Current Page: 1 of 2
DoR for next season
Posted by: wusstawizard (IP Logged)
Date: 13 September, 2017 20:59

Assuming GG isn't sticking around beyond this season, I can't help but feel we need to have his replacement signed up and announced by Christmas.

Getting this all sorted early will give everyone involved much-needed peace of mind, and the new DoR can be heavily involved in the recruitment process.

Unfortunately we may need to be advertising the club to players who are willing to spend a season in the Championship...

Re: DoR for next season
Posted by: Brummagem Bertie (IP Logged)
Date: 13 September, 2017 22:30

Quote:
wusstawizard
Assuming GG isn't sticking around beyond this season, ...

That's a rather large assumption.

Quote:
wusstawizard
Unfortunately we may need to be advertising the club to players who are willing to spend a season in the Championship...

There are still 22 rounds to go. Could we at least wait until the New Year before we write ourselves off completely? (Sm16)

Whatever you do, do it safely!

Posted by: Beer Today, More Tomorrow (IP Logged)
Date: 14 September, 2017 05:09

Quote:
Brummagem Bertie
There are still 22 rounds to go

Only for the two teams which will be contesting the final. 21 for the losing semi-finalists, 20 for the other eight sides.

Posted by: Warr-i-ors! (IP Logged)
Date: 14 September, 2017 05:57

22 then.

Posted by: TVM Rides Again (IP Logged)
Date: 14 September, 2017 07:29

Quote:
wusstawizard

This place has always been useful in a crisis smiling smiley

Posted by: FlipFlop (IP Logged)
Date: 14 September, 2017 08:18

I think GG has only committed to this season IIRC press news in early close season due to family back home. It may be that EG was also a deciding factor in this commitment too and he is no longer on site. I guess unless we go on a surprising winning streak to get us in the top half of the league, this may help make the decision more difficult for him, but otherwise, i think we might reasonably expect that GG will be moving on.

Date: 14 September, 2017 10:27

Sorry, did mean to say 20 rounds - blame it on the hour.

GG has only signed a contract for this season, but that was on the basis that was all he could commit to at that time. I did see an interview with him where he said he enjoyed it over here but it all hinged on his sons' schooling.

I've gotten the impression from a number of things he's said at different times that that's also the only reason that his wife is still in SA: if they could work out a solution to that and the timing worked, in terms of school years and exams, the whole family might come over.

After all, with the number of South Africans over here, not just at Worcester, he's never far from a braai.

Posted by: Abberley (IP Logged)
Date: 14 September, 2017 11:52

Quote:
Brummagem Bertie
...he's never far from a braai.

...and Checketts have been producing excellent boerewors since 1975 from a recipe smuggled out of Northern Rhodesia by Mrs A.

Posted by: ROLLO (IP Logged)
Date: 14 September, 2017 14:58

I have a feeling that it may all depend upon what happens with EG and where we are next season. Whatever is said there is a fair amount of anxiety around Sixways at present.

Posted by: Underdog (IP Logged)
Date: 14 September, 2017 20:29

I agree Rollo. I'm much more anxious and pessimistic about the season ahead of us than I've ever been before.

You have to say, for all the off field stuff that may or may not be as bad as some of us think, a few wins would settle the nerves perfectly.

Date: 15 September, 2017 10:57

Quote:
ROLLO
I have a feeling that it may all depend upon what happens with EG and where we are next season. Whatever is said there is a fair amount of anxiety around Sixways at present.

A little bit intrigued by your comment, ROLLO.

When you refer to anxiety around Sixways do you mean amongst the supporters, or the players and staff, or both? If it includes the players and staff is this based on personal conversations or third party reports?

Or is it just your general impression/thoughts/opinion?

Not being confrontational, just interested in the detail.

Date: 15 September, 2017 11:32

BB a conversation with someone who should know in relation to the thread title.

Posted by: Powick Eastander (IP Logged)
Date: 15 September, 2017 11:39

Rollo then that is quite worrying.. Wasn't hopeful for this season now not at all hopeful about remaining in the Prem.

http://v4admin.sportnetwork.net/upload/130/130_0_1418121803.jpg Warriors Rugby Supporters Club http://v4admin.sportnetwork.net/upload/130/130_0_1418121803.jpg

Posted by: Faithful_City (IP Logged)
Date: 15 September, 2017 11:49

The question may be, "is EG still working on a consortium to take over the club?"

I am not sure if that is what would be best. If it is taken over and stays then good thing however if it moves absolutely not.

JP

Date: 15 September, 2017 11:58

Please note I used my words carefully ( as I always try to do ) I said a fair amount, not a lot or a huge amount , I perhaps could have said some. At present the news coming out of the club is little and I can understand that. What will be important is how the information is filtered through to those inside the club - but we all know that anyway.

Posted by: Spa eaststander (IP Logged)
Date: 16 September, 2017 13:54

If we need a new DOR then we should get someone who has something to prove not just a big name. After all,Rob Baxter had little experience when appointed at Exeter. Jim Mallender started the climb at Saints after being sacked by Sale. Someone looking to develop his career is what we need!

Posted by: usa warrior (IP Logged)
Date: 16 September, 2017 18:01

Been mentioned before, but we could do worse than Vesty I feel. Give him a shot and allow him to build a group of young players and coaches around him for a couple of years.

Agree that GG will be off at the end of the season as well.

Posted by: A38 (IP Logged)
Date: 16 September, 2017 18:13

We could do a great deal worse.

Date: 21 September, 2017 15:21

Thanks ROLLO.

If we do need a new DoR for next season it seems to me we have 2 choices:

1. Bring in someone from outside - that doesn't do a lot for the continuity that seems to be necessary for success, e.g. Saints, Harlequins, Exe;

2. Promote from within - i.e. Hogg to DoR, Vesty/Cross to Head Coach, with other promotions and bringing in someone lower down the tree. That would have the advantage of continuity because I would imagine that Hogg and the other coaches would be more likely to keep a similar approach to Gold, so not a completely new set of ideas for the players to get used to.

Posted by: w4rriorz1980 (IP Logged)
Date: 21 September, 2017 17:39

Could be wrong and I hope I am but if Hogg is promoted to DoR I don't think it'll work out.He's a head coach not a DoR.IMHO.

Current Page: 1 of 2
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net