Terry Biddlecombe RIP
Posted by: annie blackthorn (IP Logged)
Date: 14 January, 2014 10:22

I've only just caught up with the news that this outstanding jump jockey and character from my west country youth has died.

He was a first class scallywag, esp for the girls, but we forgive a west countryman, even if he did come from near Gloucester. In some ways sadly, modern sport doesn't allow for'characters' like him anymore. Sure he could have been a first class rugby player with his build and competitive drive.

We used to see him socially having mutual friends, and I doubt I ever saw him stone cold sober but he was great fun and totally loved but unaffected by his fame - long before today's rather hollow celebrities. Was particularly pleased for him (and his wife HK) in later life, having been through the mill a bit, with their success with Best Mate.

Re: Terry Biddlecombe RIP
Posted by: 3Quarter (IP Logged)
Date: 14 March, 2014 13:29

Not sure if it is a sign of getting older but so many things nowadays are far less colourful than the late sixties and seventies. Biddlecombe was a hero of mine, he seemed such a force of nature, a bit like Botham or James Hunt. The thought of modern jockeys sitting around drinking champagne before going out to ride in a big race would be unthinkable now.

No doubt the rule makers would point to the increased safety but it comes at a cost and in so many diverse areas from party political conferences to pop music to almost all sports a lot of the fun and unpredictability has gone to be replaced by very efficient, but rather grey professionalism

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net