An 8 year olds thoughts on the Sale game
Posted by: Thoughtsonbath (IP Logged)
Date: 03 December, 2018 07:04

Watching the game with my 8 year old yesterday, he asked a few questions which I thought summed up the game and performance pretty well.

1. Why does the number 9 take so long to pass the ball?
2. Why do they kick it so much?
3. Why are professional players worse at catching a ball than my U9 team?
4. Why do so many players receive the ball stood still?

If an 8 year old who has been playing rugby for 2.5 years see this why canít the coaches / players?

Re: An 8 year olds thoughts on the Sale game
Posted by: DanWiley (IP Logged)
Date: 03 December, 2018 07:30

Perhaps 2 and 3 are related? Though, in fairness, players seem better at claiming high balls than passes at times.

Posted by: johnnyf (IP Logged)
Date: 03 December, 2018 07:43

Out of the mouths of babes and sucklings.............

Posted by: Boldangrey (IP Logged)
Date: 03 December, 2018 07:46

Sign him up!

Posted by: Bathovalballer (IP Logged)
Date: 03 December, 2018 07:56

I fell in love with the game at the age of 8/9 when I saw you could handle the ball and run with it, unlike football when more skill was needed which I did not possess. It seems to me that Bath have forgotten what young Webb Ellis did all those years ago and also have forgotten to enjoy the thrill of it as well. If just has become like any other employment, a job that pays (very well) the bills and as we cannot see any improvement, a complete lack of empathy or care for the game.

Trajic and wish I could have had a job which I both enjoyed and excited me.

It was revealing to me how the 'new boy' Wilson seamlessly started to run with the ball and brought a fresh impetus to the drudgery that had gone before. He seemed to enjoy himself and how his input picked up a previous flat, leaderless performance which one or two others also appreciated. Is there any other guys we can fly in to add to this impetus?

Adopted player 2018/19 Semesa Rokoduguni

The Rock that is Semesa and how he will be rocking this season.

Posted by: SJS (IP Logged)
Date: 03 December, 2018 08:42

At half time the minis took the pitch and many around me remarked that the standard of play then was better than during the match!

Posted by: woodpecker (IP Logged)
Date: 03 December, 2018 08:47

I watched the first half at my local rugby club, then I went home. I actually forgot to watch the second half, genuinely.

Posted by: Flumpty (IP Logged)
Date: 03 December, 2018 08:59

Quote:
Thoughtsonbath
Watching the game with my 8 year old yesterday, he asked a few questions which I thought summed up the game and performance pretty well.
1. Why does the number 9 take so long to pass the ball?

He was watching the wrong #9

..................... I'll get my coat

p.s. Faf was Faf like all game (Sm128)

Posted by: Bath Supporter Jack (IP Logged)
Date: 03 December, 2018 09:19

I thought when Chudley and Super Cooper Vuna came on it looked like we were trying to do something.

By the way SCV looks in great condition as compared to when he joined us....

Posted by: Optimist (IP Logged)
Date: 03 December, 2018 09:20

It felt inevitable that Wilson would be less encumbered by the general malaise that has settled over the team in the last couple of months, and bring a bit of simple rugby nous to the game. I didn't think Burns was the one to take off - he played as well as anyone (yes, I appreciate that's damming him with very faint praise) - but Wilson seemed to understand that some simple changes of direction and point of attack might put the defence off balance sufficiently.

I'd like to see him at 15 on Saturday in order to reprise the dual playmaker role that made us look a bit more fluid in attack for a couple of games with RP/Burns.

Posted by: annie blackthorn (IP Logged)
Date: 03 December, 2018 09:39

I only watched 2nd half of 2nd half - dire.

I noted that it was Wilson and Coka who had the quick wits and got us that try - right at the end of what must have been an energy sapping game. Two 'newbies' to the regime- let's hope they too don't get worn down by whatever is ailing the rest of them.

I still believe its all being done by committee. Or 'too many chiefs' etc. do note hover, that there are other excellent clubs who are still below us - maybe something is amiss the English professional rugby players generally? Facetiously, we can hardly blame Brexit malaise now can we?

Date: 03 December, 2018 09:44

And there was me thinking Cooper Vuna was involved!

Posted by: BathBurger (IP Logged)
Date: 03 December, 2018 09:47

Quote:
Boldangrey

Nope. That double outside step was a trick of the lights.

Posted by: SJS (IP Logged)
Date: 03 December, 2018 10:19

Quote:
Boldangrey

In fairness, from the stands it initially looked like it was Big Joe making the break as I think he and SuperCooper have the same bright orange boots.

Obv when the replay was shown it was a bit clearer though! ;-)

Date: 03 December, 2018 10:25

Wilson to Vuna.

Vuna chip for Joe C who had come over from the other wing.

Posted by: ballsout (IP Logged)
Date: 03 December, 2018 12:40

Quote:
Bathovalballer
It was revealing to me how the 'new boy' Wilson seamlessly started to run with the ball and brought a fresh impetus to the drudgery that had gone before.

Our useless coaching team will soon beat that out of him don't worry.

Posted by: B4thB4ck (IP Logged)
Date: 03 December, 2018 17:12

It does make you wonder, with the talent on the pitch and ignoring the conditions, what would have happened had the coaching team been kidnapped (don't get any ideas anyone) at the beginning of the week.

It would force the hand of the senior players to show the leadership that some are complaining about, sort out the calls and play with a bit more freedom - are they over coached? Is that why the newer players look so different?

Posted by: woodpecker (IP Logged)
Date: 03 December, 2018 17:25

Quote:
B4thB4ck
It does make you wonder, with the talent on the pitch and ignoring the conditions, what would have happened had the coaching team been kidnapped (don't get any ideas anyone) at the beginning of the week.
It would force the hand of the senior players to show the leadership that some are complaining about, sort out the calls and play with a bit more freedom - are they over coached? Is that why the newer players look so different?

When my son was about 12 or 13 they had 5 coaches. One day we turned up to play a team we had never beaten. None of the coaches turned up for pre-game training so the boys did it themselves, needless to say they won.

Posted by: Bath Supporter Jack (IP Logged)
Date: 03 December, 2018 17:39

Do you recall in the 2007 World Cup where the English players took over and told the coaches including Brian Ashton this is what we are going to do.....

Lost in the final to a Matfield inspired SA by 15 - 6.

Up to the point where the players took over it looked like they were going to struggle to get out of the Group!

Surely, Francois, Garvey, Attwood, Thomas, Dunn, Chudleigh, Joseph, Watson and Burns can sort it out?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net