17. Sam Nixon

18. Victor Delmas

19. Tom Doughty

20. Josh Bayliss

21. Chris Cook

22. Max Wright

23. Joe Cokanasiga

P G Tips

Alex Davies: my adopted Player, 2018-19.

Re: Team's Up!
Posted by: gaz59 (IP Logged)
Date: 08 November, 2018 11:32

Difficult to see anything but one result though great opportunity for younger players to get first team experience

Posted by: ballsout (IP Logged)
Date: 08 November, 2018 11:34

WTF.

How are they not playing a strong team to lead into next week's must win game? Why play a strong team last week? Muddled selection.

Posted by: SJS (IP Logged)
Date: 08 November, 2018 11:46

We're getting a battering... (Sm141)

Posted by: Barnoid (IP Logged)
Date: 08 November, 2018 11:53

Quote:
ballsout
WTF.
How are they not playing a strong team to lead into next week's must win game? Why play a strong team last week? Muddled selection.

Contrast our approach to this competition with that of Worcester: they appear to have put out near full strength teams for both of the first two games (though it'll be interesting to see what sort of team they pick for their game against Saracens on Sunday) and have achieved a couple of good wins.

I presume the thinking behind our selection is that our first team will be fresh and rested come the 17th whereas Worcester will have momentum and good confidence - albeit at the risk of picking up injuries and the general attrition associated with a full schedule.

Posted by: fat lock (IP Logged)
Date: 08 November, 2018 11:57

I'm minded of Fred Trueman - 'you might change the bowlers, but you haven't changed the bowling.'
Frankly I don't think it'll matter who gets picked - the whole club is playing badly - why should this be any different?

Posted by: johnnyf (IP Logged)
Date: 08 November, 2018 12:03

Oh dear, here we go again!
Who's muddled thinking is behind this.
No.don't tell me I think I know.

Posted by: Optimist (IP Logged)
Date: 08 November, 2018 12:05

Having lost twice, I assume we're as good as out of the cup?

In which case, selection criteria change from, 'can we win this game?', to 'let's rest, rotate and give experience'.

Given the past 2 weeks, I couldn't care less who they select or what the result is. I'd just like to see some rhyme or reason to the performance.

I also think all 3 games will be entirely forgotten if we get a win against Worcester. Looking for a positive, it may well be that the benefits of these selections become apparent at the back end of the season, when first-choice players have had a decent rest, and some younger players have gained sufficient experience to perform well when they are needed for a real match.

Date: 08 November, 2018 12:06

It makes no sense to have played a strong team last week and put out our weakest Cup team the weak before a must win game.

Date: 08 November, 2018 12:12

The only sense in this selection is whether you think it helps us or hinders us in winning the Worcester game. I can see both arguments - rest/refresh, or win/momentum - but how it relates to last week's selection is beyond irrelevant.

Date: 08 November, 2018 12:18

No, it isn't beyond irrelevant, it's indicative of the whole muddled selection process. If you're going to play a strong team, play it the week before a must win game, not in the middle of a development competition.

I can easily see us being completely undercooked for Worcester, they storm ahead by three tries and we barely fire a shot before half time. Then the usual fightback when we have to play some rugby.

Posted by: TG Kesmo (IP Logged)
Date: 08 November, 2018 12:26

I think itís indicative of who they think is liable to function on a plastic pitch darent risk the knees of some of our players. Personally I think no first class rugby should be played on fully plastic pitches but others may disagree.

Posted by: BathMatt53 (IP Logged)
Date: 08 November, 2018 12:27

Eeek, they have a strong team, I fear a humping.

Newcastle Falcons XV
15. Simon Hammersley
14. Alex Tait
13. Pedro Bettencourt
12. Johnny Williams
11. Sinoti Sinoti
10. Joel Hodgson
9. Michael Young
1. Sam Lockwood
2. George McGuigan
3. Jon Welsh
4. Calum Green
5. Andrew Davidson
6. Ryan Burrows
7. Gary Graham
8. Callum Chick

I see that Josh Bainbridge is a loan player - anyone know anything about him? He seems to be a Yorkshire C starter this season.

[Adoptee 18/19: Man Mountain Dave Attwood, back in the BB&W and ready to smash]

Date: 08 November, 2018 12:30

Newcastle doing it right with their team

Posted by: ken_jnr (IP Logged)
Date: 08 November, 2018 12:45

Yeah I donít think Iíll bother travelling up to watch that team. In fact I probably wonít go up next week either after last seasonsí ďeffortĒ up there so itís probably unfair of me to single out these players as the reason for staying at home.

Posted by: B4thB4ck (IP Logged)
Date: 08 November, 2018 12:52

We all know that we need to re start the season in the Prem so would rather we had a team of youngsters playing at 100% than half a team of 1st choice playing at 90% - that is when injuries are more likely to occur. We wouldn't learn anything unless we played our best 23 and I don't think we can afford to take that chance.

Its either all 1st choice in or none at all for me. I see the sense in both arguments.

Date: 08 November, 2018 12:57

Of all the teams announced so far, us, Newcastle, Tigers and Sale, we're the only ones doing a lambs to the slaughter. The other three are playing near full strength teams.

Posted by: B4thB4ck (IP Logged)
Date: 08 November, 2018 13:01

Maybe they feel better strength in depth at this time.

Posted by: TG Kesmo (IP Logged)
Date: 08 November, 2018 13:08

Weather forecast is absolutely dire rain and strong winds

Date: 08 November, 2018 13:16

"No, it isn't beyond irrelevant, it's indicative of the whole muddled selection process. If you're going to play a strong team, play it the week before a must win game, not in the middle of a development competition."

We fielded a team to win against Exeter. But we lost. Therefore, if there was originally a 3-game, coherent selection strategy for this competition, it's now in the basket. I'm not trying to defend the performance against Exeter, I'm just saying that the strategy (such as it is) has taken account of the circumstances, which is only sensible. It doesn't indicate a muddle, it just illustrates the old Mike Tyson saying, 'Everyone has a plan until they get punched in the face'.

And 'If you're going to play a strong team, play it the week before a must win game' - that's an opinion, not a fact. They've chosen to take a different approach - and they have access to infinitely more information than you do in regard to players' fitness, tiredness and their season-long planning cycle.

Repeat: I do not disagree with you that we have been inexcusably poor on the field. But you are shoehorning stuff to fit into your anti-TB/SH line.

Current Page: 1 of 6
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net