Current Page: 1 of 2
Injuries
Posted by: WorcesterSauce (IP Logged)
Date: 12 August, 2017 17:47

A lot of them including Mama out for the season (apparently.

Re: Injuries
Posted by: usa warrior (IP Logged)
Date: 12 August, 2017 18:03

Is ACL a season long injury?

Posted by: Patgadd (IP Logged)
Date: 12 August, 2017 18:10

Apparently David Denton's injury was in the ICL rather than ACL area, though it's not clear yet what the injury is. Scan Monday.

Posted by: MSR-Worcester (IP Logged)
Date: 12 August, 2017 18:12

I count Denton, Kerrod, Baldwin and Potgieter. Waller and Schonert also pulled out before the game.

Posted by: FlipFlop (IP Logged)
Date: 12 August, 2017 20:50

Not good news. Last years fitness team got some criticism for the injuries early doors. Seems many players have bulked up. Hopefully this situation won't get worse.

Posted by: TeflonTed (IP Logged)
Date: 12 August, 2017 21:32

Denton was the quickest injury ever, although the clock stopped at 48 sec, he was down well before that, and he knew he'd done something serious, he was thumping the ground in frustration.

As has been said, he told enquirers that it was a suspected ICL, but will be scanned on Monday.

Let's hope the initial diagnosis is over-cautious.

Posted by: usa warrior (IP Logged)
Date: 12 August, 2017 21:37

Yup, even beat Ezra Taylor - and that's going some!

Date: 14 August, 2017 10:11

So walking wounded:
David Denton - ICL, unknown
Simon Kerrod - Groin, unknown
Luke Baldwin - Arm, unknown
Dewald Potgieter - Knee, unknown
Ryan Mills - Hip/shoulder, 4/5 weeks
Niall Annett - Hamstring, 3 weeks
Marco Mama - ACL, potentially season

Injury clouds:
Nick Schonert?
Will Spencer?
Ethan Waller? - Small knock
Perry Humphreys?
Chris Pennell? - Calf, 2 weeks
Michael Dowsett?
Alafoti Fa’osiliva?
Max Stelling? - 8 weeks out
Carl Kirwan? - Unknown shoulder injury
Gareth Milasinovich? - 1 week out

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 17/08/2017 13:31 by MSR-Worcester.

Posted by: Powick Eastander (IP Logged)
Date: 14 August, 2017 10:48

It is a long list (Sm54)

http://v4admin.sportnetwork.net/upload/130/130_0_1418121803.jpg Warriors Rugby Supporters Club http://v4admin.sportnetwork.net/upload/130/130_0_1418121803.jpg

Posted by: Faithful_City (IP Logged)
Date: 14 August, 2017 10:52

Start of the season, one warmup game down and already we are missing all these injured players, unbelievable!!!

JP

Posted by: Powick Eastander (IP Logged)
Date: 14 August, 2017 11:20

Can't wrap them in cotton wool, mores the pity

http://v4admin.sportnetwork.net/upload/130/130_0_1418121803.jpg Warriors Rugby Supporters Club http://v4admin.sportnetwork.net/upload/130/130_0_1418121803.jpg

Posted by: Southstand(again) (IP Logged)
Date: 14 August, 2017 12:00

One of the problems I see with players "Bulking up" is a potential for increased lower limb injuries.

If you look at videos, Denton, in particular, has a far different profile to the player who was outstanding for Scotland. I think players sometimes need protecting from themselves.

Big isn't always "Better" particularly on our surface.

Posted by: FlipFlop (IP Logged)
Date: 14 August, 2017 13:00

I'm no Sports Scientist, but surely bulking up quickly via weights and permitted supplements puts too much strain on the tendons, muscles and bones that need to carry this stuff at increasingly high tempo, into more frequent and higher impact collisions.

Not doubting we perhaps needed to do this as we weren't the weightiest of sides, but to try and do it in one close season, may be a factor in the latest injury news.

Date: 14 August, 2017 13:35

Quote:
Carl Hogg
“Some people were taken off as a precaution but others might be a bit more serious,”

“But we have got to assess them.

In pre-season games you tend to take one or two more bumps than you would normally do as your body naturally toughens up to the contact and collisions in the game.

“They are reasonably sore at the moment but until we get them assessed properly we don’t know what we are dealing with.”

“There are concerns having had people come off.

“But some of them were precautionary as you don’t need to risk players staying out there too long in a pre-season game.

“We will get them in and assess them later and see where they sit.

“We had an opportunity with 34 players to chop and change but I think first and foremost it was about getting out there and seeing how physical we were as a group from one to 15 across both sides which will stand us in good stead.”

I think this may clarify a few things, seems as if Hogg does not think the injuries are as serious as they may have appeared.

Posted by: A38 (IP Logged)
Date: 14 August, 2017 13:58

Some (limited) information here:-
[www.worcesternews.co.uk]

But more (information?) to follow the article says.

Posted by: w4rriorz1980 (IP Logged)
Date: 14 August, 2017 16:09

Quote:
MSR-Worcester
Quote:
Carl Hogg
“Some people were taken off as a precaution but others might be a bit more serious,”

“But we have got to assess them.

In pre-season games you tend to take one or two more bumps than you would normally do as your body naturally toughens up to the contact and collisions in the game.

“They are reasonably sore at the moment but until we get them assessed properly we don’t know what we are dealing with.”

“There are concerns having had people come off.

“But some of them were precautionary as you don’t need to risk players staying out there too long in a pre-season game.

“We will get them in and assess them later and see where they sit.

“We had an opportunity with 34 players to chop and change but I think first and foremost it was about getting out there and seeing how physical we were as a group from one to 15 across both sides which will stand us in good stead.”

I think this may clarify a few things, seems as if Hogg does not think the injuries are as serious as they may have appeared.
Apart from Denton maybe.Think it's serious.

Posted by: woodywuss (IP Logged)
Date: 14 August, 2017 21:15

Sitting on the west side on Saturday it was interesting to see the studs being used in some of the boots the players were wearing. Over the years playing both football ang rugby on grass,Astro and indoor I have amassed quite a collection of different footwear. Looking at the length of stud and possibly 5 in the forefoot,is it possible that these are contributing to rotational injuries? Are they becoming less free to move in the fibres of an artificial surface? I understand that forwards need as much traction as possible whilst the backs a lesser length stud but still need grip. AstroTurf boots and blades seem to have been tried with little success.
Recently,Rugby World,ran an ad. from a well known boot company showing a style of boot that finishes well above the ankle. Fad or well researched? Nike produce a boot with a sleeve surrounding the ankle.
I think boot research is genuine,but there is still some way to go in understanding how the forces of an artificial pitch affect sportsmen,especially with pitches being far removed from earlier versions and still being developed and improved.
I also feel lower body bulking up has a fine margin between use and hindrance.I posted on another thread that the injuries that Manu Tuilagi has sustained may be down to his lower body physique.
Injuries happen. Arsenal and Newcastle United seem to have understood and lowered their injury stats. Rugby is way more complex and I only hope fate deals us a better hand than last season.

Posted by: Underdog (IP Logged)
Date: 14 August, 2017 21:27

Two things:

Firstly, we need to remember that the injury crisis of last season uncovered a few gems in the academy lads. This could offer a similar chance to the likes of Huw Taylor or Tom Dodd. It's a gamble, yes, but they've got to go in the deep end at some point.

Secondly, I don't think we can underestimate how much the injury crisis was exacerbated by the Dean Ryan shenanigans. This time round, the whole squad has been overlooked by Gold and Omar for a whole preseason. We have to expect that Omar has created a defensive system that the whole squad can slot into, and Gold has communicated his overall strategies to everyone. We're paying those two big bucks and this is when they earn it. I've got faith they'll do so.

Date: 15 August, 2017 12:08

Quote:
MSR-Worcester
So walking wounded:
David Denton - ICL, unknown
Simon Kerrod - Groin, unknown
Luke Baldwin - Arm, unknown
Dewald Potgieter - Knee, unknown
Ryan Mills - Hip/shoulder, 4/5 weeks
Niall Annett - Hamstring, 3 weeks
Marco Mama - ACL, potentially season

Injury clouds:
Nick Schonert?
Will Spencer?
Ethan Waller? - Small knock
Perry Humphreys?
Chris Pennell? - Calf, 2 weeks
Michael Dowsett?
Alafoti Fa’osiliva?
Max Stelling? - 8 weeks out
Carl Kirwan? - Unknown shoulder injury
Gareth Milasinovich? - 1 week out

Updated from news sources

Posted by: West Brom Warrior (IP Logged)
Date: 15 August, 2017 12:26

If Mama has done his ACL then it is 20 weeks before he starts functional training again in reality. If Denton has an LCL then it is anything up to 10 weeks before functional training can start.

Not good to have our ball carrying back rowers out for a decent period of time

Current Page: 1 of 2
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net