Posted by: usa warrior (IP Logged)
Date: 12 August, 2017 18:40

Aside from the injury curse...

For me.

Shillcock and Olver were excellent.

Lewis was at his combative best.

Taufete will play at Loosehead.

Heem still isn't a centre.

GJ needs a few more games to get up to speed.

Stringer looked class.

Possibly a little more organised defensively but still slipped off a few tackles.

Hartbury will be no mugs in the Champ! Hit hard and looked well coached.

Re: So what did we learn?
Posted by: Abberley (IP Logged)
Date: 12 August, 2017 18:50

As a North Stand virgin I learned that, if sitting in the wrong row behind the posts, the crossbar obscures all action on the South try line sad smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/08/2017 18:51 by Abberley.

Posted by: Patgadd (IP Logged)
Date: 12 August, 2017 19:10

Quote:
Abberley
As a North Stand virgin I learned that, if sitting in the wrong row behind the posts, the crossbar obscures all action on the South try line sad smiley

... and I learned what you look like, Abberley, as you were pointed out to me. I understand you normally sit in the library West stand; I hope the noise didn't bother you!

Posted by: Turv32 (IP Logged)
Date: 12 August, 2017 19:25

Negatives were the few injuries we had...
Positive were Oliver and Stringer would not surprise me if he got an extension. But I for one was so impressed with Hammond. That lad can play.

Date: 12 August, 2017 19:33

Quote:
Patgadd
... and I learned what you look like, Abberley, as you were pointed out to me. I understand you normally sit in the library West stand; I hope the noise didn't bother you!

Noise always acceptable - as long as it is at appropriate times winking smiley

I did notice a distinct absence of 'bobbing' in the North Stand. Presumably, this is because the corners are visible - which is not the case from most of the West Stand seats.

Posted by: TeflonTed (IP Logged)
Date: 12 August, 2017 20:03

Strings is pure class. Missed one tackle just to prove he is human.

Heem is certainly not a centre.

Shillcock has bulked up a bit....good.

Tom Howe looked impressive.

I don't like watching from end on.

I too now know what a good looking chap Abberley is.

No signs of our local poltergeist though.

Posted by: Reggie's Ghost (IP Logged)
Date: 12 August, 2017 20:08

Quote:
TeflonTed

No signs of our local poltergeist though.

I was there sitting top left north stand unrecognised.

Posted by: FlipFlop (IP Logged)
Date: 12 August, 2017 20:45

Reggie,

Looks like Abberley has taken your crown as the person to spot or be seen with.

Date: 12 August, 2017 21:01

Quote:
FlipFlop
Reggie,

Bet it's not even his real name. 😨

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/08/2017 21:03 by Reggie's Ghost.

Date: 12 August, 2017 21:18

Second half we looked sharper. Stringer immediately injected pace. Howe will be good for us. Heem strong though played out of position. CSW jury still out. Hammond will challenge for the shirt. Cox could break into first 15 this year. Not often I stray into rugby-speak!

Date: 12 August, 2017 21:27

Several things about Strings......

He's usually ready for the ball at every breakdown.

He usually passes instantly, without taking a step.

He sends the ball away very quickly.

He picks the best receiver having scanned play almost instantly.

The receiver usually doesn't have to adjust to receive, the ball is where it's needed.

And he's not a bad sweeper either, although he didn't get across to the Hartpury try scorer in the second half in time to save a try...after all, he's only human, and how on earth did we come to be relying on a 5ft 7" scrummie as our last line of defence anyway?

Date: 12 August, 2017 21:33

Quote:
TeflonTed
Several things about Strings......
and how on earth did we come to be relying on a 5ft 7" scrummie as our last line of defence anyway?

At 5'7" Reggie would have looked up to him. He was only 5'5" but a giant in the diplomatic corps. I on the other hand am 5'11".

Posted by: usa warrior (IP Logged)
Date: 12 August, 2017 21:36

Thought Arr looked good as well when he came on. Two great little breaks which is somewhat uncharacteristic and welcome.

Posted by: worcestawarrior (IP Logged)
Date: 12 August, 2017 22:27

It's not working out for Matti Williams,

Posted by: Wah-RE-or (IP Logged)
Date: 12 August, 2017 23:07

For me the positives were;

Jamie's boot and general bulking up. I do like him at FB.
Stringer's still got it and looked feisty when he shoved the Hartpury SH out the way to get at their No 8.
Olver a very good distributor.
Hammond looking very much on form.
Donnacha telling Matti Williams to "get him out the f****** way" (repeatedly) when the linesman was holding up the play for the ref.
A much better second half performance.

Downsides;

First half rusty.
Stringer and Olver combo looks a little light though ball distribution excellent.
Injuries, injuries, injuries....
Heem's a winger.
Scrum and lineout struggled at times.

Very difficult to take too much out of this type of game but there are the makings of a reasonable team there but 10 still looks light and as has been mentioned many times a few injuries and we could be struggling.

Date: 12 August, 2017 23:24

Quote:
FlipFlop
Reggie,

If I'd known I was being stalked, I would have got Mrs A to polish my shoes and iron a clean shirt sad smiley

Date: 13 August, 2017 00:26

It was very much a combined effort....blame Pattgad's mate....who knows everyone but keeps his head down!

There was a certain other regular present too, but it would be schnidy of me to name him.

Posted by: TVM Rides Again (IP Logged)
Date: 13 August, 2017 06:30

What you did there.......I see it

I think we should organise the northstand to all stand up one by one announcing that they are Abberley

Posted by: Whispering_Death (IP Logged)
Date: 13 August, 2017 07:24

Cox runs straighter and harder than anyone else in the squad. Heem is not a centre and struggled defensively there, as I thought he would. Shillcock showed touches of real class and has definitely been in the gym. CSW is a monster but didn't carry. Neither fly halfs kicked consistently well from hand and we are going to lose games due to missing kicks at goal.

We didn't overpower them at all in the scrum or the maul which for me is a worry. Having said that, it's very hard to be too judgemental in a game like that, and from that performance they will be useful in the Champ.

Posted by: Faithful_City (IP Logged)
Date: 13 August, 2017 08:34

We have a long way to go.

JP

Current Page: 1 of 2
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net