Current Page: 1 of 3
The match-day experience
Posted by: al Mossah (IP Logged)
Date: 11 January, 2019 16:08

Whinging old git alert...

Watching Bath at the Rec (and beyond) has always had its ups and downs. But there has always been something special about the live experience. ButÖ

Thereís no doubt that things have improved; the quality of beer and pies is good; Bath Ales gives a real local feel to the day. The addition of the top tier over the changing rooms gives a lovely view. I think stewarding is better than it was, and toilet queues are shorter.

So with all this improvement, itís a shame that the experience is ruined by 30 blokes running onto the pitch Ė sorry, I meant the noise from the PA. Back in the day we had a man with a lovely voice who announced teams, announced scorers (relishing his French pronunciation) and gently reminded us of the need not to smoke or stand in the gangways. And that was it. At half-time he'd read out birthday wishes, announce the mini-rugby teams and whatever else was happening. After a score there was the glorious sound of cheering, drumming of feet, clapping and nothing else. At half time we could stand and chat about life, the working week and home lives.

Now we have to contend with blaring music before the match, the screaming of the names of Bath players as the team is announced, more blaring music, and a half-time devoted to some mindless loud game with the crowd. Tries can no longer be discussed or analysed because some git has turned on the latest garage-grunge hip-hop. In many ways it is more pleasant watching at home; we donít have to suffer the assault on the ears, and can discuss with each other on what has just happened without the need to bellow in each othersí ears.

So may I make a plea (from an old git, obvs) that we turn the noise down, dispense with the post-try music and lose the half-time roaring. And let the crowd choose when to make a noise. Who knows, maybe the crowd will get louder, making the Rec even more special.

Just some thoughts. COYB.

Re: The match-day experience
Posted by: BathMatt53 (IP Logged)
Date: 11 January, 2019 16:37

I would advise you not to watch any sport in the US of A!

[Adoptee 18/19: Man Mountain Dave Attwood, back in the BB&W and ready to smash]

Posted by: OutsideBath (IP Logged)
Date: 11 January, 2019 16:51

Might be an idea not to go to any live sporting events from now on, the younger generation want to have fun so what you hate is going to continue. Personally the only thing that spoils the matchday experience is the performance of our team.

Tom Dunn - Adopted player 2018/19

Posted by: shipwrecked (IP Logged)
Date: 11 January, 2019 17:02

I'm not sure the objection is to the concept but more to the execution of that concept!

Darren Atkins Age 21 years, Fullback, 6 ft 1 in, 13 st 4 lbs. Sadly injured for the rest of the season!

https://i.ibb.co/sbQsmcr/darren-atkins-5.jpg

Posted by: Susanne (IP Logged)
Date: 11 January, 2019 17:29

Happy to join you being a whinging old git! I do miss Alistair.

Noise at the Leicester game reached intolerable levels when they were trying to get the stands to compete. We're in the back row of the East stand and I couldn't take part as I had my fingers in my ears as it was at a level that was painful - until it blew the speakers either side of us when it became bearable. Just hope they haven't fixed them ...

And surely that level of noise just gives fuel to the arguments of those against redevelopment - it's hardly being a good neighbour!

Posted by: DanWiley (IP Logged)
Date: 11 January, 2019 17:53

"I would advise you not to watch any sport in the US of A!"

Good advice.

Posted by: Beergoggles (IP Logged)
Date: 11 January, 2019 18:23

My pet peeves on match day are :

The pointless filtering of the entire east terrace and the end of the open stand through a single corner exit at the end of the game when the other terrace exit is complete empty.

The positioning of the big screen so that virtually nobody other than the ref can see what's going on. Appreciate there are planning regs but can't it just be hoisted up for the game and then put back again for the other 742 hours in the month.

The removal of the portable loos behind the terrace. Its now back to the bun fight to get into the club house basement, assuming of course you can get to the clubhouse with the players, physios, and assorted hanger owners coming to and from the pitch.

The completely empty 'collect by app' bar when all the other bars are rammed and there's no wifi or 4G data.

On the up side the sausage rolls are now Chorizo free and mighty fine with it.(Sm152)

Posted by: B4thB4ck (IP Logged)
Date: 11 January, 2019 18:49

I think the point of the original post is that when people are told to enjoy themselves, most people don't. It is like the best nights out in my opinion, the ones that take the most organisation often aren't as good as those spontaneous 'let's have a cheeky pint' nights.

It is the sport that counts and if it is a poor game, for whatever reason, then so be it, I accept it and no amount of loudspeaker effort will change the fun, just make it worse.

Posted by: B4thB4ck (IP Logged)
Date: 11 January, 2019 18:58

Quote:
Susanne
I do miss Alistair.

+1

Sort of a Dimbleby / Attenborough voice that made you want to listen. Yes, I am an old git too.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/01/2019 18:59 by B4thB4ck.

Posted by: sid the seagull (IP Logged)
Date: 11 January, 2019 21:26

Susanne + 1 from me.
In fact the nugget is in the last two sentences of Al Mís original post.
A pavolivian bark is just dross.

HOP

Date: 11 January, 2019 23:31

Welcome to 2019. It will continue and lots (most?) donít object so let just get on with watching the rugby?

Date: 11 January, 2019 23:40

Hmm, not objecting.
Well thereís a point of view . . .

P

Date: 11 January, 2019 23:43

THETIC

Posted by: Clarkey3k (IP Logged)
Date: 12 January, 2019 06:37

The man on the mic at Wuss last week made me smile when he stated with a hint of irony before the game kicked off that Wuss were unbeaten in 2019. The man at the rec gets right on my nerves...

Adopted players: 2018/19 Michael Van Vuuren; [18] T Faletau; [17] D Denton; [16] H. Agulla; [15] L Houston; [14] W Spencer; [13] F. Louw

Change a life with a loan [www.deki.org.uk]

Posted by: Awp24975 (IP Logged)
Date: 12 January, 2019 08:26

Unfortunately there are too many people that join in than donít which means it will continue.

I donít mind the stuff mid game as to be honest the Rev can be like a morgue at times and at least it does up the noise (albeit briefly).

I really donít like the half time stuff, see who makes the most noise etc, just annoying!

The things that do annoy is the tie in with Bath Ales..... Love my Thatchers Gold, but when fancy a change really donít like the taste of whatís on offer, but hey just means that I save my money.

Date: 12 January, 2019 08:43

I have to say that rather than the half time tomfoolery I do love it when the kids from local clubs play on the pitch at half time. Not only is the rugby frequently better then the main event but the look of excitement and enjoyment on their faces is fantastic (and their parents watching from the stands). But then Iím an old softie for that sort of thing.

Posted by: Awp24975 (IP Logged)
Date: 12 January, 2019 09:12

Quote:
BathMatt53
I have to say that rather than the half time tomfoolery I do love it when the kids from local clubs play on the pitch at half time. Not only is the rugby frequently better then the main event but the look of excitement and enjoyment on their faces is fantastic (and their parents watching from the stands). But then Iím an old softie for that sort of thing.

I love that side of it and have been the parent watching..... just not the ďwho can make the loudest noiseĒ game!

Posted by: TG Kesmo (IP Logged)
Date: 12 January, 2019 09:39

It the loudest stand thing is probably the way someone has come up with to get the atmosphere going. But at someone who from an early age has been indoctrinated by my Dad in the school of fair play, it really is annoying - the stands are so different in size and some have a roof males it so pointless as a contest. Guess what - the biggest stand won last time when they orchestrated it and when it was just during the build up and it wasnít announced the biggest one with a roof won. Well thereís a surprise.
Being entered into a competition you have no chance of winning is about as annoying as being consulted on an issue and then totally ignored.

Oh and rant number 2 closing the exits on the terracing creates a hazard rather than avoiding one. People can and do get trampled on in the rush to leave especially when Bath have lost! If they are not going to win all their games this needs to be addressed. Allow people to exit and then follow a one way system out of the ground in the direction that does not cross the exit from the pitch - Simples!

Posted by: Bath Hammer (IP Logged)
Date: 12 January, 2019 10:30

It can be like a morgue with no atmosphere at times & does need music & someone to get things going. It would be better if we created an atmosphere ourselves but we generally donít. I still think we could do with a song, not something utterly tedious like the Exeter war chant, but something that the crowd can get to know & join in when they wish, not to order. Maybe there should be a competition & try a few out.

Posted by: TG Kesmo (IP Logged)
Date: 12 January, 2019 11:09

Quote:
Bath Hammer
It can be like a morgue with no atmosphere at times & does need music & someone to get things going. It would be better if we created an atmosphere ourselves but we generally donít. I still think we could do with a song, not something utterly tedious like the Exeter war chant, but something that the crowd can get to know & join in when they wish, not to order. Maybe there should be a competition & try a few out.

Please no, itís doomed to failure these things have to happen empirically or not at all. Come on you Bath is about the only thing that goes at the moment. You just canít force it to happen.

Current Page: 1 of 3
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net