Current Page: 1 of 5
Hooper
Posted by: rodoftherec (IP Logged)
Date: 07 November, 2018 16:13

Well the guidelines suggest start a new thread ! Why is this man featuring in our future ? I am sure he is a super bloke but what has he ever achieved - he was an average player and a below average on field captain. He reminds me of Lee Johnson at Bristol City - has a cosy relationship with the owner ( who knows why ?? ) but has no record of any sort of success, he can just talk the talk as others have said but a lot of us can do that !
Something does not ring true - no way he has any sort of qualification for a senior post at the club - the future looks bleak with him in it!

Re: Hooper
Posted by: @Hydor18 (IP Logged)
Date: 07 November, 2018 16:22

Quote:
rodoftherec
What has he ever achieved - he was an average player and a below average on field captain.

For a start, he played in the Leeds side that beat us in the Powergen Cup at Twickenham in 2005. And there are plenty of his peer group who are on record as saying he was an inspiration to play under, not to mention the fact he is Bath's longest serving captain.

Aside from that, I guess you have a point

Posted by: joethefanatic (IP Logged)
Date: 07 November, 2018 16:51

Quote:
rodoftherec
Well the guidelines suggest start a new thread ! Why is this man featuring in our future ? I am sure he is a super bloke but what has he ever achieved - he was an average player and a below average on field captain. He reminds me of Lee Johnson at Bristol City - has a cosy relationship with the owner ( who knows why ?? ) but has no record of any sort of success, he can just talk the talk as others have said but a lot of us can do that !
Something does not ring true - no way he has any sort of qualification for a senior post at the club - the future looks bleak with him in it!

I'm curious. What is it that you think Hooper's job is?

... IMHO, of course.

Now in Honolulu

Posted by: Bathovalballer (IP Logged)
Date: 07 November, 2018 16:55

An inspiration to play under? Remind me when we won the Premiership under his on field leadership or anything else come to that?

If he was our longest serving captain, he should have had plenty of time to put things right and lead us to glory. Didn't happen as I recall.

So why will it happen with him as General Manager/Director of Rugby whatever he is called? Has he got a bona fide coaching qualification or any sort of management qualification? Has he had any such experience before and have a portfolio of success to wave around? I must have missed that.

Apart from seemingly saying the right things at he right time, he has done diddly squat to improve or change things for the better as far as I can see. That is why I for one am so worried, especially after his passionless, speechless touchline displays over the past two weekends. If he had any ideas, he certainly didn't try to help the team win those games although he was in an ideal position to communicate with the players.

He might be a very nice person, but I have never spoken to him nor have a number of other long term supporters I know. He doesn't come across as the most approachable or charismatic character. Far removed from a gresat communicator like Baxter or Young or Lam to name a few. Do the players truly like and respect him? I am not sure.

Very very concerning for the future of Bath Rugby.

Adopted player 2018/19 Semesa Rokoduguni

The Rock that is Semesa and how he will be rocking this season.

Posted by: shipwrecked (IP Logged)
Date: 07 November, 2018 17:18

Quote:
Bathovalballer
Very very concerning for the future of Bath Rugby.

Why BoB, I don't know much about him so I was hoping for some fact to make up my mind, but in about 450 words of personal opinion I'm still no better off.

I know he represented the players when SB quit union, showed leadership then, he was an automatic pick when playing.

The rumour has it that Hooper will defer to Stuart Lancaster and Girvan Dempsey in rugby matters.

His role is:

Performance and Player Development Director - a role which includes supporting the coaching staff in developing player skills and running the Performance aspects of the Rugby department.

Darren Atkins Age 21 years, Fullback, 6 ft 1 in, 13 st 4 lbs. Chance to shine in 18/19 with AW's injury!

https://image.ibb.co/maFJzT/darren_atkins_4.jpg

Posted by: rodoftherec (IP Logged)
Date: 07 November, 2018 17:30

Just for once I have to say that BoB has it spot on !

Posted by: hasta (IP Logged)
Date: 07 November, 2018 17:36

Remind me what sort of player Graham Henry was? Or Steve Hansen? Or Eddie Jones? Or Stuart Lancaster? Or Dave Rennie? Or Rob Baxter?

Remind me what sort of DoR Martin Johnson was?

Posted by: DanWiley (IP Logged)
Date: 07 November, 2018 17:55

Just because great player doesn't equal great coach, doesn't mean that average player does equal great coach or dor or whatever.

We need a great person to sit at the top of our rugby pyramid and dictate all that goes below that. From there everything will follow.

Hooper could be that person, but he's no more likely than any one of many thousands people. In fact, given what we've seen of the club since he took up his role, he looks less likely than most of those.

My concern is he's getting the role because he's Bruce's yes man and ultimate fall guy.

Posted by: TG Kesmo (IP Logged)
Date: 07 November, 2018 18:02

It does seem that some on the board are directly relating coaching ability with playing ability. As Hasta has pointed out they are not directly related. Do natural leaders make the best coaches again not necessarily.. but Stuart Hooper has not been suggested as head coach. The qualities required for a general manager seem more aligned with Hoopers skill set. One would assume that Bruce didnít get where he is today without being able to identify a good managerial prospect. So I for one will wait and see if Bruce knows more about suitable managers than the posters on this board who have already declared his choice useless.

Posted by: Bath Hammer (IP Logged)
Date: 07 November, 2018 18:16

Quote:
hasta
Remind me what sort of player Graham Henry was? Or Steve Hansen? Or Eddie Jones? Or Stuart Lancaster? Or Dave Rennie? Or Rob Baxter?
Remind me what sort of DoR Martin Johnson was?

Exactly & how good a coach was Martin Johnson despite an outstanding playing career. Besides, his role will not be head coach.

Date: 07 November, 2018 18:29

No, head coaches come and go, the real talent we need is a DOR.

There's three possibilities:

We don't see hooper (or anyone else) as a a DoR. That's bad because we need one.

We do see hooper as our future DoR. That concerns me as I don't see what hooper had done to suggest he's got that unique talent, but I can believe he would let Bruce play with his trains.

We're getting in someone as a DoR, all this speculation is misguided and hopefully we're going places. This might be the case but the speculation knocking around seems to make the alternative a reasonable thing to discuss.

Posted by: shipwrecked (IP Logged)
Date: 07 November, 2018 18:46

What qualities does a Director of Rugby need then and what do they do? I'm not sure they all have the same role. While we are on it can someone name a good one.

All seems a bit arbitrary.

Darren Atkins Age 21 years, Fullback, 6 ft 1 in, 13 st 4 lbs. Chance to shine in 18/19 with AW's injury!

https://image.ibb.co/maFJzT/darren_atkins_4.jpg

Posted by: B4thB4ck (IP Logged)
Date: 07 November, 2018 19:00

I think we can all point to poor results and technical failings but I am intrigued to know why it is Hooper's fault and not any of the coaches who are more directly responsible for those issues.

No one seems concerned about the loss of 2 coaches at the end of the season and Girvan has been welcomed yet maybe Hooper had some input into those changes and deserves some credit if any is due?

I don't know Hooper or any players, just guessing and playing devils advocate as we are all just remote observers.

Posted by: ballsout (IP Logged)
Date: 07 November, 2018 19:20

The proof is in the pudding. Hooper has been in charge of our second string/United side during probably their worst period in a decade. They were regularly getting humped by 60 points last year, including at the Rec. This season they've won once, against Gloucester. Talented players being wasted, at A league and senior level.

Posted by: CoochieCoo (IP Logged)
Date: 07 November, 2018 19:23

As I understand it Hoops will be in charge of rugby matters but will not be responsible with primary coaching. He will be responsible for employing the coaches and the buck will stop with him if the rugby department does not perform. His coaching credentials are non existent as he has admitted himself. He has worked with Lancaster in his Leeds days and no doubt he has learnt a lot from his playing days at Leeds and Bath under different coaches as to what sort of coach works and what doesn't.

It is a brave move not only for him but for Bruce and if it isn't Hoops then the alternative is Bruce or Tarquin meddling or another recruit from outside Bath and we have seen a fair few of those. I think there appears to be some coherent thinking in this decision and if Hoops can attract top coaches in his rugby department and we have consistency in the coaching dept it must be good news.

http://zdgzqa.bay.livefilestore.com/y1p7Mwi7pLXeM89TY2KFdDQ-UUDGSv1FKNdhYdrW-koAuRN3tsqCPfE3onFxuO-3cZ0057Tom1uJai3vjkz3dvY_Q/1998%20Euro%20Champs.jpg http://zdgzqa.bay.livefilestore.com/y1pFul9UAV5zEXOzeRc1kmmlgDKXTYTIlTnGoQzYelH6KzdCeU-exN0IGo74QN2OGvlSoEiVjzAESvHx9BFlBsNFA/Bath%202008.jpg

Date: 07 November, 2018 19:40

I agree it's brave. I also also broadly agree with your definition of dor. He's the long term strategist, recruits coaches and players in order to play a given style. He's not in charge of implementing The next step in that strategy, that's where the coaches come in.

I also agree that people confuse these roles really easily, but they are completely distinct they have a focus and goals that are not the same. If you put a head coach, or any coach or even player, under a DoR who doesn't buy into his strategy, you're asking to fail, hence why it has to flow down from him. It's possible for a single person to do both roles, but you're asking a lot of them, particularly at this level.

Hooper dictating strategy to Lancaster or our current coaches? He'd have to be pretty inspirational.

Posted by: BathMatt53 (IP Logged)
Date: 07 November, 2018 19:43

Quote:
ballsout
The proof is in the pudding. Hooper has been in charge of our second string/United side during probably their worst period in a decade. They were regularly getting humped by 60 points last year, including at the Rec. This season they've won once, against Gloucester. Talented players being wasted, at A league and senior level.

BO last season we had so many injuries that the match I watched had 13 uni kids against a half decent Quins side. Not even Wizbit could have pulled off that magic trick.

Having said that, this year we have been pants with a string (on paper) team so I agree with you.

[Adoptee 18/19: Man Mountain Dave Attwood, back in the BB&W and ready to smash]

Posted by: joethefanatic (IP Logged)
Date: 07 November, 2018 19:49

Quote:
DanWiley
I agree it's brave. I also also broadly agree with your definition of dor. He's the long term strategist, recruits coaches and players in order to play a given style. He's not in charge of implementing The next step in that strategy, that's where the coaches come in.
I also agree that people confuse these roles really easily, but they are completely distinct they have a focus and goals that are not the same. If you put a head coach, or any coach or even player, under a DoR who doesn't buy into his strategy, you're asking to fail, hence why it has to flow down from him. It's possible for a single person to do both roles, but you're asking a lot of them, particularly at this level.

Hooper dictating strategy to Lancaster or our current coaches? He'd have to be pretty inspirational.

I don't think he necessarily needs to be inspirational, as DOR he just needs to be clear about what the club vision is and what the associated success criteria are. It's the head coach's job to deliver that.

... IMHO, of course.

Now in Honolulu

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/11/2018 19:50 by joethefanatic.

Date: 07 November, 2018 19:53

Ok, fair enough. But can you see Dempsey taking that from someone someone with his experience?

The only way I can is if he's inspirational, not necessarily in a "God, Harry and st George!" Way, but he's got to have something about him I've not seen.

Date: 07 November, 2018 19:56

To be clear, the dor isn't just seeing goals and measuring results. He's got to provide the strategy, that's why he gets big bucks and why he's more influential then the HC. That means, whilst the HC had an interest in recruitment, the dor has to have the final say, is his job.

Current Page: 1 of 5
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net