Current Page: 1 of 7
England v Australia
Posted by: shipwrecked (IP Logged)
Date: 14 November, 2017 15:52

Taken the liberty of qoting Hasta from the England v Argentina thread:

Quote:
hasta
Agree with that, I think Lawes at 6, Underhill/Robshaw at 7, Billy at 8. Missing Billy is by far the biggest issue though.

The squad has been announced for Saturday and biggest item to note is George Kruis is rested/dropped.

Backs: Mike Brown (Harlequins), Elliot Daly (Wasps), Jonny May (Leicester Tigers), Semesa Rokoduguni (Bath Rugby), Anthony Watson (Bath Rugby), Danny Care (Harlequins), Owen Farrell (Saracens), George Ford (Leicester Tigers), Jonathan Joseph (Bath Rugby), Henry Slade (Exeter Chiefs), Ben Youngs (Leicester Tigers).

Forwards: Charlie Ewels (Bath Rugby), Nathan Hughes (Wasps), Maro Itoje (Saracens), Joe Launchbury (Wasps), Courtney Lawes (Northampton Saints), Chris Robshaw (Harlequins), Sam Simmonds (Exeter Chiefs), Sam Underhill (Bath Rugby), Dan Cole (Leicester Tigers), Jamie George (Saracens), Dylan Hartley (Northampton Saints), Joe Marler (Harlequins), Mako Vunipola (Saracens), Harry Williams (Exeter Chiefs).

Bearing in mind that Eddie had a good idea of the side he wanted a month ago.

Interesting point re Billy V, in that he would be attacking the 9/10/12 channels where we were a bit inept on Saturday. Really looking forward to this one!!

Re: England v Australia
Posted by: BathMatt53 (IP Logged)
Date: 14 November, 2017 15:54

Bit of a surprise that:

'England second row George Kruis has been dropped for Saturday's Test against Australia at Twickenham.

Prop Ellis Genge and back Alex Lozowski have also been left out of the squad after coming on as replacements in the 21-8 win over Argentina at the weekend.

Loose-head prop Joe Marler replaces Genge in the 25-man squad after returning from suspension.

Bath's Charlie Ewels is named instead of Kruis while wing Jonny May is in contention after a hamstring injury.'

Don't get me wrong Charlie E. is great prospect for the future but personally I wouldn't pick him over Kruis against Australia.

Posted by: Barnetsarrie12 (IP Logged)
Date: 14 November, 2017 16:02

Not surprising at all, I said on the other thread, Kruis did not play well on saturday and Itoje this year in the six nations and even more importantly has shown that he can play TH lock and also run the line out. The advantage Kruis had there is negligible now as Itoje can call very well as he showed with the lions calling in the second and third tests.

The other point is Jones is a big fan of Ewels i think he will start against Samoa and might sneak unto the bench for saturday. He can call the line out as he did in Argentina and Eddie has mentioned him as someone who can play multiple positions as i think he has played 6 and also 8 for you guys.

Itoje starts when fit, Lawes has been playing out of his mind and the two of them together is an exciting combo, Launchbury will be on the bench, I love Kruis but no way Lawes can be benched with the way he is playing and Itoje starts when fit.

The interesting battle is between Simmonds and Ewels for a bench spot and i won't be surprised to see Ewels with the number 20 jersey on saturday

Date: 14 November, 2017 16:06

What a great position to be in with so many quality (and young) options!

Date: 14 November, 2017 16:09

Its difficult to fathom I agree Matt but I don't think he will make the team to be honest. I'm hoping May's hamster doesn't get better to be honest though whoever it is will have their work cut out!

Date: 14 November, 2017 16:12

Quote:
Barnetsarrie12
Itoje starts when fit, Lawes has been playing out of his mind and the two of them together is an exciting combo, Launchbury will be on the bench, I love Kruis but no way Lawes can be benched with the way he is playing and Itoje starts when fit.

I agree but has anyone noticed how often Lawes is stripped of the ball?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 14/11/2017 16:17 by shipwrecked.

Posted by: OutsideBath (IP Logged)
Date: 14 November, 2017 17:17

Would rather Ewells was with Bath.

Jack Wilson - Adopted player 2017/18

Date: 14 November, 2017 17:26

Quote:
shipwrecked
Quote:
Barnetsarrie12

I agree but has anyone noticed how often Lawes is stripped of the ball?

That is a good point, he does get stripped easily and a FH should not be stealing the ball from you like Hernandez did on saturday.

What is interesting for you bath fans is Alex Lowe is reporting as i just saw on the times that Eddie views Ewels as more of a world cup lock than Kruis, now that really will be big news and will mean a reshaping of the pecking order.

OutsideBath, I think Eddie is either planning to play Ewels from the bench on saturday or wants to wrap him in cotton wool as he wants him to play next week against Samoa from the start, i can't imagine Lawes or Itoje will be playing and as i have just said from the Alex Lowe report, Kruis might also not be playing and i would expect a second row of Launchbury and Ewels next weekend

Posted by: Substitute (IP Logged)
Date: 14 November, 2017 17:53

I can't wait for BOBs take on this... I presume Ewels must have levelled someone in training.

I do think Ewels has more of a future international-wise than Kruis. Given neither are going to start, or even bench, you might as well give Charlie the experience. Talent-wise, I think there are few locks with the potential of Ewels, so I hope Eddie can coax it out of him.

Great for Bath, 20% of the England squad currently play for us.

Date: 14 November, 2017 19:05

I read on Twitter that ewels totally lost it and beat up every man in the 23 substitute. They have now nicknamed him ‘psycho’ Ewels and he is the first man on the team sheet. BoB will be overjoyed when he hears the news.

Posted by: Trawling (IP Logged)
Date: 14 November, 2017 20:28

He has also donated all the trappings of his pampered past to the Bath branch of the Exeter supporters club and is currently sleeping rough in the woods at Pennyhill Park.

Posted by: Sirengco (IP Logged)
Date: 14 November, 2017 20:51

Hes a good on pitch leader and 2nd row but i would be very suprised if Ewels is viewed by Eddie as a back row cover too... his carrying is really not strong enough. He's seemed to go down too easily in the tackle this season - too keen to set up the next phase and not to grab the extra yards. Rarely works at international level

Posted by: Bath Hammer (IP Logged)
Date: 14 November, 2017 21:55

What’s happened to Kruis? A year or so ago he was verging on world class. Ewels rarely seems to make a major impact without doing mmuch wrong.

Posted by: cb2 (IP Logged)
Date: 15 November, 2017 11:16

Kruis has not improved his handling in the loose and is not a big carrier. We have Itoje, Lawes and Launchbury, so the other option has to be a massive carrier or a 4th back row player. Kruis looked poor on the Lions tour when sitting at the top table. I cannot, though, see what Eddie sees in Ewels to suggest he can help us win games against NZ. Maybe he is looking at him as a WC squad player who covers back row for the group games.

Posted by: Bathovalballer (IP Logged)
Date: 15 November, 2017 11:27

Well congratulations Mr Ewells.

Personally I just do not see what EJ sees in him as his performances to date at Bath have hardly been consistently steller. Stooke has contributed much more IMO. Hopefully he can bring some of what he produces and has learned in England training to Bath.

Date: 15 November, 2017 12:23

I think Eddie probably sees him as a good long term option at 22 who can maybe get better. The pecking order is Itoje, Lawes, launchbury and then Ewels is fourth at best i guess. I still think it is not all over for Kruis but he has to improve his carrying and other work around the field

Posted by: Big Dog (IP Logged)
Date: 15 November, 2017 17:08

Bathmatt and Trawling you had me in stitches (Sm100)

Tbh I understand why you may not see the hype in Ewels BoB. I think what is perhaps missed with Ewels is that he is an incredibly intelligent rugby player in the same way Itoje is.

He may not have the same physical carrying game of others just yet but he is developing that. What he is good at though is rarely giving penalties, understanding the tactical side of rugby - e.g. when to do what with regards to set pieces, score boards etc - and because he is a smart bloke he is more often than not in the right place at the right time as understands what is happening in front and around him.

If you consider he is only 22 the physical size of him will get better but his skillset and attitude have really turned Jones' head and I do honestly see him as an almost sure fire Bath captain one day and a potential future captain of England.

Adopted players: 2017-18 Shaun Knight

Date: 15 November, 2017 17:56

I agree with you Big Dog, I think people use Itoje imo to judge Ewels unfairly, Itoje is a once in a generation type of talent but apart from Itoje, if you look at George Kruis at 22 and where he was and where Ewels is now, Ewels is much further ahead.

I think Ewels is a very good player who will only get better, he is a bit like Launchbury in my opinion, he is good at everything without being world class or exceptional at any one thing.

Posted by: Optimist (IP Logged)
Date: 15 November, 2017 18:06

Did I imagine it, or did I read somewhere that Ewels is nicknamed 'Johnno' as a nod to just how good he is?

Posted by: Boldangrey (IP Logged)
Date: 15 November, 2017 19:47

Itoje is 23. Ewels is 22.

If Ewels is so good is he as good as Itoje was last year?

Current Page: 1 of 7
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net