Next weekend's fixures
Posted by: jayeatman (IP Logged)
Date: 11 September, 2017 10:21

You couldn't really have given us a harder start to the season, made even more so by two short turn rounds, so can anyone cast any light on why there are THREE Friday night fixtures next weekend?

BATH supporter since 1975

Adopted players:
2015/6 Tom Homer
2016/7 Matt Banahan
2017/8 Jeff Williams

Re: Next weekend's fixures
Posted by: annie blackthorn (IP Logged)
Date: 11 September, 2017 10:31

I that a rhetorical question? This is BBCSport we are talking about!
I'd like to know why Bath had Leicester, Sarries and then Saints in a row! Bet Todd would too!

Adoptee for 2017/18 James Phillips - newly arrived and bringing a wealth of experience in the Prem!

Posted by: jayeatman (IP Logged)
Date: 11 September, 2017 10:39

Not sure you can blame BTSport after all they can only show one live Friday night game. (OK theoretically they could show more than one, but they won't).

BATH supporter since 1975

Adopted players:
2015/6 Tom Homer
2016/7 Matt Banahan
2017/8 Jeff Williams

Posted by: Which Tyler (IP Logged)
Date: 11 September, 2017 11:30

TBF Jay, Annie didn't blame BTSport - she blamed BBCSport - which... is even less relevant.

IIRC Sale like to play on Friday nights anyway to avoid clashes with football.
Worcester v Exeter will have been at Worcester's request - and I've no idea why that would have been.

A man who cannot change his mind, cannot change anythinghttp://www.rugbyrebels.co/board/download/file.php?id=377
RAEBURN SHIELD

Posted by: Bath Hammer (IP Logged)
Date: 11 September, 2017 11:52

Not ideal but it's just the way the cookie crumbles. I'm more concerned as to how we can remain at the top of our game for a third week to overcome a rejuninated Saints.

Posted by: rugbymel (IP Logged)
Date: 11 September, 2017 12:22

Saint in peace. Looking forward to Friday night under the lights. Our respective opening fixtures are remarkably similar, Saints have played Sarries, Tigers with your good selves next. Go easy on us (Sm115).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/09/2017 12:23 by rugbymel.

Posted by: Optimist (IP Logged)
Date: 11 September, 2017 12:34

In a joint team made up of ours' and Saints' starting XVx from this w/e i'd be picking at least 5 of our backs, their front row, and 2 or 3 each from back 5. Even North over Banahan, Burrell over Clark are debates rather than shoo-ins.

So, in theory, we'll get parity up front and stuff them behind....simples!

Posted by: hasta (IP Logged)
Date: 11 September, 2017 16:46

Jesus, not even Compare the Market are doing 'simples' anymore.

Posted by: BathBurger (IP Logged)
Date: 11 September, 2017 16:54

Pretty sure even thinking about replacing Banners is still considered treason

Posted by: Boldangrey (IP Logged)
Date: 11 September, 2017 22:03

Quote:
Optimist
In a joint team made up of ours' and Saints' starting XVx from this w/e i'd be picking at least 5 of our backs, their front row, and 2 or 3 each from back 5. Even North over Banahan, Burrell over Clark are debates rather than shoo-ins.

I'll hit the cliche button.......

but Bath are better than the sum of their parts. Are Saints?

Posted by: shipwrecked (IP Logged)
Date: 11 September, 2017 23:12

Quote:
Boldangrey
Quote:
Optimist

I'll hit the cliche button.......

but Bath are better than the sum of their parts. Are Saints?

Yup true, we have got Taps after all! (Sm159)

Posted by: Bath Hammer (IP Logged)
Date: 12 September, 2017 06:22

They have been in the last two matches (better than the sum of their parts) Let's hope they keep it up. Next weekend will be a stiff test but I'm sure we feel that it won't be job done unless we can get a win at Franklin Gardens & delay our first defeat for a bit longer (Sm101)

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/09/2017 06:25 by Bath Hammer.

Posted by: Neil-H (IP Logged)
Date: 12 September, 2017 08:54

Quote:
Optimist

You guys have started the season on fire, especially Roko, what a game last week, really enjoyed watching the game last weekend, obviously not as much as you lot, but I thought Sarries had stolen it, but thankfully no!

Opti, you'd really have our front row?? We had how many scrum penalties given against us? Think Brooke's gave away at least 3 on his own? Our scrums are a real worry for us at present.

The backs is an interesting one, since our change of attacking coach towards end of last season, we seem to be more dangerous and the introduction of Horne in his first game, just seemed to give the rest of the backs that extra level of confidence, he didn't stop talking, looks a great signing for us

Luther Burrell had his best game in 2 seasons, in both offense n defence, so think I'd go with him over Clarke, but I am biased winking smiley

North also seemed to go looking for the ball more and got more involved than we seen for a long time, however Banahan has started the season very well, so North is no shoo-in as you say

Should be a great game as long as the team that plays a Tigers turn up and not the one that played Sarries!

Safe journey to all of you travelling up Friday and here's to a great game and may the best team win and no stupid controversial decisions that decide things!

Posted by: gaz59 (IP Logged)
Date: 12 September, 2017 09:33

The one stat from the Sarries game that screams out is the average metres made in each carry

Sarries were down to less than 3 metres and ours I think was nearly 6

You could just say that Sarries had a bad day at the office. They don't, they are European Champions and so close to the double last year. To close them down like that is not merely player v player comparison - it is much more of a collective mindset, precision execution and energy to keep a fast line speed with shape and structure for the full 84 minutes. Not a perfect display but a massive improvement on last year

A repeat like that at FG and it won't matter who has the better of the front row battle or whether North has a better game than Banners

Posted by: Mobbs (IP Logged)
Date: 13 September, 2017 08:50

Oh dear, underdogs at home next friday night - be gentle with us !

Most of us at the Gardens are no fans of friday nights - once a season is ok but no more.

Safe travels from the West Country - avoid M1 at all costs.........

Posted by: dr.bath1865 (IP Logged)
Date: 13 September, 2017 09:46

The average metres per carry jumped out at me too. Roko's final carry probably helped that stat!

But I've noticed this season how we've been smarter when heading into contact. Faletau is the template - he always uses his feet before contact, moving the tackler off balance and so running at an arm rather than a shoulder, so gaining yards. Others are following his lead.

Also, our 'wrap' pick and go game has really developed. We clearly have a technique - with the pick and go man, latching with a man at his side and a third man joining behind, almost in a scrummage position, to form a triangle/wedge that drives forward. It's clearly something we've been working on in training and it's winning us lots of yards either side of the breakdown, as the weight of 3 men going forward is hard to stop.

I also love the play we're making with the 9 passing to the ball carrying forward, who moves to take contact before flicking the ball back to the looping 9 and we go wide.

Three small techniques, clearly coming from the coaches and the training ground, that I think are winning us inches that are winning us games.

Posted by: hasta (IP Logged)
Date: 13 September, 2017 09:48

The Khan version of the Sexton loop I really like. Everytime you watch Sexton you know what he's going to do, but it seems no one's worked out how to stop it. As a way of sucking in defenders it's great.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net