Rugby 's Laws to be shredded by 50%
Posted by: shipwrecked (IP Logged)
Date: 17 July, 2017 14:07

Seems as though the Law book is going to be rewritten on half the pages to clarify the game. I predict a 3 year bedding in process!

Re: Rugby 's Laws to be shredded by 50%
Posted by: BathMatt53 (IP Logged)
Date: 17 July, 2017 15:39

Anything that turns scrums into a pushing / ball striking exercise rather than a 'try to get the other guy in trouble to win a penalty' lottery would be welcome.

Posted by: B4thB4ck (IP Logged)
Date: 17 July, 2017 16:49

I wonder what would happen if, at scrum time, assistants ran onto the pitch with a large jigsaw framework of some sort (scrum machine without weights) which would ensure each of the front row would be forced to engage correctly and basically only affect the scrum by pushing.

Surely in most cases the scrum would probably either go nowhere or move forwards or backwards at snails pace?

It's the dark arts of angles and alignments which make it interesting.

Date: 17 July, 2017 16:52

I'm not sure they are rewriting the laws rather re-writing them, ie I don't think they are changing them. Fact is though that it's inevitable that the word change will get interpreted differently.

I'd love some changes in the scrum such as the ball has to go in at right angles to the front row alignment. I'd like hookers to do just that and get their reflexes tested. Always seemed odd to me that the have to throw in straight at the line-out but NOT the scrum.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 17/07/2017 21:43 by shipwrecked.

Date: 17 July, 2017 16:59

Quote:
B4thB4ck
It's the dark arts of angles and alignments which make it interesting.

In theory yes! In practice, after 15 mins of resets on a cold winters night it can get a little testing...

Posted by: B4thB4ck (IP Logged)
Date: 17 July, 2017 17:07

Yes, I know.

I guess the refs need to award a few penalties to shake it up in that situation.

My pet hate is your team is 5 points behind with 10 mins to go, there is a scrum but with all the resets the ball is hardly in play and the game fizzles out.

Unless you are Bath leading in a Euro semi of course! The ball is in play plenty then....

Posted by: Huxster (IP Logged)
Date: 17 July, 2017 19:45

Scrums just need the props higher and less interferance from referee, front rows come together, locks on knees and bind in when front rows set and back rows in next. simples

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v654/Huxster8/Huxster6.jpg

Posted by: DanWiley (IP Logged)
Date: 18 July, 2017 07:38

I don't think the scrum needs massive changes. I can't really remember many occasions of late where it hasn't been an interesting battle. A few resets maybe, but nothing that really bothered me.

Date: 20 July, 2017 21:46

So I was wrong, there are several significant changes to the scrum Well worth following the link as the changes are quite significant.

Date: 20 July, 2017 22:20

Yes any of the front row can strike and someone must strike are interesting. Based on the new position of the scrum half it may as well be a second row!

Posted by: Boldangrey (IP Logged)
Date: 21 July, 2017 08:26

In years gone by any of the front row could strike. The tight head would sweep on the opposition ball.

When was that changed?

Date: 21 July, 2017 08:50

doesn't look like it did change?

[laws.worldrugby.org]

20.8 Front-row players

(b) Striking after the throw-in. Once the ball touches the ground in the tunnel, any front row player may use either foot to try to win possession of the ball.

I'm confused now as to why it is being reported as a new law? Unless it is the bit where it used to say MAY and now says MUST?

Posted by: hasta (IP Logged)
Date: 21 July, 2017 11:55

Must strike is very interesting.

Posted by: Mike the Taxi (IP Logged)
Date: 21 July, 2017 11:59

Changes adopted from 1/8/2017 in NH Chronic

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net