Current Page: 4 of 5
Re: Scarlett's v Bath match thread
Posted by: dannyf2 (IP Logged)
Date: 20 October, 2017 21:37

Why on earth did scarlets try to run the ball?! We had exactly the right game plan - bomb it up and tackle with ferocity. Haven't seen a better Bath pack display for a long time. Onwards!

Posted by: dr.bath1865 (IP Logged)
Date: 20 October, 2017 21:45

Superb performance. 1 to 23 put their bodies on the line and, most importantly, led by 8, 9 and 10, kept their heads firmly screwed on for 80 minutes.

I think we only conceded 3 penalties, which was vital and quite incredible given the conditions.

Well done all of them. Onwards indeed.

Posted by: OutsideBath (IP Logged)
Date: 20 October, 2017 21:47

Well I didn't see that coming, disciplined performance and played the conditions well. 80 mins with 15 players on the pitch!

Well done Bath.

Jack Wilson - Adopted player 2017/18

Posted by: ken_jnr (IP Logged)
Date: 20 October, 2017 21:51

Really efficient from Bath. Great game management and discipline all round.

Not a game that will convert many new fans but everyone executed their role really well and we should take great confidence from today.

Posted by: BathMatt53 (IP Logged)
Date: 20 October, 2017 21:54

Quote:
OutsideBath
Well I didn't see that coming.

No, really?

Posted by: hemington (IP Logged)
Date: 20 October, 2017 21:55

Quote:
OutsideBath
Well I didn't see that coming, disciplined performance and played the conditions well. 80 mins with 15 players on the pitch!
Well done Bath.

Do you ever see a victory coming?

And why is Ewels still in the team?

All ye of little faith and quick to blame enjoy your humble pie.

Posted by: shipwrecked (IP Logged)
Date: 20 October, 2017 22:19

Parc y Scarlets has to be the only place where they get reverse rain, the wind manages to make the rain come up from the ground!

Kahn and Rhys controlled the game, Underhill just tackles everything that moves and Faletau just seemed to love the rain.

Is that a serious comment about Ewells? The same Ewells that won the lineouts?

TBH on a dry pitch I think it would have been closer. Can't really comment on much else as I couldn't see for the driving rain. Saw the scoreboard though, that's all that counts. spinning smiley sticking its tongue out (Sm15) (Sm23)

Posted by: Bath Hammer (IP Logged)
Date: 20 October, 2017 22:55

There has been unjustified pessimism by some in advance of this game & exagerated confidence in this Scarlets team. Comparing them to Saracens at this stage is ludicrous. Also, all this harping on about Bathís inability to retain sufficient possession has again been countered. This was another professional & committed performance by this excellent Bath team.

Posted by: Substitute (IP Logged)
Date: 20 October, 2017 23:28

The frustration of Bath is that we pull out performances against Sarries, Scarlets and Leicester (great!) and then proceed to switch off against a Newcastle or a Saints (who while no slouches, are beatable).

We played the conditions perfectly and I think the conditions suited us.

I'm still concerned though: when the conditions aren't bad, how are we turning the ball over?

Posted by: BathMatt53 (IP Logged)
Date: 21 October, 2017 06:17

Forgot to say that RPs kicking continues to be hugely impressive. Those kicks were not easy in those conditions but he didnít look like missing other than the shot to nothing at the end.

Posted by: al Mossah (IP Logged)
Date: 21 October, 2017 07:01

We do NOT want RP putting in MotM performances in Wales. Gatland might notice.

Posted by: Clarkey3k (IP Logged)
Date: 21 October, 2017 07:10

Quote:
dcsh
Great, well fought win. We have 2 more pool point than the 6 that might have been expected.

Agreed, delighted with this away win in horrendous conditions against the PRO12 Champions. After our poor performance v Benetton last week this effort gets our Cup campaign back on track - well done Bath...

Adopted players: 2017-18 T Faletau; [17] D Denton; [16] H. Agulla; [15] L Houston; [14] W Spencer; [13] F. Louw

Change a life with a loan [www.deki.org.uk]

Date: 21 October, 2017 07:36

Quote:
BathMatt53
Forgot to say that RPs kicking continues to be hugely impressive. Those kicks were not easy in those conditions but he didnít look like missing other than the shot to nothing at the end.

+1

Surprised he took on that last kick, although it did allow for time to be wasted.

Posted by: hemington (IP Logged)
Date: 21 October, 2017 07:49

Quote:
shipwrecked

No it was suppossed to be ironic. All those who complained last week. Thought he was huge in the lineout, calling them as well and also captaining the team, talking to the ref etc.

Posted by: dr.bath1865 (IP Logged)
Date: 21 October, 2017 08:32

I thought Ewels played and captained brilliantly. Our lineout was 100%. He's highly impressive for his age and growing every game. The way we managed the 65 to 75-minute mark, with Ewels managing the ref, calming the players, making sure they kept the high tackles low etc, didn't allow Scarlets momentum.

Ewels as a player is interesting - he's no Itoje, but very few are, and he doesn't make many eye-catching hits or carries, but he feels increasingly important to the team, like a young Borthwick, or Kay, or Kruis. Our 'nuts and bolts' seem to have come on leaps and bounds, and I'd say Ewels (and Charteris) are vital to this.

In the wind and rain of west Wales, a lesser team would've lost their heads, shape and discipline. But Ewels, Kahn, TF, Priestland demanded that we stick to the plan. Very good.

Clark very good too, IMHO. Not flashy. Highly effective.

Posted by: shipwrecked (IP Logged)
Date: 21 October, 2017 08:34

Quote:
hemington
Quote:
shipwrecked

No it was suppossed to be ironic. All those who complained last week. Thought he was huge in the lineout, calling them as well and also captaining the team, talking to the ref etc.

I suspected that, completely agree and he can only get better.

Date: 21 October, 2017 08:42

This result is going to make the trip to Toulon more enjoyable and maybe more optimistic.

Posted by: fat lock (IP Logged)
Date: 21 October, 2017 08:48

Quote:
dr.bath1865

Clark very good too, IMHO. Not flashy. Highly effective.

+1
He's making the transition from 13 to 12 very well I think, especially in defence. Still needs to work on distribution, and not sure if he has a kicking option - but so far so good.

Posted by: annie blackthorn (IP Logged)
Date: 21 October, 2017 09:37

Soooo well done Bath boys! Horrible conditions didn't put you off your game - great to see the smiles at the end, long time since that happened.
Rhys = five gold stars! Must have been particularly sweet for him at the home of Scarlets - wiped clean a few memories.

Adoptee for 2017/18 James Phillips - newly arrived and bringing a wealth of experience in the Prem!

Posted by: Optimist (IP Logged)
Date: 21 October, 2017 10:13

I think in the cold light of day we should acknowledge that Scarlets' 5-day turnaround from an extremely draining game and full away travel must have impacted their energy levels. Irrespective of that, there were just so many positives from last night, and the shortening injury list, that one cannot but be optimistic about the season now.

Current Page: 4 of 5
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net