Current Page: 1 of 5
THE PLAN
Posted by: sid the seagull (IP Logged)
Date: 02 December, 2018 20:45

Appears to be, give it to a prop in the middle of the pitch and then watch everything disintegrate at glacial speed.
We have great players.
We do not have great coaches or it seems a plan.

HOP

Re: THE PLAN
Posted by: Coalminer (IP Logged)
Date: 03 December, 2018 09:05

My view is that both sides had a clear plan yesterday and they both had the same plan - slow it down, kick it and try to force errors.

I wont speak for Sale fans but from my perspective as s Bath supporter the plan failed on two levels. Firstly we didn't win and secondl, watching the match was a dire experience.

Posted by: Bath Supporter Jack (IP Logged)
Date: 03 December, 2018 09:13

Also if you adopt that type of plan then you need to execute it well and frankly our kicking, both from hand and at goal was not good.

I re-watched the game last night, yes I know I am mad, and it struck me in the first half we did phase after phase on their line and sadly never looked like scoring. In the second half Sale had a line out and four phases later had scored.

Surely, surely that is something we can train and practice to do?

Posted by: Optimist (IP Logged)
Date: 03 December, 2018 09:15

I honestly don't understand why elimination of errors constitutes a way to win a game of rugby. Nobody sets out to make mistakes in any circumstances, so that should be a given. But if the entire pre-match spiel is 'don't make any mistakes' it's almost bound to create a negative mindset, leading to loss of confidence when a mistake does occur - and it's rugby, so they do occur - on days wet and dry. Why not just accept that and focus on trusting each other's skills to prevail over the course of 80 minutes?

What was that match that Bath won by about 60 points in an absolute swimming pool about 15 years ago - against Llanelli at the Rec??

Posted by: BathMatt53 (IP Logged)
Date: 03 December, 2018 09:18

Itís like the Ďanti barbariansí approach...

[Adoptee 18/19: Man Mountain Dave Attwood, back in the BB&W and ready to smash]

Posted by: woodpecker (IP Logged)
Date: 03 December, 2018 09:21

Quote:
BathMatt53
Itís like the Ďanti barbariansí approach...

To some degree, however the way that they look as if they have never met each other is pretty barbarian-esque

Posted by: annie blackthorn (IP Logged)
Date: 03 December, 2018 09:42

(Sm147)(Sm105)(Sm56)

Date: 03 December, 2018 11:03

From Glos match report, "in a back division orchestrated by Danny Cipriani Thorley received the ball 15 times"

What wouldn't Joe and Roko give for this!

Posted by: TG Kesmo (IP Logged)
Date: 03 December, 2018 13:25

Quote:
Optimist
From Glos match report, "in a back division orchestrated by Danny Cipriani Thorley received the ball 15 times"
What wouldn't Joe and Roko give for this!

My take on this is we are playing too flat and passing to the next guy in line so getting stopped way before it gets to the wings or they get the ball with zero space to work with.

We threw 1 miss pass on Sunday and guess what we scored. It would be good if we had the space playing as flat as we are but with modern defences and line speed it ainít gonna happen. We need to give ourselves a fraction more space and if that means coming faster from deeper or finding a second playmaker then go for it. We might even drop less passes.

Date: 03 December, 2018 15:41

Yes Kesmo but the pattern is so crushingly identical every game it is clear to me that they are being told and trained to play exactly as they are. As others have said the only time we scored was when a couple of good players decided to go off script and played what was in front of them. We have a squad of gifted players that is producing results that is distinctly less than the sum of itís parts. The coaches have to be responsible.

SQUAWK

Posted by: Bath Supporter Jack (IP Logged)
Date: 03 December, 2018 15:49

Seeing Blackadder after the match on TV he said the players did not play in the first half how it had been agreed they would play.

He looked very tired and fed-up........as if he would rather be somewhere else.

Posted by: Tomato Soup (IP Logged)
Date: 03 December, 2018 15:52

My solution is to watch our games using the fast forward button and play them at x6 speed.

You find its not quite so bad then and you can also fit something else into your afternoon.

Yesterday the Christmas tree went up. Couldn't be done unless x6 on playback.

There you go - Nice positive half full post.

Thanks to all the players at Bath for "helping me out".

Posted by: Tomato Soup (IP Logged)
Date: 03 December, 2018 16:00

Personally I think that The Plan is to let TB carry on until after the world cup and then try to get a decent coach in.

I would like to see us approach Steve Borthwick and make him an offer he can't refuse.

He has experience of the Sarries methods and working with Eddie and England.

Don't know how we would get him but he has more heart in it that Todd will ever have.

Date: 03 December, 2018 20:52

Quote:
sid the seagull
the only time we scored was when a couple of good players decided to go off script and played what was in front of them.
That try was all Vuna. Yes, Wilson chucked a decent mispass from very, very flat to the defence - but that was not a try made by Wilson. It was manufactured out of absolutely nothing by Vuna.

Posted by: gaz59 (IP Logged)
Date: 03 December, 2018 21:08

I see Farleigh was open on Sunday to a coaching session with 13 to 16 year olds, wonder if the players learnt anything

Posted by: hasta (IP Logged)
Date: 03 December, 2018 21:53

Quote:
Optimist
Quote:
sid the seagull
the only time we scored was when a couple of good players decided to go off script and played what was in front of them.
That try was all Vuna. Yes, Wilson chucked a decent mispass from very, very flat to the defence - but that was not a try made by Wilson. It was manufactured out of absolutely nothing by Vuna.

Agreed, and if a Sale defender had been watching the playlist and not just his man, the flat pass could have easily been intercepted. Class from Vuna.

Posted by: annie blackthorn (IP Logged)
Date: 03 December, 2018 21:54

They wouldn't have been there - having a (well deserve?)d day off after their exertions.

Posted by: BathMatt53 (IP Logged)
Date: 04 December, 2018 06:23

Skills were Saturday, match Sunday

[Adoptee 18/19: Man Mountain Dave Attwood, back in the BB&W and ready to smash]

Posted by: shipwrecked (IP Logged)
Date: 04 December, 2018 07:26

Quote:
hasta
Quote:
Optimist
Quote:
sid the seagull

Agreed, and if a Sale defender had been watching the playlist and not just his man, the flat pass could have easily been intercepted. Class from Vuna.

The fact that the game is seeing so many interceptions from flat ball confirms in my mind the fact that we are just passing to order rather than seeing and playing whats in front of us.
I'm not talking about this instance as it is clearly the exception. Quins exposed Exeters rush defence at the weekend, rugby guile from Gustard perhaps?

Darren Atkins Age 21 years, Fullback, 6 ft 1 in, 13 st 4 lbs. Chance to shine in 18/19 with AW's injury!

https://i.ibb.co/sbQsmcr/darren-atkins-5.jpg

Date: 04 December, 2018 07:35

OK a further thought.
When Girvan Dempsey arrived it was stated Pre season I think that we intended to alter things to attack much more off quick phase 1 ball.
I see zero evidence of this, why?

FLAP

Current Page: 1 of 5
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net