Current Page: 3 of 5
Re: DOR news
Posted by: usa warrior (IP Logged)
Date: 06 October, 2017 09:13

Who would you have JP? Honestly can't think of too many without jobs already.

Posted by: Warriordad (IP Logged)
Date: 06 October, 2017 09:42

FC it is hard to say what we need. Hence the reason for the speculation.

Players may need a reality check? We need someone with a backs against the wall mentality.

Posted by: A38 (IP Logged)
Date: 06 October, 2017 09:58

Three inter-connected things up in the air at the moment, all potentially destabilising until resolved: ownership, new DOR and imminent signing / re-signing season.

Ideally, new owners would come in very soon with clear ideas of what they want to achieve on the rugby field and the ability to appoint a new DOR who would be able to put that vision into practice. That in turn would open the door to sensible recruitment and retention negotiations.

But two negative thoughts: time in running out for contract negotiations; the emphasis on the sale "prospectus" has been on the non-rugby side (hotel etc)

Equally, the present board give every indication of taking their time.

So, all we can do from our supporter vantage point is to act like Mr Micawber and hope that something turns up!

Posted by: ROLLO (IP Logged)
Date: 06 October, 2017 10:15

Good post A38, I have referred to the signing /re-signing issues in the Blair Cowen thread.
I would like to think that we are in no more than a tricky situation, but the truth could be starker than that.
One or two candles to be lit this afternoon I think!

Posted by: knightstemplar (IP Logged)
Date: 06 October, 2017 11:29

The DOR will want to appoint his own signings not take someone elses on its a bit of a minefield. I guess a DOR would want new owners inplace for security. I woukd suggest until the new investors are in it will be slow going.

Posted by: Faithful_City (IP Logged)
Date: 06 October, 2017 11:55

IF, we can get the finance/investment/sale secured AND a new DoR sorted in time for the new DoR to get his recruitment and 2018-19 team in place that will be a massive step forward for the club.

All of our DoRs have taken over in desperate circumstances stuck with long term contracts of existing players, making it more difficult to put his team in place.

We have an opportunity which the club just have to get right.

JP

Posted by: GrubberKk (IP Logged)
Date: 06 October, 2017 12:11

Try something different...go leftfield a bit.

Don't keep treading the same path.

Create an identity. Focus on youth.

Some brilliant young coaches/coaches working with young talent out there with vision and new methods. Do it.

Because doing the same thing time and again hasn't got the club anywhere in the past 10 years...

Just my opinion.

Posted by: Whispering_Death (IP Logged)
Date: 06 October, 2017 12:16

Definition of insanity right. You might argue you'd be insane to take the job under the current circumstances.

Posted by: FlipFlop (IP Logged)
Date: 06 October, 2017 12:28

A big IF JP.

I think we all realise for things to happen as you suggest, we should be hearing on Monday, that all is sorted. As Rollo and A38 allude too, players are being re-signed and no doubt Agents are sounding out opportunities for their clients on the QT with possible teams already. We could reasonably have a large number leaving at the end of this year, with little put in place to replace them, unless we are actively doing that work now. With no new DoR in place as far as we all know, not sure we can be doing that.

Not doubting that the club is working at these issues in the background, but not sure it will be sorted soon enough to get all the players we want to keep, in place.

When does FH contract expire? I've a feeling it may be at the end of this season, but i am probably wrong on that point.

Posted by: Abberley (IP Logged)
Date: 06 October, 2017 12:38

Quote:
ROLLO
At risk of opening a whole can of worms a lot of time, energy and in the end cash has been expended in getting a separation between the amateur club and the professional one. Exeter did not have this problem.

Prompted to look up the origin of the expression 'Can of worms' - and it's apparently not from what I had always assumed it to be sad smiley

Surely Exeter had exactly the same problems as Worcester - but they (and particularly Tony Rowe) have handled it much better?

AFAIK, Exeter are still a Members Club, owning all the shares in Exeter Rugby Ltd via trustees and, although Tony Rowe has funded them to an extent similar to Cecil & Co. at Worcester, that funding has been via bonds rather than 'ownership'.

They have in the past been the subject of a potential hostile takeover via bulk Membership invasion but have put in place complex rules & articles that will prevent that ever happening in future. (Perhaps one of our resident beancounters could expand on the detail?)

To JP's list of DoRs I would add Les Cusworth as the most signifiant loss. He was involved with all levels of the Club at Worcester and I'm sure could have given us the continuity to evolve in a similar way to Exeter. (He even had a 'local' connection in that he did his teacher training at West Midlands College of Education.)

Date: 06 October, 2017 13:57

"When does FH contract expire? I've a feeling it may be at the end of this season, but i am probably wrong on that point."

FH had a three yr contract of which he is year 2 presently.

Posted by: Offa (IP Logged)
Date: 06 October, 2017 14:20

I don't know much about young coaches, and would be tempted to take a punt with one. In my wildest dreams I would hope for Alex Sanderson. If we wanted a grizzled experienced coach, maybe Brian Smith. Question really is who is available and interested?

Posted by: Butthead (IP Logged)
Date: 06 October, 2017 15:05

Surely we need to look no further than the Warriors Rugby Supporters Facebook group? Almost everyone in there claims to have better ideas than all of our current playing and coaching staff. It would be a shame for all that rugby talent to go to waste.

Posted by: MSR-Worcester (IP Logged)
Date: 06 October, 2017 15:13

Quote:
usa warrior
"When does FH contract expire? I've a feeling it may be at the end of this season, but i am probably wrong on that point."
FH had a three yr contract of which he is year 2 presently.

But this is his 3rd season with us?!

Date: 06 October, 2017 15:24

Yes and no. He came on a short term contract first in 2016 (remember was off to the Olympics straight after), then we signed him on a three year deal.

This is his second season of that deal. He's just managed to perform his magic twice and therefore seems like he's been here forever (or not at all if you ask some people).

Date: 06 October, 2017 15:29

I would doubt Alex Sanderson would choose us after a brief chat with his big Bro.

Posted by: Teme Dream (IP Logged)
Date: 06 October, 2017 16:25

As we already have a pretty high-flying young coach in Sam Vesty I don't think it's likely that the board will want to appoint another younger coach.
Difficult to see the likes of Cockerill or Lancaster moving away from European Cup teams unless they get the old heave-ho. Phil Davies might be ineterested in coming back (again again)

Left field thoughts:
Jason O'Halloran
Milton Haig

Posted by: Offa (IP Logged)
Date: 06 October, 2017 16:26

"Wildest dreams."
I Don't kid myself for an instant that he would come to us from the European champs.

Posted by: TeflonTed (IP Logged)
Date: 06 October, 2017 16:59

Quote:
FlipFlop
I would doubt Alex Sanderson would choose us after a brief chat with his big Bro.

Totally agree, but not that he'd take any notice whatsoever of Pat, just that he wouldn't touch us with a bargepole.

Date: 06 October, 2017 19:35

Is Alex still at Sarries. Saw him going be a chat pre Sarries game some years ago discussing their community coaching and network. Smart chap. If hes still there, no doubt happy enough.

Current Page: 3 of 5
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net