Current Page: 7 of 9
Re: Bath v Worcs Match Thread
Posted by: Substitute (IP Logged)
Date: 07 October, 2017 19:51

Not to excuse Burns but I also don't think it helped that his own teammate bound on and pushed him down...

Posted by: DanWiley (IP Logged)
Date: 07 October, 2017 20:14

I think the thing that bothers me with the decision was what did the ref see on review that he didn't see the first tone around? He clearly see dangerous play, hence the yellow. The tmo, by accounts, wasn't screaming for a red, I can't see what wasn't clear to someone who thought that was a yellow, when seen again, made them think " nope, definitely a red".

Posted by: BathMatt53 (IP Logged)
Date: 07 October, 2017 20:21

Well, 5 points in the bag but a stack more injuries which is worrying. Gutted for Taps thought he was on fire, hope he is OK. Teío didnít show much for me, I thought that Spencer was up their for their player of the match tbh, he is a right old lump but surprisingly mobile with it. Surprised JJ was caught, has he lost a yard of pace? AW looked like his leg still isnít quite right.

In summary, job done (but at a price).

Posted by: OutsideBath (IP Logged)
Date: 07 October, 2017 20:23

When they replayed the Burns incident on the big screen it was obvious he was going to get a red card.

Jack Wilson - Adopted player 2017/18

Posted by: Bath Hammer (IP Logged)
Date: 07 October, 2017 20:33

Quote:
Devonport Boy
We do have another Premiership game before Nivember / Gloucester on 29 October.

For some odd reason itís not showing on the BBC Sport website

Date: 07 October, 2017 20:36

Quote:
sid the seagull
I thought intense game, Worcs very, very far from a poor team, remarkably close to a good one.
I would like to know whether Bi and T&M have ever played this game at whatever level.
To close it out with injuries and 14 men for 16 minutes took some doing.
Well done you Bath boys.

SQUAWK

+ 1

Posted by: spongey (IP Logged)
Date: 07 October, 2017 20:48

It was more of a frustrating performance as opposed to a bad one. At times we were really close to carving Worcester apart but we just gave them cheap ball and cheap territory. The patterns in attack were pretty good until we got down to the 22 and slowed it down considerably making it far easier to defend. We played with quick ball between the halfway line and the 22 having great gainline success and just decided to do something completely different to what we were getting success doing.

I think pretty much everyone had a pretty good game apart from the odd mistake here and there, Faletau was just something else and we looked a lot more exciting and dangerous with Burns and Tapuai in the side. It's a couple of the game plan decision that irritate me a bit. Along with the lack of speed in the 22 we kick without testing the defence too often and just defend the whole game. It's a good thing we have a good defence because if other teams did that they'd be punished week in week out. The coaches do deserve a lot of credit though with the patterns and attacking shape along with a fantastically drilled defence. Gone are the days of Mike Ford who never seemed to consider a player might get binned because now we actually look prepared when we drop to 14 and somehow seem to defend even better.

I don't think Burns was malicious, just reckless. You can't lift the man in the tackle because it's just playing with fire. I don't know how people are claiming it wasn't a red because it was clear and obvious. I thought Pearce had bottled it when he showed the yellow initially but he made the right decision when he saw the replay and did well I think to overall the TMO. I doubt he gets anything too harsh and I think he's a step up from Priestland in giving us an attacking edge, the pass for the final try was sublime.

Posted by: BathSalmon (IP Logged)
Date: 07 October, 2017 20:49

So for the benefit of us that weren't there, who were the stand out performers?

Sounds like Tapuai was MOTM, how did Burns do aside from the red card? Was Mercer just as good as last week in all aspects? I read on Twitter that Watson was showing really good form and his clearance kicks were very good.

Who stood out, who was disappointing?

Adopted Player 17-18 & 16-17: Dave Attwood
Adopted Player 15-16: Matt Garvey

Posted by: TCM2007 (IP Logged)
Date: 07 October, 2017 21:31

I thought Brew had an excellent game, really wanting get involved all over the place.

Stuart

Former ed.

Posted by: BathBurger (IP Logged)
Date: 07 October, 2017 21:38

Thought all the backs had a good game actually. Re Mercer he was good again but not as good as last week which is no shame on him! I don't recall anyone being particularly poor.

Posted by: sid the seagull (IP Logged)
Date: 07 October, 2017 21:42

Mercer was great without any walking on water moments.
Kahn supercharged the thing when he came on (but Chris was good).
Aled Brew played out of his skin. Ok people say he's not so and so but he did pretty much everything very well. Big up the guy.

FLAP

Posted by: annie blackthorn (IP Logged)
Date: 07 October, 2017 21:46

imho, i trust that Mr Pearce will be given a grilling at the Ref's aka Spreadbury's inquisition, debrief on Monday!
Think he needs to do a bit of revision on several points, including what is and what is not offside by chaps in red shirts today! etc.

Good win!
Hope Tapui doesn't take too long to recover.

Adoptee for 2017/18 James Phillips - newly arrived and bringing a wealth of experience in the Prem!

Posted by: Toast and Marmite (IP Logged)
Date: 07 October, 2017 21:55

Quote:
sid the seagull
I thought intense game, Worcs very, very far from a poor team, remarkably close to a good one.
I would like to know whether Bi and T&M have ever played this game at whatever level.
To close it out with injuries and 14 men for 16 minutes took some doing.
Well done you Bath boys.

SQUAWK
Eh? What on earth you singling me out for bird brain?

"No sprinkles. For every sprinkle I find, I shall kill you."

Posted by: Boldangrey (IP Logged)
Date: 07 October, 2017 22:20

What has Tapuai injured?

Posted by: TG Kesmo (IP Logged)
Date: 07 October, 2017 22:51

Head was knocked out but is appparently up and coherent so will need return to play protocols

Posted by: sid the seagull (IP Logged)
Date: 08 October, 2017 01:29

Was you there snack food?

PECK

Date: 08 October, 2017 02:27

Our ability to retain possession when attacking the try line letís us down too often & requires a lot of work if we are going to maintain our position. I wonder if this is partly due to adjusting to life without Ford.

Date: 08 October, 2017 06:39

Quote:
BathSalmon
Sounds like Tapuai was MOTM, how did Burns do aside from the red card? Was Mercer just as good as last week in all aspects? I read on Twitter that Watson was showing really good form and his clearance kicks were very good.

BS there was a lot of effort again but quite a few errors as last week. Better direct attacking led by Tapuai but final balls not going to hand or bouncing away from players etc. Spongey has it pretty much spot on.

Todd on Burns:

ĎIt's definitely a red card. No excuses or complaints from us. As soon as a player's legs get above the parallel, it's in the hands of the referee. The red card was deserved.í

And on BT, who was treated on the pitch for 13 mins:

ĎBen Tapuai is talking. He's coherent, which is a really good sign. He got his head on the wrong side in a tackle and got a knee to the head. The good news is that he seems to be OK.í

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/10/2017 07:37 by BathMatt53.

Posted by: OutsideBath (IP Logged)
Date: 08 October, 2017 08:14

Quote:
BathSalmon

Tapuai and Brew stood out for me.

Jack Wilson - Adopted player 2017/18

Date: 08 October, 2017 08:41

Underhill made some eye-watering hits again.

Current Page: 7 of 9
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net