Rugby League injuries
Posted by: sat fan (IP Logged)
Date: 07 October, 2017 09:07

Yet more injuries in the Quins/Sale game last night. I don't watch League, and wondered if they have the same injury problems that Union has right now. If not, is there anything Union could learn.

Presumably playing 13 aside increases the space, and scrum injuries are also reduced - but is there anything around the tackle and collision area that is different?

Re: Rugby League injuries
Posted by: TeflonTed (IP Logged)
Date: 07 October, 2017 09:12

There's no ruck, so no clearout collisions.

Posted by: Underdog (IP Logged)
Date: 07 October, 2017 09:53

The recent slew of injuries that all teams seem to be facing is beginning to make me think about why I love this sport. I think the sport, including fans, need to ask themselves some tough questions.

Can we all say we enjoy watching and enjoying the physicality of rugby, knowing that it causes other human beings to have fairly serious operations, fairly regularly.

Most of my friends are football fans, and Man Utd ones at that. They seem really disappointed that Pogba is injured for them, and that's one injury. I worry that we've become numb to the idea that at any one time, there could be half a dozen serious injuries to our players.

I don't really know what the answer is (maybe weight limits for teams?), but if something isn't done, I know that the time will come when I just find watching rugby too ghoulish. Maybe that's me being soft,but I just think that it's the best sport on earth, and the people who play it ought to be protected from themselves a little bit.

Posted by: sat fan (IP Logged)
Date: 07 October, 2017 11:32

I know what you mean - players wrecking their bodies for sport seems like too high a price to pay. Not sure what the answer is; rules have been changed to reduce injuries, but seem to have made them worse.

That said, without the physicality the sport becomes an 80 minute game of touch rugby - not much of a spectacle.

Posted by: Simba (IP Logged)
Date: 07 October, 2017 11:48

Itís not the laws that are the problem, itís their lack of application at the top level.
Just go and watch Malvern, Droitwich, Stourbridge or who ever and the games a generally better referred to the laws.

Unless this is addressed the situation will never improve.

Posted by: BrumBrum (IP Logged)
Date: 07 October, 2017 11:58

The games in a Catch 22.
It's the physicality, the big hits that make the game, but it's also killing the game.

A couple of year ago wasn't there a trial (or discussion about such a trial)in Southern Hemisphere where they had a very clear block of White on one team and black on another from stomach upwards with no tackles allow in the block.
The idea being that upper body hits cause the majority of injuries on the tackler and the tackled player.

It's the rucks that cause the most injuries, not the tackling.
The Block would stop the upper body tackling and the upper body rucking where clear outs have become just brutal.
But it really could kill the game. Listen to the gasps and cheers when Spencer, CSW or Denton when they thump into an opposition player.

Posted by: dkexile (IP Logged)
Date: 07 October, 2017 18:41

I definitely think the rules need to be tightened to protect players more, things like marginally late hits especially on fly halves and people kicking need to be far more harshly punished.
Armless hits and hurling into rucks need to be stopped and high tackles.

It might make the game softer but the attrition rate is just too high at the minute.

Also make the game faster so players can't carry so much muscle

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net