"If you gave me a year, Urban Meyer, Zeke Elliott, JJ Watt, Leonard Foutnette & an NFL practice squad, the US would so thoroughly dominate rugby, other countries would quit."
Posted by: joethefanatic (IP Logged)
Date: 06 June, 2018 06:38

[www.walesonline.co.uk]

Do we think they would?

... IMHO, of course.

Now in Honolulu

Re: "If you gave me a year, Urban Meyer, Zeke Elliott, JJ Watt, Leonard Foutnette & an NFL practice squad, the US would so thoroughly dominate rugby, other countries would quit."
Posted by: BathMatt53 (IP Logged)
Date: 06 June, 2018 06:53

No.

Re: "If you gave me a year, Urban Meyer, Zeke Elliott, JJ Watt, Leonard Foutnette & an NFL practice squad, the US would so thoroughly dominate rugby, other countries would quit."
Posted by: joethefanatic (IP Logged)
Date: 06 June, 2018 07:20

I might be prepared to pay money to watch them try...

smiling smiley

... IMHO, of course.

Now in Honolulu

Posted by: shipwrecked (IP Logged)
Date: 06 June, 2018 07:33

I've had a few years watching front rows and their 'dark arts' still not the faintest idea what is going on but then I was a back so perhaps that's the reason!

Date: 06 June, 2018 07:55

Are they going to use those enormously fat guys who slap each other as forwards? I doubt they could run 20 yards before throwing up, let alone for 80 mins.

The funny thing was that he watched a college rugby team which is where he got his view from. Give me the best premiership rugby players and they would probably look good playing American football against a UK university team. Physically Itoje, Roko, Auterac, Watson a match for any of those in the NFL, even without HGH.

Too much squeezy cheese for that guy has addled his teeny brain.

Posted by: cb2 (IP Logged)
Date: 06 June, 2018 10:55

I have been following the NFL pathway program and being a great athlete does not make them anything like good enough to make a difference. Jarryd Hayne actually made it onto the pitch, but made crucial risky calls, which an experienced player would never make. The same is true of players moving from another sport to rugby. It would be possible with 7s but not with real rugby.

Posted by: shipwrecked (IP Logged)
Date: 06 June, 2018 12:14

Have to say it would take a while to train out the inbuilt propensity for "crossing" to create an opening! Also jumping feet first at head height but lead to a few yellows!! (Sm124)

Posted by: DanWiley (IP Logged)
Date: 06 June, 2018 13:21

I don't think it would take much more than someone relaying the Burgess saga to convince most of the world otherwise.

Posted by: cb2 (IP Logged)
Date: 06 June, 2018 14:01

That's why the pathway program is trying to give them a couple of years to get up to speed. Burgess went straight in there. He might have made it by now, given 2 years with United and then a soft entry into the main side through the cups.

Posted by: Big Dog (IP Logged)
Date: 06 June, 2018 14:36

No chance in hell. NFL athletes are impressively strong and quick (sometimes suspiciously of each) but their endurance is not good enough to keep up with rugby.

Their understanding of the intricacies of the game would not be good enough and frankly their gameplan would be limited and easy to defend on the basis that nobody bar a few players have to catch and pass a ball in NFL where as in our game everyone from 1-15 needs to be good at this with the way the game is going!

What an incredibly dumb and arrogant statement to make! I saw he got a lot of backlash for it as well - perhaps unsurprisingly!

Adopted players:
2018-19 Jonathan Joseph
2017-18 Shaun Knight

Date: 06 June, 2018 14:45

Quote:
Big Dog
I saw he got a lot of backlash for it as well - perhaps unsurprisingly!

Yes, lots of backlash publicity.

Posted by: John Tee (IP Logged)
Date: 11 June, 2018 19:04

All the best athletes tend to go to the NFL if you are a ball player but size, speed and endurance needs to be tailored for the sport and some guys would be too big in their NFL guise to be useful at rugby.

But the points may well be if they resourced it...and to do this they'd have to compete with NFL wages,...then they probably have the player pool to be very useful
Indeed.
They are a force at sevens of late so if they got really serious they'd likely do well at 15's.

Date: 11 June, 2018 21:10

Quote:
John Tee
All the best athletes tend to go to the NFL if you are a ball player but size, speed and endurance needs to be tailored for the sport and some guys would be too big in their NFL guise to be useful at rugby.
But the points may well be if they resourced it...and to do this they'd have to compete with NFL wages,...then they probably have the player pool to be very useful
Indeed.
They are a force at sevens of late so if they got really serious they'd likely do well at 15's.

I think that the real doubt was with the timescale. Good athletes but know nowt about rugby and wouldn't pick it up in a year.

'Briefly watched college rugby today while getting a hair cut b/c they wouldn’t turn on golf. Conclusion: If you gave me a year, Urban Meyer, Zeke Elliott, JJ Watt, Leonard Foutnette & an NFL practice squad, the US would so thoroughly dominate rugby, other countries would quit.'

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/06/2018 21:44 by BathMatt53.

Date: 11 June, 2018 21:41

I still say that Burgess, a hell of an athlete, who plays a similar game got nowhere near in a year to even bring competitive.

Posted by: hasta (IP Logged)
Date: 11 June, 2018 21:46

Burgess was excellent at 6 at the end of that season and particularly in the Prem final. England forced him into 12 which was wrong for him.

Posted by: Boldangrey (IP Logged)
Date: 11 June, 2018 21:59

Ego plays a big part when elite athletes cross over sports.

Date: 12 June, 2018 07:56

Excellent 6? I think I'd take most decent international 6s ahead of him. Passable ap standard, maybe, with big issues in his game. A lot of talent as well, but you can afford one such player not 23.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net