Reflections on the Day
Posted by: A38 (IP Logged)
Date: 13 February, 2018 22:56

Time to draw breath and digest the news we've had today. It's all come at a bit of a rush.

If we step back from the individual player movements - and get over our unease with one departure - can we see what the broad picture is?

There does not appear to be an imminent change of ownership and on the back of the signings / re-signings so far it appears that the present owners have committed themselves to a decent budget for next season. There is no evidence of cut and run.

It would appear that the coaching team at the beginning of next season will be radically different from the one which started this season. There may only be one or two survivors.

However the core of the present match day squad will be here next season. I agree that there will need to be strengthening in the front five where the power of Spencer and Denton will need to be replaced and that, of course, attention must be given to the half backs.

The club has listened to feedback about Friday night games - and has presumably done the sums - and has offered small scale forums to gather more supporter / customer opinion.

I fully accept that there is much more work to be done before we can look forward firstly to safety from relegation and secondly to next season with easy hearts but I must admit to being rather more optimistic than I was a few weeks ago. I'm almost reassured that the club is in good hands.

Re: Reflections on the Day
Posted by: centrethere (IP Logged)
Date: 14 February, 2018 08:06

The sum of is greater than the parts

Posted by: The Mailman (IP Logged)
Date: 14 February, 2018 08:48

Think we need to compare those players and coaches coming in with those leaving. Thus far for me itís about even (although Iíd prefer Gold and Vesty to Solomons and Duncan). The problem is that we need to be improving not standing still ... although itís reassuring that the current owners arenít jumping ship and leaving us in a hole. Guess much depends on signings yet to be announced.

Posted by: knightstemplar (IP Logged)
Date: 14 February, 2018 09:00

I concur its positive and to go forward it depends on the future signings for next season its all about the depth of the squad.

The jury is still out on whether we will be in yet another relegation scrap but its brighter than it was a few weeks ago.

Hopefully more budget and signings to come

Posted by: kiddykid (IP Logged)
Date: 14 February, 2018 09:45

A38......a good summary that is difficult to disagree with.
Greater strength in the pack is needed and a skilled no. 10 is still awaited - not a short term signing but one who will be around for a while pulling the strings and training up younger players too.
I will not be surprised to see even more SA players coming in - but it didn't do Sarries any harm did it?

Posted by: TeflonTed (IP Logged)
Date: 14 February, 2018 15:58

I agree with the drift here.

Itís been very unsettling for the last 3 months, and issues we were told would be resolved remain open.

But communication is much improved, and reassurances about conditions being applied to posssible change of ownership are very positive.

Iím looking forward to the ST holder forum session with great anticipation. The management are clearly sensitive to opinions on here, and small in numbers though we may be, the posters here represent the only sample of ST holder opinion that management can read, and itís probably quite a representative sample.

The best example is the Fri v Sat debate, and though personally I favour Fridays Iím quite happy to see a positive response from the club to the obvious majority on here who prefer Sat.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net