what we are saying for us too? (Squad on paper vs squad available to play). For that reason we are stronger than last year, very obviously imho.

Date: 13 July, 2017 07:37

Can't help but think that TB has given his list of required players, but whoever is in charge of getting them signed just isn't up to the job which leaves us short of class in some positions.

Date: 13 July, 2017 08:16

Quote:
BathMatt53
So the return of their injured players will make them stronger? Isn't that exactly what we are saying for us too? (Squad on paper vs squad available to play). For that reason we are stronger than last year, very obviously imho.

+1

And how long will Manu Last?

Posted by: BathSalmon (IP Logged)
Date: 13 July, 2017 08:27

We will have a whole front row that will feel like new signings this year!

Auterac, Walker & Thomas. All missed huge amounts of the last campaign!

They played just over 1000 mins between them. Which broken down is approx. 4 games each!

Funnily enough, when Thomas and Auterac were playing at the start of the season, we were winning consistently.

Then came a period of adjusting Lahiff to the otherside of the scrum, followed in January by a 15 match streak where neither Attwood or Garvey played! (06Jan to 15Apr)

Add to that a disaffected no.10 who has now left the club.

We do need some signings, yes - centre desperately. Other areas to keep the quality in the team during international periods, and to help bridge the gap to the top 4.

Yet our current squad is good enough to battle well this season. There is hope, even if masses of signings do not materialise.

And lets be realistic, any signings now are not likely to turn up now until November, once the SH season draws to a close.

Having luck with fitness through the season is key to any sucessful season. Having players such as Auterac, Walker, Thomas, Attwood and Garvey back in the match day squads will go a long way to turning our slide in performances back the other way.

Keep the faith guys.

Salmon

Posted by: cb2 (IP Logged)
Date: 13 July, 2017 09:00

Sale Sharks at 250/1 looks like the value there. They could just about get into the top 4 and then you should be able to make some other bets to guarantee a win. Their starting 15 will be quite strong.

Posted by: Optimist (IP Logged)
Date: 13 July, 2017 09:51

I would guess the 250/1 is on finishing 1st in season, excluding the play-offs?

Posted by: hasta (IP Logged)
Date: 13 July, 2017 09:58

Oddly, regular season winner for Sale on Betfair is 66/1. Grand final winner is 150/1.

150/1 might be a good trading bet if you can get it - but perhaps not surprisingly none of those bets are available on the Exchange.

Current Page: 1 of 5
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net