Current Page: 1 of 5
Rhys Priestland
Posted by: johnnyf (IP Logged)
Date: 08 January, 2019 16:34

....is leaving at the end of the season.
Confirmed on the Offy.

Re: Rhys Priestland
Posted by: SJS (IP Logged)
Date: 08 January, 2019 16:35

Well. Interesting.

At the very least it confirms that we're getting someone else in!

Posted by: BathMatt53 (IP Logged)
Date: 08 January, 2019 16:39

Never really showed us his best I thought, but wish him all the best. Hopefully he can go out on a high.

[Adoptee 18/19: Man Mountain Dave Attwood, back in the BB&W and ready to smash]

Posted by: SJS (IP Logged)
Date: 08 January, 2019 16:43

He did have that purple patch last season which prompted his recall to the Welsh side - IIRC he was playing quite flat and attacking the line, with quite a few line breaks and chips over, but I think he was done by injuries unfortunately.

A great player, but as you say didn't consistently show his best enough. Looking forward to him showing us what he can do for the rest of the season!

Posted by: hasta (IP Logged)
Date: 08 January, 2019 16:49

Handre Pollard?

Posted by: BathBurger (IP Logged)
Date: 08 January, 2019 16:49

Thanks for your service Rhys. Hope you play well until you head off. Still remember him bossing the game against Scarlettís away. Top stuff, but hopefully an even better replacement heading our way!

Posted by: joethefanatic (IP Logged)
Date: 08 January, 2019 16:50

So, who do we want post-RWC? Fred is our maverick, so it'll need to be a steady Eddie and presumablya top one who is looking for a payday after retiring from internationals.

How about Johnny Sexton? smiling smiley

... IMHO, of course.

Now in Honolulu

Posted by: ballsout (IP Logged)
Date: 08 January, 2019 17:01

Much rather keep Priestland than Burns. But I suppose Burns has another year on his contract, Rhys doesnít.

Could have had Cipriani last year.

Posted by: shipwrecked (IP Logged)
Date: 08 January, 2019 17:14

Good summary SJS, at 32 he might struggle a bit for pace now. The modern game needs a 10 who can play flat. Question is, is anyone pencilled in? Not sure Symmonds at Exeter has he renewed his contract recently? Playing for Exeter he would be a low mileage 10!

Darren Atkins Age 21 years, Fullback, 6 ft 1 in, 13 st 4 lbs. Chance to shine in 18/19 with AW's injury!

https://i.ibb.co/sbQsmcr/darren-atkins-5.jpg

Posted by: johnnyf (IP Logged)
Date: 08 January, 2019 17:29

I think it does confirm that business has been completed with a top line replacement for Rhys.
Pollard has a lot about him - quite a scalp if it comes to fruition.

Posted by: dr.bath1865 (IP Logged)
Date: 08 January, 2019 17:41

I like Rhys but he's never hit the heights with us, be that his or the club's fault.

Sounds like we might have a replacement lined up. Of all the top-class 10s available after the next WC, Pollard's the one I'd like most. Sexton and Farrell are no-gos. For me, Barrett would be short-sighted and cost the earth, which, even if he's marquee, doesn't seem like good business. Pollard is better than any of the Aussies, including Foley.

Pollard is young, his best years are ahead of him and he's growing into a quality Test level 10. He'd suit our game and give us out and out first choice and a real general on the field that we've been missing. Sure, he'd be away with SA but the calibre of 10 we want will be an international and the SA calendar doesn't interfere from November onwards.

If Cipriani doesn't fancy smarter training facilities, then I'd be delighted with Pollard.

Posted by: Bath Supporter Jack (IP Logged)
Date: 08 January, 2019 17:49

Never really got the hang of Priestland and not surprised we are not renewing.

His departure must free up a sizeable chunk of Salary Cap.

If the rumour about Pollard is correct then he will come as a Marquee player I guess to join Falatau........which I hope means we can arrange a sensible deal with Flow for another 2 years....?

Posted by: Tomato Soup (IP Logged)
Date: 08 January, 2019 17:53

Probably a good guy but the right decision for him to go.

A confidence player who is injury prone. Just 10-15 more to ship out and we will be making some real progress.

There has to be consequences of non performance for the players as well as coaches.

Bath not been good enough for many years now given their resources and support.

Posted by: dannyf2 (IP Logged)
Date: 08 January, 2019 18:01

Pollard please god pollard

Posted by: @Hydor18 (IP Logged)
Date: 08 January, 2019 18:04

Interestingly, Priestland is one player I can see go into coaching. From what I gather, he is very highly thought of off the pitch.

Posted by: Rokoholic (IP Logged)
Date: 08 January, 2019 18:31

Quote:
ballsout
Much rather keep Priestland than Burns. But I suppose Burns has another year on his contract, Rhys doesnít.
Could have had Cipriani last year.

On what basis would you rather have kept Priestland, out of interest?

For me, keeping the younger, cheaper, more creative local lad in Burns makes more sense.

Nonetheless, thanks Rhys for your efforts and letís pray for Pollard!

Posted by: annie blackthorn (IP Logged)
Date: 08 January, 2019 18:36

Good luck to him finding a new club soon - are any of the welsh sides on the lookout?

My memories of him at the Rec are tinged with genuine sadness as I believe he had a very raw rough time when Mike Ford was 'in charge' - tactful man management, let alone 'emotional intelligence' skills not being one of Mr Ford's outstanding attributes!

Posted by: BathMatt53 (IP Logged)
Date: 08 January, 2019 19:00

Yes he is reportedly going to Scarlets.

[Adoptee 18/19: Man Mountain Dave Attwood, back in the BB&W and ready to smash]

Posted by: TCM2007 (IP Logged)
Date: 08 January, 2019 19:06

All the best to him, but we clearly need a shake up and thatís hard to achieve with the same guys ag10.

Stuart

Former ed.

Posted by: dcsh (IP Logged)
Date: 08 January, 2019 19:36

Quote:
Rokoholic
For me, keeping the younger, cheaper, more creative local lad in Burns makes more sense.
No dispute that Burns is younger, but wasnít it speculated that he got a hefty pay deal as part of the Ford swap, since he was under contract and didnít have to move.

Current Page: 1 of 5
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net