Great try on twitter
Posted by: WorcesterSauce (IP Logged)
Date: 19 April, 2017 21:52

[twitter.com]

Bl00dy hell i'm glad someone has dug this out.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 19/04/2017 21:52 by WorcesterSauce.

Re: Great try on twitter
Posted by: TVM Rides Again....Again (IP Logged)
Date: 19 April, 2017 22:17

Smashing fend from Drew Hickey

dynamic movement and running from Tony!

Posted by: TeflonTed (IP Logged)
Date: 19 April, 2017 22:23

Great memory. Not that I'm claiming to have been there, but I might well have been.

Posted by: Patgadd (IP Logged)
Date: 19 April, 2017 22:29

Quote:
WorcesterSauce
https://twitter.com/worcsfaithful/status/854784166189248512
Bl00dy hell i'm glad someone has dug this out.

Interesting; I had always assumed that the chap who posted this on Twitter was none other than yourself.

Date: 19 April, 2017 22:36

Not me Patgadd... I've seen JOT tweet them calling them John, which is the same name as someone who posts on here under a similar name, unless I'm mistaken...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 19/04/2017 22:36 by WorcesterSauce.

Posted by: Malvern Man (IP Logged)
Date: 19 April, 2017 23:00

That's the try we scored well into the second half against Northampton at Sixways in May 2005. It was very close at the bottom that year, and although we could have been relegated if we lost, and so could Northampton, Sale beat Harlequins and Harlequins went down. It was very, very hot, 83 degrees Fahrenheit. Sean Drahm was playing for Northampton but had signed for us, and very sportingly Northampton pulled him off before the end in case he had to take a critical kick.

At the end the crowd chanted "Cecil, Cecil" and the great man ran into the middle to tumultuous applause.

That first season was terrific, and it's sad we've never kicked on. We finished 9th, and the next season 8th, but that was the best ever. Roll on next season.

Date: 19 April, 2017 23:11

You're quite right MM, however in those days (without social media and smart phones) nobody really knew the quins score until the final whistle, so when we went over for this try in the 73rd-ish minute, for all we knew it was the try that was keeping us up.

If memory serves me correctly, Quins missed a 78th minute penalty which wouldve kept them up. As it turns out Northampton stayed up instead and both sets of fans and players were celebrating at the final whistle.

I'm convinced that we could've sold 25,000+ tickets that day

Posted by: Brummagem Bertie (IP Logged)
Date: 19 April, 2017 23:54

My partner and I were say in the front row of the South Stand and Drew went over right in front of us.

I remember seeing the play unfolding and thinking, "What the hell is Windo doing, he's going to get seriously twatted!" before Drew came charging through from quite far back on a line that took the Saints players completely by surprise.

As I recall there were about four teams who could have been relegated that day, including Saints. When the whistle blew at our game some of the Saints fans were crying, thinking that they had been relegated, because the last score from the Stoop that someone had got over the radio had Quins in front. Then the news came that Quins had lost, so were relegated, and all the Saints tears turned to smiles and Saints and Wuss supporters were hugging and slapping each other on the back, both teams having survived.

A glorious day.

Whatever you do, do it safely!

Posted by: Garym (IP Logged)
Date: 20 April, 2017 06:13

Don't forget that year, we went onto play Sarries in a playoff for a Heineken Cup place. Unfortunately it was a game too far, it was I think the closest we got to playing in the big boys cup.

Posted by: Faithful_City (IP Logged)
Date: 20 April, 2017 08:30

The ORRELL match report 2003

The Report

JP

http://www.sixwaysrugby.co.uk/Images/fortress.jpg

"nunquam desistite, nunquam enim succumbet, nunquam vincar"

Click the Link below to:

Come on You Warriors - ACORNS - Just Giving

Posted by: TVM Rides Again....Again (IP Logged)
Date: 20 April, 2017 08:36

Quote:
Garym
Don't forget that year, we went onto play Sarries in a playoff for a Heineken Cup place. Unfortunately it was a game too far, it was I think the closest we got to playing in the big boys cup.

There is an argument to say that 6th was on the cards the following year, but for a miracle comeback for Sale in the last game and a blatent pull back on Johnny Hylton that would have given us a bonus point win at the rec....

Posted by: Garym (IP Logged)
Date: 20 April, 2017 08:54

Quote:
TVM Rides Again....Again

There is an argument to say that 6th was on the cards the following year, but for a miracle comeback for Sale in the last game and a blatent pull back on Johnny Hylton that would have given us a bonus point win at the rec....

We were sitting directly opposite the pull back and it was so blatant that even the Bath fans around us, thought it was as well.

Date: 20 April, 2017 09:12

Thanks all for the reminders, now I know, as Max Boyce would say, "I WAS THERE", for all the aforementioned.

The Hylton hold back I remember particularly well, was standing on the tiny corner terrace bit with its back to the river at the dressing room end, (close to the ancient gents under the stand....handy) and Bathers around us didn't know whether to be amused or embarrassed, all good natured stuff though obviously.

Date: 20 April, 2017 09:35

Bath like getting away with illegal hold backs in important games vs us, dont they? (mears vs drahm challenge cup final)

Date: 20 April, 2017 10:05

Quote:
WorcesterSauce
Bath like getting away with illegal hold backs in important games vs us, dont they? (mears vs drahm challenge cup final)

Yes recall it well. The ref came in for some stick as well for that, was it that awful Welsh bloke, Geraint ap Something or other?

That was the game, at CG, the second string cup final of some sort, memorable for me since one of our number missed the second half in the medical tent due to severe allergic reaction to tomato, and I'd put a serious dollop of ketchup on his burger.

Well I didn't know did I?

Posted by: Big Bird Warrior (IP Logged)
Date: 20 April, 2017 23:43

Christophe Berdos!!

"We do not have the number (of the player who pulled SD back)"

It's engrained in my memory!!

Posted by: usa warrior (IP Logged)
Date: 20 April, 2017 23:52

Yup! Another who was directly in front of that. Absolutely blatant. Berdos...

Date: 21 April, 2017 08:39

Thank you .

Yes, can't trust the frog munchers.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net