BT Champions League Deal
Posted by: Ade1865 (IP Logged)
Date: 09 November, 2013 12:23

Proof, if any were needed, that the govt is paying over the odds for the [slow] rollout of rural superfast broadband.

How can a company that is not a national asset retain such a monopoly on telecoms in this country?

Re: BT Champions League Deal
Posted by: TCM2007 (IP Logged)
Date: 09 November, 2013 22:24

It doesn't have a monopoly, which is why it's doing this - to compete with Sky, Virgin etc.

Stuart

Former ed.

Posted by: Ade1865 (IP Logged)
Date: 10 November, 2013 08:40

it has a monopoly on phone lines, no?

and was the only realistic bidder to roll out superfast (ha!) broadband to us yokels. So no doubt when its in place, we'll have to pay them through the nose for it, no matter what provider we have, despite them already being paid a handsome sum to provide the service by the govt. Which has surely gone some way towards their profits this year and their ability to bid on footy.

Rather than spending more on their call centres so that u can actually talk to someon on the phone, cos I mean, they're a phone company right?

And while they're at it they might like to upgrade their BB service. ISPs provide a worse service than the banks, and BT are regularly at the bottom of the list on customer satisfaction, which is quite something when yer trailing behind TalkTalk lol.

Rant over. That is what this O/T section is for right? smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/11/2013 08:46 by Ade1865.

Date: 10 November, 2013 13:13

Quote:
Ade1865
it has a monopoly on phone lines, no?

No.

Stuart

Former ed.

Posted by: Beer Belly (IP Logged)
Date: 11 November, 2013 14:28

Quote:
TCM2007
No.

No?

(Sm63)

Posted by: DanWiley (IP Logged)
Date: 11 November, 2013 17:14

What I found interesting is that Sky and ITV think they've over bid and BT said 'you would say that.' Any thoughts? 300 million doesn't seem too bad. Probably a bit high in terms of s per subscriber per game (which probably isn't a valid model), but in terms of the erosion of Sky's dominance, BT could consider it cheap.

Date: 11 November, 2013 18:57

Quote:
Beer Belly
Quote:
TCM2007
No.

No?

(Sm63)

No.

Sky, Virgin, TalkTalk etc will all happily provide you with a landline.

BT do have a monopoly of broadband supply to some exchanges where no competitor has decided to take up the local loop unbundling option, but even then a variety of suppliers will retail it to you.

Stuart

Former ed.

Date: 11 November, 2013 18:59

Quote:
DanWiley
What I found interesting is that Sky and ITV think they've over bid and BT said 'you would say that.' Any thoughts? 300 million doesn't seem too bad. Probably a bit high in terms of s per subscriber per game (which probably isn't a valid model), but in terms of the erosion of Sky's dominance, BT could consider it cheap.

Sky share price down 11%, BT share price up a fraction.

Stuart

Former ed.

Posted by: B4thB4ck (IP Logged)
Date: 12 November, 2013 18:51

Quote:
TCM2007
Quote:
Beer Belly
Quote:
TCM2007
No.

No?

(Sm63)

No.

Sky, Virgin, TalkTalk etc will all happily provide you with a landline.

BT do have a monopoly of broadband supply to some exchanges where no competitor has decided to take up the local loop unbundling option, but even then a variety of suppliers will retail it to you.

Stu, I think you will find that the copper cable from the exchange remains in BT's hands so even if you have a broadband deal with one of those companies who have unbundled you still rely on BT's service ethic to handle the last mile or 2 of delivery. Only the cable franchises like VM offer an alternative cable to your house and where I live there is no franchise so I'm stuck with BT's cable.

Date: 12 November, 2013 21:43

It's technically their physical cable, but you don't have to pay them, you pay your line rental to Sky or whoever.

Stuart

Former ed.

Date: 13 November, 2013 17:40

Paying the rental to a 3rd party doesn't mean it's not a monopoly.

Outside the cable TV areas it's one cable, one company.

Fibre upgrades help the speed but it's still the same copper cable into the house from the street cabinet.

Date: 13 November, 2013 19:05

I have a choice of providers at different rates, that they use the same copper doesn't make it a monopoly.

I don't have any choice over who physically owns the gas pipes or electricity cables either; they are not monopolies.

You're taking a very narrow definition of the word, not one which reflects the practical reality.

Stuart

Former ed.

Date: 13 November, 2013 19:49

I admit it is a narrow definition, but let's look at it this way, if your copper cable breaks Openreach are responsible regardless of who is paying the bill.

That means we are at the mercy of their service levels as they have no direct competitor outside cable TV franchise areas.

If they have no competitor, they could provide poor service to all their customers whether wholesale or not and get away with it, so in my eyes that is a monopoly.

The unbundling of exchanges only picks off the data link from the BT internet portal and moves it onto the 3rd party fibre link to their portal, the copper stays the same even with fibre broadband.

I can't comment on their actual service levels as my phone line has never failed, just pointing out the reality.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net