Current Page: 1 of 3
COML Farleigh Briefing
Posted by: P G Tips (IP Logged)
Date: 16 May, 2019 08:11

Last week Coochie Coo and I attended a briefing for Mods at Farleigh about the club’s plans for the future and the recently announced coaching structure.

Bath Rugby attendees were: Tarquin McDonald, Stuart Hooper, Andy Rock plus Shula Smith and Alex Ferguson from the Communications Team.

Bruce, Tarquin and the Communications Team read COML. Apparently Stuart does not ( this is more about use of his time than lack of interest) but the Communications Team brief him about main discussion themes.

Tarquin began by acknowledging that this season Bath Rugby has not lived up to it’s own aspirations. He says the club has world- class and high potential players and described the performance as “less than the sum of parts.” The approach for next season will change with the aim to produce results that are “greater than sum of parts”.

He then told us:

· Stuart Hooper was chosen as DOR as a result of extensive discussions with highly respected rugby coaches as well as leadership and management experts.

· The way ahead is to create a unified high performance system, integrating the activities of the rugby department, academy, strength and conditioning and support staffs.

· The coaching set up is more about the complimentary mix of skills and personal characteristics than job titles.

· Before settling on the group of coaches the club consulted a number of top level coaches on the best mix of roles.

· The club is not averse to a “Head Coach” and may or may not appoint one in time – if they decide there is a need. Any coach, like those already announced, has to buy in to the vision and be comfortable as a member of the team.

· The players were fond of Todd and sorry to see him go, but have bought into the vision and are looking forward to the new set up.

Stuart Hooper told us:

· Of his passion for Bath rugby (he used to follow Bath results before he was a professional player) and desire to generate a lasting high performing culture.

· Bath want to play a high movement, high tempo game resulting in lots of tries – but based on momentum.

· To do that requires beefing up the pack, hence the choice of the 5 forwards joining next season.

* Outside assistance to the coaching team will be sought for specific needs when identified.

Andy Rock spoke about his plans for development of the squad and performance, based on experience and learnings from Leeds academy and recent academy and youth successes at Bath.

I told Tarquin, Stuart and Andy that there is a high level of scepticism among COML members about the coaching structure, based on Stuart’s lack of coaching experience and the absence of a Head Coach.

Stuart replied that he would not use words to win doubters over but intended play and results to do that.

Tarquin stated that it would be unrealistic to expect Bath to win every game but that with the new approach the club are expecting to improve performance, results and supporter enjoyment considerably.

It was a thorough and open briefing with the trio happy to answer questions Coochie and I had. Among these, Tarquin answered that rugby expenditure (including salaries) is totally separate from the stadium development expenditure- the club spends up to the cap and there is no saving on player salaries to contribute to stadium finances.

Obviously the proof of the pudding will be in results – next season and in further seasons. However, the overall tone was one of a planned strategic change and determination to succeed.

One thing was evident that most supporters may not have seen – Stuart Hooper is passionate about driving improvements – and about regenerating that passion from the fans.

Let’s see how next season goes!

PG

Re: COML Farleigh Briefing
Posted by: johnnyf (IP Logged)
Date: 16 May, 2019 08:27

Thanks PGT and CC - indeed let's see how things go.

The interesting comment to me is that the Club is not averse to considering the appointment of a Head Coach if felt necessary.
I wonder what the indicators for that consideration would be and how that post could be integrated into the set up.

Posted by: CoochieCoo (IP Logged)
Date: 16 May, 2019 08:36

Thanks for that PG. It was my first trip to Farleigh and it was very impressive. Not one spa robe or Gucci slipper to be seen but the gym was incredible with the amount of equipment and weights, there was no room for any slackness in there. The main rugby pitch was designed to replicate the Rec and another half artificial pitch for practice on such surfaces.

There is no doubt that having the whole training and admin functions under one roof with all the equipment that is required is a great step forward from the old days of Lambridge, University and Rec.

http://zdgzqa.bay.livefilestore.com/y1p7Mwi7pLXeM89TY2KFdDQ-UUDGSv1FKNdhYdrW-koAuRN3tsqCPfE3onFxuO-3cZ0057Tom1uJai3vjkz3dvY_Q/1998%20Euro%20Champs.jpg http://zdgzqa.bay.livefilestore.com/y1pFul9UAV5zEXOzeRc1kmmlgDKXTYTIlTnGoQzYelH6KzdCeU-exN0IGo74QN2OGvlSoEiVjzAESvHx9BFlBsNFA/Bath%202008.jpg

Posted by: Long Term (IP Logged)
Date: 16 May, 2019 08:37

Thank you PG for reporting that back I for one will wait to see what unfolds but I'm sure there will be many with the 'rugby manager game' attitude who will respond by saying it's just words, what we need is a world class fly-half, coach, physical approach etc without providing any suggestions or understanding of the reality of the incredibly competitive Premiership league.

Posted by: B4thB4ck (IP Logged)
Date: 16 May, 2019 08:47

Thanks for the report. I am surprised that Bruce and Tarquin read COML, so also pleased that I have been supportive of them and Hoops in my comments! I have only criticised the HC situation which sounds open to change so that is good.

I will always try to post comments as if I was face to face with those involved.

I don't know anyone at the club but I do sometimes cross paths with the manager of an EFL football club. His views on what supporters think they know and the pressure his family feel during a difficult season are very interesting and also affect the way I comment about Bath.

Posted by: warrenball (IP Logged)
Date: 16 May, 2019 08:58

I guess much as you would expect, I do not know any incoming player, coach or DOR who is not 'passionate about driving improvements – and about regenerating that passion from the fans' but wanting something is not the same as being able to deliver it.

I feel we are back to the time Jack Rowell rejoined and almost the first thing he said was that we were restructuring and it would take time and we seem to have been restructuring almost ever since.

I am pleased to see the intent ' Bath want to play a high movement, high tempo game resulting in lots of tries – but based on momentum. That, if true, is the most interesting part.

The proof of the pudding is in the style of play, especially when results go against us, will Hooper still have the confidence to play this high movement game if we lose the first three matches or will they revert to type and keep it in the forwards? It will take a brave DOR, especially one so green, to continue to play adventurous rugby in those circumstances but I for one would support him in that.

New coaches at Gloucester, Quins and Northampton have shown the fallacy of the 'it takes time' excuse, if the coaching and squad make up is right it can happen very quickly.

Posted by: Bathovalballer (IP Logged)
Date: 16 May, 2019 09:09

You are right Warren all about the length of time taken by new coaches at those clubs having a huge impact on their side's performances. But the clue in their success is that the people concerned are all qualified coaches and have enjoyed/know how to achieve success elsewhere. We do not have that luxury in Mr H!

Time will tell about whether or not Bath's action will work but could be very costly if it does not, especially with regards to filling a new desperately needed stadium.

Adopted player 2018/19 Semesa Rokoduguni

The Rock that is Semesa and how he will be rocking this season.

Posted by: Ali1969 (IP Logged)
Date: 16 May, 2019 09:14

Good to see that they had the bottle to front up. Credit where credit is deserved. We will have to see if there plans come to fruition. Don't suppose they quoted who the "respected rugby coaches" were??

I truly hope it all comes off and for Stuart personally, it is a huge gamble to take especially if ring fencing does not get approved.

Fingers crossed.

Posted by: BathMatt53 (IP Logged)
Date: 16 May, 2019 09:17

...it's just words, what we need is a world class fly-half, coach, physical approach etc however I have no suggestions or understanding of the reality of the incredibly competitive Premiership league (Sm100)...

...but seriously the only way to see whether it works is to see whether it works, so I personally will draw a line under comments about the decision / whether or not there should be another 10 etc, back the team, clench my buttocks and hold on for the ride next season (same as for most of the last 35 years tbh).

Many thanks for the summary PGT. thumbs down

[Adoptee 18/19: Man Mountain Dave Attwood, back in the BB&W and ready to smash]

Posted by: P G Tips (IP Logged)
Date: 16 May, 2019 09:19

Quote:
Ali1969
Good to see that they had the bottle to front up. Credit where credit is deserved. We will have to see if there plans come to fruition. Don't suppose they quoted who the "respected rugby coaches" were??

They did name a few, but I am not sure Ali if I should repeat the names. I will say we are talking about a range of highly respected coaches of more than one nationality!

PG

Posted by: cb2 (IP Logged)
Date: 16 May, 2019 09:19

The Prem is only competitive in so far as most of the sides have not got their act together. Exeter are showing that with decent recruitment and a solid structure, you can step above the crowd. A lot of the rugby on show this year has been pretty poor. The basic skills in the league are a concern. We won't win anything next year but 3rd or 4th should be possible.

Date: 16 May, 2019 09:24

Thanks PG let us hope for all it pays off.

Posted by: Bath Hammer (IP Logged)
Date: 16 May, 2019 09:55

Thanks for that PG & CC. I have always been totally convinced that all parties within the management structure, especially Bruce, want all the things we want & perhaps more so in most cases. It is just the approach & player recruitment which has caused controversy & doubt, particularly the coaching structure. However, this approach has clearly been thought through & only time will tell. It’s interesting that SH has gained such a good reputation as you wonder how it was gained but we just have to hope that everything works as intended.

Posted by: shipwrecked (IP Logged)
Date: 16 May, 2019 09:59

Thanks both, quite a lot to digest in that, I thought this was interesting, "Outside assistance to the coaching team will be sought for specific needs when identified."

Seems to be a bit based on the Eddie Jones model, we simply have to wait and see how it goes, I have to say its pleasing to hear that the club read some of these comments.

Often teams forge a unity out of adversity so lets hope that key players like Mercer can bring along the new signings, for my money Mercer would be my skipper, he epitomises much of Bath's ethos, if we are going to do things a bit different why not extend that to the captaincy?

https://i.ibb.co/sbQsmcr/darren-atkins-5.jpg

Darren Atkins Age 21 years, Fullback, 6 ft 1 in, 13 st 4 lbs. Sadly injured for the rest of the season!

Posted by: ballsout (IP Logged)
Date: 16 May, 2019 10:00

Quote:
Ali1969
I truly hope it all comes off and for Stuart personally, it is a huge gamble to take especially if ring fencing does not get approved.

Fingers crossed.

Not sure how much bottle is needed to bring two supporters in. It’s less about bottle and more about controlling the messaging/trying to keep fans on their side. It’s just words at the end of the day, Tarquin is great at him. Proof is in the pudding. I’m sure Newcastle have similar sort of chat, most clubs do.

Date: 16 May, 2019 10:22

Ball Out - It may be as you say - but they invited both PG and CC in knowing they would post to the rest of us....

They could have just not bothered - and the world would still turn and we would all still post..At least this way we have some idea of their thinking - It does not mean we all agree and the "World is all Rosey" because it is not I personally DO NOT AGREE with the coaching structure or recruitment, but I am old enough and battered enough to hopefully be proved wrong.

I will take absolutely no pleasure or happiness to be proved right - Hobson's Choice I suppose.

Posted by: annie blackthorn (IP Logged)
Date: 16 May, 2019 10:48

Thanks for letting us know that you were impressed with the facilities.
The rest of your report is all about being carefully managed by the club - or were you not aware of that?

Fine words, but rather like our politicians, JUST GET ON WITH IT!
Saints have achieved it in a season with no fanfare, no fine words, no explanations, just ACTIONS!

Do hope Stuart has been privately given next season to prove himself with drastic improvements in sustained results on the pitch.

Posted by: cb2 (IP Logged)
Date: 16 May, 2019 10:55

Is there anyone on here who thinks we will not bring in or promote a head coach in the next 3 seasons?

Posted by: CoochieCoo (IP Logged)
Date: 16 May, 2019 11:04

Quote:
cb2
Is there anyone on here who thinks we will not bring in or promote a head coach in the next 3 seasons?

Nothing is for ever, cb2, especially in the evolving professionalism of rugby union.

http://zdgzqa.bay.livefilestore.com/y1p7Mwi7pLXeM89TY2KFdDQ-UUDGSv1FKNdhYdrW-koAuRN3tsqCPfE3onFxuO-3cZ0057Tom1uJai3vjkz3dvY_Q/1998%20Euro%20Champs.jpg http://zdgzqa.bay.livefilestore.com/y1pFul9UAV5zEXOzeRc1kmmlgDKXTYTIlTnGoQzYelH6KzdCeU-exN0IGo74QN2OGvlSoEiVjzAESvHx9BFlBsNFA/Bath%202008.jpg

Posted by: BathMatt53 (IP Logged)
Date: 16 May, 2019 11:20

Quote:
ballsout
Not sure how much bottle is needed to bring two supporters in. It’s less about bottle and more about controlling the messaging/trying to keep fans on their side. It’s just words at the end of the day,

I don't think that the can win - when they don't communicate effectively they get accused of not communicating - when they do 'its just words'. Maybe they should present a picture of their future plans through the medium of dance?

[Adoptee 18/19: Man Mountain Dave Attwood, back in the BB&W and ready to smash]

Current Page: 1 of 3
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net