Current Page: 1 of 3
Super Rugby
Posted by: Danchinho (IP Logged)
Date: 13 March, 2018 11:06

I certainly not an authority. Been watching it for a couple of seasons. So exciting, thought i'd share in case anyone here watches it too or is interested. The NZ teams are pretty special, so often played at break neck speeds. Crazy passing. Massive contact. Seriously exciting stuff. The stuff they try sometime is so risky.

Just watched the Lions (SA) last years losing finalists against the Blues (NZ). Played in Ellis Park. Quite high up so kicks travel for a really long way.

Blues have lost all their games so far and are considered the favourites for the wooden spoon amongst the NZ franchises. Tana Umaga is their DoR. They have players such as Sonny Bill Williams, the Ioane brothers, Kaino, Moala.

They beat the lions with a converted try in the last minute. 10 tries in the game in all. Breathtaking stuff. The Lions (who have players like Marx - surely the best hooker in the world atm, Jantjies, Rohan Janse van Rensburg, Lionel Mapoe).

Blues gave away a few tries through interceptions. Just throwing crazy passes. Strangely the Lions struggled with the physicality of the game in the final quarter. Akira Ioane was a monster, surely a candidate for the AB 8 if he can keep it up. Rieko Ioane played at 13, didn't come into it until later.

If you love NZ rugby and you want to see what these guys do at club level, Super Rugby is it. Got to be the most exciting club competition in the world.

I reckon a 'Super Cup' between the winners of Super Rugby ERCC would be awesome!

I probably don't know what i'm talking about.

Re: Super Rugby
Posted by: by (IP Logged)
Date: 13 March, 2018 12:09

I only really follow the derbies nowadays, the intensity of the Hurricanes vs Crusaders match last weekend was insane. I don't know how any of the players made it out of the changing room for the second half.

Racing 92 played the Hurricanes (I think) a couple of seasons ago, was an entertaining match but didn't hold a candle to the knock out stages within their own leagues.

Posted by: BathBurger (IP Logged)
Date: 13 March, 2018 12:29

Big fan of Super Rugby but really only watch the NZ teams if I'm honest. It's been a mad start to this season! Looks like it's going to be the Hurricanes v the Crusaders to win the NZ conference and the Super Rugby title.

I also watched the Blues game and have to say it really was pretty poor from the Lions to lose it from the position they were in. As you say with Umanga, SBW, Pulu and the Ioane brothers the Blues really should be performing as well as the chiefs and highlanders on a consistent basis. B Gatland looks strikingly similar to George Ford in 2015...

Date: 13 March, 2018 12:49

Crusaders have some amazing players but are little too practical if viewing from a pure entertainment perspective. Compared to the other NZ teams anyway (imo).
Conversely the Blues can be so wild you start wishing they'd just do the easy stuff now and again!

I know what you mean about the Lions. Given they let in 35 against the Bulls last week it does seem as if they're having a problem stopping the other team scoring. I was just surprised the Blues managed to out muscle the Lions during the last 20 mins, at altitude in the Lions back yard.
The Blues weakness does seem to have been their tight 5 so this weekends game was quite a result!

Posted by: Big Dog (IP Logged)
Date: 13 March, 2018 13:15

I personally love watching Super Rugby. I do predominantly watch the NZ teams play and then outside of that the Lions, Jaguares, Waratahs and this season, the Rebels, all try to play rugby in a really positive fashion for the most part which is entertaining to watch!

I must say the one thing I note about Super Rugby comparatively is that the reason that there is such high scoring matches is because the defences are sometimes so incredibly poor. If you watch highlights of this weeks matches I saw about 6/7 if not more tries that wouldn't have been conceded in the NH as the defence was just so weak or the opposition gave an easy 5 points to their competition!

With that said though I do love watching these talented players throw the ball around as it makes for great viewing as a neutral!

Adopted players:
2018-19 Jonathan Joseph
2017-18 Shaun Knight

Posted by: OutsideBath (IP Logged)
Date: 13 March, 2018 13:37

Watch as many games as I can, full on entertainment in nearly all the games.

Tom Dunn - Adopted player 2018/19

Date: 13 March, 2018 13:39

Agreed Big Dog, very different game but great for the neutral!

Danchino you make a good point about the Blues not having a great front 5 but it got me thinking: which of the NZ teams do? Crusaders have a great front 5 when all fit, where as all the others have one or two internationals sprinkled about. Which does make me wonder what the future All Blacks front five will be.

Crokett has retired. Owen Franks and Dane Coles really struggle with injury. Retallick and Whitelock are fantastic, but who is there in waiting? S Barrett has become a bit of a penalty magnet unfortunately.
That being said Aumua and Fidow look promising for the front row.

I get far too excited about all this stuff!

Date: 13 March, 2018 13:53

Good points BB.
I guess, as you say, Aumua. Maybe Tu'ungafasi, Laulala, Taylor, Hames (big noise about him recently), Tuipulotu. I do think S Barrett will become a main stay.
It's in the back row where the depth of quality really starts to shine imo. Liam Squires is outrageous. Akira Ioane looks like finding some consistency to go with so much talent. Then there's Sam Cane, Ardie Savea, Vaea Fifita - all coming through. It's ridiculous!

It seems to me that NZ teams don't bother too much trying to build a dominant scrum with 5 massive lumps. Looks more like they try to get the scrum to just hold, get the game restarted and then they've got a mobile front 5 who act like back rowers.

It seems the changes in the scrum laws are favouring them too.

Posted by: Pie-Half (IP Logged)
Date: 13 March, 2018 14:03

Admittedly i have not watched any of this season, but the Super touch i witnessed last season was so devoid of intensity, tackling, refereeing i turned off as was like watching colts B club rugby.

I know this is going to set me up foir attack, but i dont get all this fawning over Super rugby sides. Apart from Western Province, West Transvaal (to use their proper anmes) and the NZ teams its predominantly pointless one sided games.

Andy Goode's body double.

Bring back rucking and speed up the game. Simples, for rucks sake.

Anyone.But.Tiggers.

Charlie Ewels - Adopted player 2018/19
Levi Douglas - Adopted player 2017/18
Tom Homer - Adopted player 2016/17

Date: 13 March, 2018 14:07

Agreed the back row is unbelievably good. Matt Todd looks very unlucky not to be more involved with the All Blacks.

Though similarly to England the All Blacks also look like the centres haven't quite been sorted out. Once SBW and Crotty are out of the picture. Laumape and Goodhue? R Ioane wants to play at 13 by all accounts too. J Barrett at 12, Ioane at 13, Naholo and Milner-Skudder on the wings with McKenzie at 15 would be a very exciting prospect.

Date: 13 March, 2018 14:23

I think SBW is on the wain. Crotty is still good but seems to get hurt quite often. Lienert-Brown is his obvious replacement imo. Think he's a top player.

If i'm honest, i don't think Laumape has enough in his locker. Good at head down and charging but if he runs into someone who can hold him i think the rest of his skill set isn't truly AB standard. Goodhue looks a really good prospect though. I think the ABs are going to miss Fekitoa more than they would have hoped.
Rieko looked out of the game at 13 at the weekend. Came into it as space opened up (as you'd expect). Think he's way more dangerous on the wing.
Havilli, Tamanivalu, Aso, Faddes, Moala i guess will be competing for the spot.
Thinking about it though, there's no stand out 12s apart from Lienert-Brown (who can play 13 as well).

Date: 13 March, 2018 14:28

Agreed. Moala seems to be out of favour and Tamanivalu had just signed with Bordeaux, so we can knock them off the list.

Don't know how I forgot about Lienart-Brown! J Barrett has said he wants to offer his services as a 12 and has bulked up a bit for that reason so could be a strong contender. Rotation of them and Goodhue is a very reasonable option imv for the future.

Date: 13 March, 2018 14:43

IS Moala injured? Great crash ball alternative if on form and healthy. A L-B has incredible distribution.

What do you think of J Barrett?

I think he's well suspect defensively at 15. Don't know if he would be at 12. I guess he'd have to play a season there and be brilliant to be considered for the WC.

Posted by: by (IP Logged)
Date: 13 March, 2018 14:45

Vince Aso was very good at 13 for the Canes last season, don't think he was too far away from a call up. Moala and Ngatai both seemed to have fallen off the radar.

Date: 13 March, 2018 14:46

Think Ngatai had really bad concussion issues and i think is now playing at 15.

Date: 13 March, 2018 14:47

No I think Moala's fit, just been rotated out of the 23.

I think J Barrett has the potential to be as good as Beauden, his tackling is good but he is often out of position in defence as he looks for counter-attacking opportunities. Think he'd be a good 12 though as he likes playing at first receiver.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 13/03/2018 14:48 by BathBurger.

Posted by: DanWiley (IP Logged)
Date: 13 March, 2018 15:11

"I know this is going to set me up foir attack, but i dont get all this fawning over Super rugby sides"

I agree. It feels a bit like league to me. Yes, there's lots of attacking flair and big hits, but its somehow missing something. I usually put it down to not having a connection to any of teams though. I suspect I could get right into it with some sort of buy in, but usually when I watch I just end up a bit meh, so its a bit cyclic.

Posted by: OutsideBath (IP Logged)
Date: 13 March, 2018 15:30

For me the ball handling skills are far superior to anything we see in the PL and the games seem to flow better. Some of the defending is a bit suspect, but for the neutral who cares.

Tom Dunn - Adopted player 2018/19

Date: 13 March, 2018 16:07

Yes, it's horses for courses. My mate was a centre up to county level and he hates Super Rugby. No kidding. He loves watching fat forwards crawl through the mud and endless reset scrums. It's just his thing. He hates all the offloads, missed passes, crazy fast backs and crunching hits. I think that's odd for a former centre but his passion is his passion.

When i watch French club rugby i get bored easily. Each to their own.

Date: 13 March, 2018 16:08

Quote:
BathBurger
No I think Moala's fit, just been rotated out of the 23.
I think J Barrett has the potential to be as good as Beauden, his tackling is good but he is often out of position in defence as he looks for counter-attacking opportunities. Think he'd be a good 12 though as he likes playing at first receiver.

Has he played 12 for the Canes?

Current Page: 1 of 3
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net