Current Page: 1 of 4
Ring fencing from next season?
Posted by: CoochieCoo (IP Logged)
Date: 12 May, 2019 11:23

DT reporting that RFU to consider this week to 13 team for two years. Premier clubs have to agree. Think DT is behind a paywall but will try and copy and paste the article.

http://zdgzqa.bay.livefilestore.com/y1p7Mwi7pLXeM89TY2KFdDQ-UUDGSv1FKNdhYdrW-koAuRN3tsqCPfE3onFxuO-3cZ0057Tom1uJai3vjkz3dvY_Q/1998%20Euro%20Champs.jpg http://zdgzqa.bay.livefilestore.com/y1pFul9UAV5zEXOzeRc1kmmlgDKXTYTIlTnGoQzYelH6KzdCeU-exN0IGo74QN2OGvlSoEiVjzAESvHx9BFlBsNFA/Bath%202008.jpg

Re: Ring fencing from next season?
Posted by: shipwrecked (IP Logged)
Date: 12 May, 2019 13:23

The extract:
"The Premiership may be expanded to 13 clubs from the end of next season in a move that would guarantee newly promoted London Irish at least two years in the top flight.

The proposal, from Premiership Rugby, would mean no club being relegated from the 12-team league to the Championship next season. Newcastle, the relegated side this season, are expected to make a swift return.

The plan will be considered by the Rugby Football Union management board this week. Also up for discussion will be a move to end automatic promotion and relegation from the 2021/22 season by replacing it with a two-legged play-off between the club who finish bottom and the winners of the Championship.

Source: RFU ring fencing proposal

https://i.ibb.co/sbQsmcr/darren-atkins-5.jpg

Darren Atkins Age 21 years, Fullback, 6 ft 1 in, 13 st 4 lbs. Sadly injured for the rest of the season!

Posted by: gaz59 (IP Logged)
Date: 12 May, 2019 14:39

Another two league games to slip into a very congested fixture list

Not saying I disagree with it, though personally I'm still on the side of competitive sport requires promotion/relegation, it is just the logistics and impact on players' bodies

Posted by: TomReagan (IP Logged)
Date: 12 May, 2019 14:56

Of course if there is no relegation there is less pressure to pick players who need resting. Anyway, I got engrossed for too long in this debate a few months back- I can see arguments on both sides, so won't be tempted to get involved in the heated and protracted debate that will no doubt ensue!

Posted by: OutsideBath (IP Logged)
Date: 12 May, 2019 15:01

Quote:
gaz59

Dump the pointless Premiership rugby cup and that creates the needed space.

Tom Dunn - Adopted player 2018/19

Posted by: warrenball (IP Logged)
Date: 12 May, 2019 16:35

As most people assumed and the obvious reason the management are happy to go with a cut price coaching team and poor signings for next year.

Date: 12 May, 2019 16:43

Quote:
warrenball
As most people assumed and the obvious reason the management are happy to go with a cut price coaching team and poor signings for next year.

Cant argue with the coaching team but signings make sense to me, whats wrong with them?

Darren Atkins Age 21 years, Fullback, 6 ft 1 in, 13 st 4 lbs. Sadly injured for the rest of the season!

Date: 12 May, 2019 16:49

Quote:
shipwrecked
Quote:
warrenball

Cant argue with the coaching team but signings make sense to me, whats wrong with them?

I would say more lack of quality 9/10 rather than problems with the new signings we've actually made.

Posted by: ballsout (IP Logged)
Date: 12 May, 2019 16:55

Quote:
OutsideBath
Quote:
gaz59

In what way is having a competition for squad players to get game time "pointless"?

I doubt Josh Bayliss, Will Vaughan, Miles Reid, Max Green and co find it "pointless". Not every game needs to be MUST WIN.

Date: 12 May, 2019 16:59

Quote:
ballsout
Quote:
OutsideBath
Quote:
gaz59

In what way is having a competition for squad players to get game time "pointless"?

I doubt Josh Bayliss, Will Vaughan, Miles Reid, Max Green and co find it "pointless". Not every game needs to be MUST WIN.

If you stopped and thought about things for a change, players like those you mentioned would actually get PL experience instead because the more experienced team members could be rested with no threat of relegation.

Posted by: DanWiley (IP Logged)
Date: 12 May, 2019 18:02

At least we're admitting that it means a less competitive league.

Date: 12 May, 2019 18:17

Quote:
DanWiley
At least we're admitting that it means a less competitive league.

As it stands it doesn't feel much like a competitive league, we only have 2 teams.

Whatever your opinion on the matter though, player health is far more important and anything that gives them more rest has to be done.

Date: 12 May, 2019 18:24

Quote:
OutsideBath
Quote:
shipwrecked
Quote:
warrenball

I would say more lack of quality 9/10 rather than problems with the new signings we've actually made.

I agree OB we do need 9 and probably a 10 if RP doesn't improve, plus I'm a bit concerbned about thes Freddie cramps. But I though Warrenball was referring to the signings we had made.

Date: 12 May, 2019 19:25

Quote:
shipwrecked
Quote:
OutsideBath
Quote:
shipwrecked
Quote:
warrenball

I agree OB we do need 9 and probably a 10 if RP doesn't improve, plus I'm a bit concerbned about thes Freddie cramps. But I though Warrenball was referring to the signings we had made.

Actually on reading again you could be right, personally can't see much wrong with our signings

Posted by: ballsout (IP Logged)
Date: 12 May, 2019 23:07

Quote:
OutsideBath
Quote:
ballsout
Quote:
OutsideBath
Quote:
gaz59

If you stopped and thought about things for a change, players like those you mentioned would actually get PL experience instead because the more experienced team members could be rested with no threat of relegation.

Don't move the goalposts, you've called it pointless regardless of ringfencing before now, and you suggested as much in the above post anyway. It's not a pointless cup, far from it.

And you're the last person on here who should be lecturing others about posting thoughtfully and intelligently.

Posted by: warrenball (IP Logged)
Date: 13 May, 2019 07:39

Just to be clear I was not criticising the signings personally, next year's signings are poor because we have not addressed the obvious fragility at both 9 and 10, especially with the worry about Freddie's compartment syndrome.

Posted by: Clarkey3k (IP Logged)
Date: 13 May, 2019 07:41

Could it be this season instead? Daily Mail article

Adopted players: 2018/19 Michael Van Vuuren; [18] T Faletau; [17] D Denton; [16] H. Agulla; [15] L Houston; [14] W Spencer; [13] F. Louw

Change a life with a loan [www.deki.org.uk]

Posted by: gaz59 (IP Logged)
Date: 13 May, 2019 07:49

A relegation play off would be totally pointless as the championship side just won't have the player quality to compete unless a seriously big backer comes in and us prepared to lose a hell of a lot

Might as well make it a closed club and hsve done with it

Posted by: DanWiley (IP Logged)
Date: 13 May, 2019 08:00

How about letting the team top of the championship play against all the teams in the prem, home and away, and comparing that to how they do against each other?

If they are playing too many games, reduce the number of games, don't make the games themselves less interesting and less important.

Be honest, the only reason this is happening is to make money.

Posted by: The Bear (IP Logged)
Date: 13 May, 2019 08:21

Quote:
DanWiley
...don't make the games themselves less interesting and less important.
Be honest, the only reason this is happening is to make money.

Games at the bottom are already not interesting and their importance doesn't help that.

Teams like London Welsh offered even less when they were admitted to the Prem. To keep alive the hope of another Exe the Prem indulged teams like Welsh. They weren't more interesting seasons.

Still I think the missed the boat. Do it one season earlier and Yorkshire could have had representation. Instead that region is lost, it riches presumably spread to Newcastle and Sale.

Adopted Player:
[18] - Taulupe Faletau

Current Page: 1 of 4
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net