Current Page: 1 of 3
Catty
Posted by: DownSouth (IP Logged)
Date: 14 September, 2017 08:01

Rumours abound that he's in town and being lined up to replace Tabs.

Would take some euros to prise him away from Italy, so it may all be baloney (or salami), but still.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 14/09/2017 09:10 by DownSouth.

Re: Catty
Posted by: Lewisrugby (IP Logged)
Date: 14 September, 2017 08:13

Home club, plus knows Booth and some of the players from Irish. Makes sense.

Posted by: Danchinho (IP Logged)
Date: 14 September, 2017 08:35

I'm asking because, although i remember him as an England player (didn't follow club rugby then) i have no idea as to whether he's a good coach, so, is he a good coach?

I probably don't know what i'm talking about.

Posted by: DownSouth (IP Logged)
Date: 14 September, 2017 08:38

Pretty hit and miss with England, although much probably lies with Bomber as the man in charge.

Conor O'Shea and the Italian RFU obviously rate(d) him.

Posted by: P G Tips (IP Logged)
Date: 14 September, 2017 08:45

Did a good job at Irish in a partial coaching role. Possibly too early for him with England and arguably the mix was not right.

He certainly has some great attacking ideas.

PG

Posted by: dr.bath1865 (IP Logged)
Date: 14 September, 2017 09:02

Goodness! A Rec legend returning to have some fun with this bunch of talented tyros.

Would love this. Still young as a coach and has bag loads of ideas, and always seemed like a coach that the players really liked. His England experience wasn't great but, by all accounts, the whole regime was fairly rotten, not just him and under his watch England scored a good number of tries if I recall.

Refuse to believe the rumour until I see Catty on The Rec again, handing out the kicking tee.

Posted by: DanWiley (IP Logged)
Date: 14 September, 2017 09:11

It feels a little like a crowd pleaser rather then looking at who the very bet coach we can get is. Given that:

- Coaches do make a huge difference (see Tabs' apparent mental preparation of the players this season).
- There's no cap on coaches.
- We're not a poor club.

It just seems like an opportunity near the very best in the world. I say near because I think international ambitions will attract the very best.

I also wonder if its Todds choice? Seems a bit of a coincidence that what I hope is one of his top choices happens to be a Bath legend (as a player, but not as a coach).

That said I hope that Catt is that "very best", and I've just not picked up on it, and he is joining us because its a romantic scenario.

Posted by: ghost (IP Logged)
Date: 14 September, 2017 09:12

Many years ago I got to ask him if he'd ever want to coach at Bath and he said he'd love to - but not while the then regime (Brownsword) was in charge.

Posted by: Humpo (IP Logged)
Date: 14 September, 2017 09:16

Wonder if Wayne Smith could be persuaded to come over? He should be top of the list to call.

Posted by: Robbinho (IP Logged)
Date: 14 September, 2017 09:38

Does Catty not still live in Bath?

Posted by: Lewisrugby (IP Logged)
Date: 14 September, 2017 09:39

Agreed all above. Hasan't really got great coaching credentials, but has a great attacking brain.

Catty loved Bath until Andrew Brownsword stuffed him over with a poor contract (financially) and went to Irish.

Would be good to see a Brian Ashton or Steve Meehan as backs coach, but really can't see it happening with history and their previous roles as head coaches.

I'd be happy with a Joe Maddock/Wayne Smith. Pretty sure Blackadder has someone lined up, if he's allowed to make the selection.

Posted by: Andy R (IP Logged)
Date: 14 September, 2017 10:03

I'd love to see Catty back (one of my favourite players of old). With a couple of international coaching roles under his belt he can't be all that bad. Joe Maddock could also be an interesting choice. Has he had any coaching experience (excuse my ignorance)?

I would not want to see Brian Ashton back though, I don't remember his last stint ending that well.

Posted by: by (IP Logged)
Date: 14 September, 2017 10:13

I thought Catt ran England's attack very well, however both Hatley and Matson were reported as coaches the players were very fond of, I don't think Catt suits that role.

Posted by: Optimist (IP Logged)
Date: 14 September, 2017 10:17

"I would not want to see Brian Ashton back though, I don't remember his last stint ending that well"

The bitterness - on my part - about Ashton, was the fact that he went months after describing Bath as his 'spiritual home', and also because of how fantastic his coaching was. He's getting on a bit now, and may not necessarily be the guru he was then?

I'd love to see Mike Catt here, though. And i'm pretty sure TB would thoroughly explore his suitability for the job.

Posted by: @Hydor18 (IP Logged)
Date: 14 September, 2017 10:17

Quote:
Lewisrugby
I'd be happy with a Joe Maddock/Wayne Smith.

"Happy" with Wayne Smith!?!? I'd be blooky ecstatic!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 14/09/2017 10:18 by @Hydor18.

Posted by: Humpo (IP Logged)
Date: 14 September, 2017 10:27

Quote:
@Hydor18
Quote:
Lewisrugby

I too chuckled at that! There surely cannot be anyone, with any sense at all, that says Wayne Smith wouldn't be the dream option?

Posted by: Danchinho (IP Logged)
Date: 14 September, 2017 10:30

Quote:
@Hydor18
Quote:
Lewisrugby

I've just read up on him. Wow, that's some C.V! Someone like that would be exceptional.

I probably don't know what i'm talking about.

Posted by: HugoBoss (IP Logged)
Date: 14 September, 2017 10:42

Forgive my lack of knowledge here of Todd and Wayne Smith-have they come into contact/worked together at any point in the past? Player/coach relationship or otherwise that anyone is aware of?

He would be a marvellous addition if we did make an offer and he signed up but I very much hope Todd does take his time so as not to make a rushed appointment, which doesn't strike me as his way at all thankfully!

Posted by: OutsideBath (IP Logged)
Date: 14 September, 2017 10:49

If true I hope this is Todd's choice rather than management interference in matters affecting the team.

Jack Wilson - Adopted player 2017/18

Posted by: by (IP Logged)
Date: 14 September, 2017 11:00

Wayne Smith is probably one of the most successful coaches of all time, however I don't think he'd leave NZ.

Current Page: 1 of 3
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net