Current Page: 1 of 2
Stay classy, Gloucester
Posted by: DownSouth (IP Logged)
Date: 17 May, 2018 15:37

Re: Stay classy, Gloucester
Posted by: Big Dog (IP Logged)
Date: 17 May, 2018 16:00

I saw this earlier. Does their new logo not look a bit like Leicester's as the guy in the video said and also it is a bit Lion like - Ackermann's old club being the Lions in SA!

Are they doing a Bristol and trying to find a more marketable way forward for the club?

Adopted players: 2017-18 Shaun Knight

Posted by: DanWiley (IP Logged)
Date: 17 May, 2018 16:22

"Are they doing a Bristol and trying to find a more marketable way forward for the club?"

Does this really work? I guess you have to say that does otherwise they wouldn't o it but really?

For what its worth, I think it would downgrade our brand. It's hard to say being so attached to the club, but I think Bath would actually lose some brand recognition if you appended "plugs". I know who Bath are, Bath whatevers I'm less sure about.

Put it this way:

If you asked if I wanted to go and see Glawcester Lions and I'd been a bit out of touch, I would have to check they meant the rugby.

If you asked me if I'd seen the Lions game, I'd probably think you were asking about some SA rugby.

It seems to detract somewhat. But even long term I don't quite see what it adds?

Posted by: woodpecker (IP Logged)
Date: 17 May, 2018 16:32

I guess all companies, orgainsations go through re-brands and there must be some value in it, maybe just the publicity covers the cost or having to buy stuff, not tattoos though as someone else gets the money for that

Date: 17 May, 2018 16:49

Rebranding is fair enough, but I don't see the value in adding the whatevers.

It's possibly just me, but I refer to Exeter, Newcastle, Wuss, Sale, I don't think many on here refer to the other names? It takes me a fraction of a seconds thought to think of their monikers. Wasps, Tiggers and Sarries are a bit different.

Posted by: BathMatt53 (IP Logged)
Date: 17 May, 2018 17:34

For clarity (as noted on the other thread) they are NOT going to be Gloucester Lions. The lion will appear on their badge / logo and be part of their branding (like Maximus is part of ours) but they remain Gloucester Rugby. It is nowhere near the Bristol rebrand.

Posted by: ballsout (IP Logged)
Date: 17 May, 2018 17:44

Their logo is utterly forgettable and generic. It blends in with all other sponsors on their jersey.

Date: 17 May, 2018 17:58

How long do you expect them Not to be called lions? All the statements to the contrary seem like protesting too much to me.

Posted by: hemington (IP Logged)
Date: 17 May, 2018 17:58

I'm more than happy with Bath Rugby - soon we'll be the only 'Rugby'

Date: 17 May, 2018 18:08

Quote:
DanWiley
How long do you expect them Not to be called lions? All the statements to the contrary seem like protesting too much to me.

They can only tattoo so many people with contrasting information!

The description of the process and explicit statements about keeping it as Gloucester Rugby makes me think that they actually mean it. They didn't have to add that statement (twice) in the Q&A if they were being sneaky.

Posted by: Substitute (IP Logged)
Date: 17 May, 2018 18:13

Every time I see it, I just see Chewbacca...

Date: 17 May, 2018 18:54

The Gloucester Wookies - love it!

Posted by: woodpecker (IP Logged)
Date: 17 May, 2018 20:17

A Bath is already an actual thing, so we're fine

Posted by: dannyf2 (IP Logged)
Date: 17 May, 2018 21:56

Didn't they finish below us? Oh yes, they did. Now what was I doing...

Posted by: sid the seagull (IP Logged)
Date: 17 May, 2018 23:16

Appalling, Glos are an actual proper rugby club what on Earth are they up to?
Sad for them but it gives me no pleasure.

HOP

Posted by: Toast and Marmite (IP Logged)
Date: 18 May, 2018 09:36

Quote:
sid the seagull
Appalling, Glos are an actual proper rugby club what on Earth are they up to?
Sad for them but it gives me no pleasure.

HOP
Agreed

"No sprinkles. For every sprinkle I find, I shall kill you."

Posted by: Dorset Boy (IP Logged)
Date: 18 May, 2018 12:15

Agreed too

Posted by: B4thB4ck (IP Logged)
Date: 18 May, 2018 12:43

Change for changes sake, the scourge of modern business management.

Posted by: Lebowski (IP Logged)
Date: 22 May, 2018 22:01

The lion has always been on the Gloucester crest. It is on the city crest and is integral to the identity of the city.

The logo was changed only about ten years ago from the city crest because the club was very limited in what it could do commercially as it didnít own the rights to it. There is no intention to change the name to Lions, either short term or long term. It is and will remain Gloucester Rugby.

As with any logo some will like it and some wonít. Personally I do. It isnít change for changeís sake, it is about trying to create a recognisable brand. I was at the launch and the rationale was fully explained. The existing, albeit only ten year old, logo was not recognisable. Even club employees struggled to describe it. Any brand, whether a rugby club or a pack of washing powder needs to be instantly recognisable. That doesnít always mean you have to like it. Some of the best adverts are ones you hate!

Date: 22 May, 2018 22:39

Simples.

Current Page: 1 of 2
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net