Shock
Posted by: WarriorRiddler (IP Logged)
Date: 13 February, 2018 13:58

A few wins and positive performances blinded many of you to the greater issues within the club. With the previous doubt on DOR and ownership, the players were forced to make decisions on their immediate future. We can hardly express views like 'he shouldn't play for us again' or 'he is disloyal' when they were ultimately given no choice. The continuity of their employer, or lack there of, caused these deals to be made before Christmas.

Re: Shock
Posted by: Warrior7 (IP Logged)
Date: 13 February, 2018 14:02

How do you know? Why did Mills, Lewis, Hammond and Mama re-sign if there was such uncertainty among the players?

Posted by: Whispering_Death (IP Logged)
Date: 13 February, 2018 14:03

Iím not sure I agree. Look at the way the players have all still fronted up. They could easily have imploded but they havenít, far from it, which suggests to me that they havenít felt unstable about the future of the club. Two of our three best players re-signing is testament to that. Personally I wouldnít play Denton again unless injuries donít allow that.

Posted by: knightstemplar (IP Logged)
Date: 13 February, 2018 14:05

Quote:
Whispering_Death
Iím not sure I agree. Look at the way the players have all still fronted up. They could easily have imploded but they havenít, far from it, which suggests to me that they havenít felt unstable about the future of the club. Two of our three best players re-signing is testament to that. Personally I wouldnít play Denton again unless injuries donít allow that.

We still need to survive its not over yet?

Date: 13 February, 2018 14:10

Mama because he has been injured for a year.
The rest...£££

Posted by: The Mailman (IP Logged)
Date: 13 February, 2018 14:28

WarriorRiddler sounds like one of the players to be honest. I'm afraid most will have no sympathy. Yes players have the right to leave, and do what's in their self-interest, but us supporters very much have the right to be irritated with them in return.

Should the players get a pat on the back for getting their careers back on track at Sixways and then leaving at the very first opportunity? I think not. Some players (the good guys with Worcester's interests at heart) were happy to stay. Others were motivated by other reasons and decided to leave. Don't accept this 'the players had no choice' rubbish as they clearly did!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 13/02/2018 14:38 by The Mailman.

Posted by: A38 (IP Logged)
Date: 13 February, 2018 14:41

I'm afraid that we are going to have to get used to being a "stepping stone" club.

Playing for certain clubs will always come with a cachet that Worcester simply does not provide. Heritage clubs and all that - and the prospect of silverware.

Mrs A38 supports a football team which had had the same problem in the past - and it's endemic in that sport now.

We're going to have to get used to it. It will happen more and more. As the press release said: " but thatís the nature of professional sport."

And no I don't like and for that reason I will be applauding Jonny Arr on Saturday.

The Club clearly knew that this was coming. To cushion the shock, we've had today's Chairman's message, a re-signing and news of new signings. Somebody's managing the PR at Sixways.

Date: 13 February, 2018 15:06

Quote:
The Mailman
WarriorRiddler sounds like one of the players to be honest. I'm afraid most will have no sympathy. Yes players have the right to leave, and do what's in their self-interest, but us supporters very much have the right to be irritated with them in return.
Should the players get a pat on the back for getting their careers back on track at Sixways and then leaving at the very first opportunity? I think not. Some players (the good guys with Worcester's interests at heart) were happy to stay. Others were motivated by other reasons and decided to leave. Don't accept this 'the players had no choice' rubbish as they clearly did!

Uncertain future vs. three year contract elsewhere...no brainer I'm afraid! No one wants to be the last man on the Island saying 'the tides not coming in'.

Posted by: TeflonTed (IP Logged)
Date: 13 February, 2018 15:12

Quote:
WarriorRiddler
Quote:
The Mailman

Uncertain future vs. three year contract elsewhere...no brainer I'm afraid! No one wants to be the last man on the Island saying 'the tides not coming in'.

Since WarriorRiddler is:-
a) New
b)Given to the use of multiple stops....and exclamation marks !!, both of which I freely admit are vices of mine, regular users should be reassured that if it doesn't
say Ted on the post, it isn't Ted behind the post.

I'll ask again.... just how is old Reggie doing?

Posted by: FlipFlop (IP Logged)
Date: 13 February, 2018 15:21

"I'm afraid that we are going to have to get used to being a "stepping stone" club."

If we accept that, we accept mediocrity and struggle in the Prem.

I acknowledge it is clear that this is where we are now. Somehow ( wish i knew how) the club needs to make a freak one off step change and fluke a 6th or win the ECC and gate crash the 'top table' for income reasons, player retention and player recruitment.

It may have to be a fluke as well, as trying to plan for a long term seems perpetually doomed to short termism by owners, players or coaches or a combination thereof.

We need to be the destination,not the journey IMO.

Posted by: The Mailman (IP Logged)
Date: 13 February, 2018 15:38

Quote:
WarriorRiddler
Quote:
The Mailman

Writing in bold doesn't make your point any stronger.

What your analysis is missing, with respect, is the loyalty and caring about the club dimension. You can only be as hard-nosed as you're suggesting if you don't particularly care about your present employers and are only looking after No.1. Which is exactly what (in my opinion) Spencer and Denton seem to be doing.

If you care about the club, like Ryan Mills (and Chris Pennell in the past), then you give the club every opportunity to prove that the tide isn't coming in. Yes I know rugby is a short career etc, and players have every right to think selfishly if they want. However, what I don't accept is that supporters (who can't jump ship!) simply have to accept it and not feel a bit annoyed at the opportunism shown by some.

And please let's not pretend that the players have no choice. Other players (the ones staying) had a choice and they made a very different one.

Posted by: Fiver (IP Logged)
Date: 13 February, 2018 23:00

WarriorRiddler does have the tone of a disgruntled employee, although that doesn't mean a player. I've heard many staff are unhappy with Gus' management style. The key for the board is to spot what's making staff (including players) unhappy and deal with it. Richard Branson knows a few tricks in business, so listening to his view on looking after employees wouldn't be a bad thing.

If the re-signings did so for the money then so be it. It we don't wave the cheque book occasionally, you can be sure as hell someone else will.

Posted by: misunderstood (IP Logged)
Date: 14 February, 2018 20:45

As we appear to be very active in the player market right now, do we all really think that the incoming players might actually know a bit more than we do?
If all was doom and gloom then why would we be attracting some very good players
More good news to come I think........

Always misunderstood

Posted by: usa warrior (IP Logged)
Date: 14 February, 2018 20:48

Which bit of news do you think they know misunderstood?

Honestly donít believe there is too much more to know at present, but also donít believe weíre as ďbrokenĒ as some suggest.

Posted by: misunderstood (IP Logged)
Date: 14 February, 2018 20:58

If i knew the answer to that question i would also lnow the 6 numbers for the lottery this weekend
My point is that someone is selling a vision to them or why would they sign? Please don't quote the DR 5 year plan back at me
Not just players, coaches as well

Always misunderstood

Posted by: usa warrior (IP Logged)
Date: 14 February, 2018 21:01

I donít disagree with you, someone clearly is; and good on them.

I also agree that there is more positivity to come. Possibly when weíre a bit more secure in the league.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net