Current Page: 1 of 3
'Shed' a tear
Posted by: WarriorRiddler (IP Logged)
Date: 15 May, 2018 13:50

Bristol-esque news to come from Kingsholm shortly!!!

Re: 'Shed' a tear
Posted by: usa warrior (IP Logged)
Date: 15 May, 2018 14:03

Lions and Tigers and Bears! Oh my!!

Date: 15 May, 2018 14:42

Nope, just a rebrand. Not Lions, yet...

Posted by: Powick Eastander (IP Logged)
Date: 15 May, 2018 15:03

Posted by: Fiver (IP Logged)
Date: 15 May, 2018 15:07

I had a look on their website and started reading the guff about the re-brand. Got about halfway through before it reminded me why I didn't go into marketing.

Posted by: Powick Eastander (IP Logged)
Date: 15 May, 2018 15:32

Quote:
Fiver
I had a look on their website and started reading the guff about the re-brand. Got about halfway through before it reminded me why I didn't go into marketing.

All sounds a bit familiar I thought..

http://v4admin.sportnetwork.net/upload/130/130_0_1418121803.jpg Warriors Rugby Supporters Club http://v4admin.sportnetwork.net/upload/130/130_0_1418121803.jpg

Posted by: WorcesterSauce (IP Logged)
Date: 15 May, 2018 15:56

Really? Their guff seems far more relateable and real compared with ours and more recently Bristol.

For example look at the justification of the change taken from their website:

''Gloucester Rugby is who we are.
The Shield represents the history of the City.
Cherry and White Hoops remain the clubs colours.
The Lion has been part of past Gloucester Rugby logos, stemming from the clubs original use of the Gloucester City Crest.
1873 represents our History''

Makes a lot more sense than Bristol's guff about bears being brave and courageous animals and how this depicted Bristol. Whereas it's not perfect, this sort of rebranding i don't mind. Theyve made a conscience effort to keep their history, identity and heritage and incorporate it into the 21st century - whereas it may not be to everyone's taste, at least they have tried and made the effort.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 15/05/2018 15:59 by WorcesterSauce.

Posted by: TeflonTed (IP Logged)
Date: 15 May, 2018 15:58

“original use of the...........”

Leaves us all in suspense....

Proper tease marketing.

Love it.

Date: 15 May, 2018 16:00

Haha apologies. Accidentally hit the 'post message' mid writing.

Posted by: Grasshopper (IP Logged)
Date: 15 May, 2018 16:07

No doubt there will be lots of "I don't like/want the change" posts and campaigns for the next few years.......Yawn! (Sm159)

Date: 15 May, 2018 16:31

Funnily enough the reaction on Shed Web isn't at all bad. I remember on here when our re-branding was done and a poll was done where it was virtually all against the rebrand. Funny how many of these posters have now disappeared and do not post anymore. And people say re-branding doesn't put supporters off....

The initial reaction to this has been be nowhere near as bad as it was for ours or Bristol.

Posted by: Garym (IP Logged)
Date: 15 May, 2018 16:43

Quote:
WorcesterSauce
Funnily enough the reaction on Shed Web isn't at all bad. I remember on here when our re-branding was done and a poll was done where it was virtually all against the rebrand. Funny how many of these posters have now disappeared and do not post anymore. And people say re-branding doesn't put supporters off....
The initial reaction to this has been be nowhere near as bad as it was for ours or Bristol.

Doesn’t mean they don’t go to matches, they just don’t post on here

Date: 15 May, 2018 16:43

I think Bristol helped to soften any real animosity as people could see how bad it could be!!

This launch was originally to be a name change as well, but they've put that back due to the backlash down the M5 a few months ago. Sensible.

Date: 15 May, 2018 16:55

Garym - true, and no doubt that is the case for some of them. Just seems strange given there was regular posters on here almost all against it. Now there seems to be much more of a mix.

USAW - I can't see that being true, given that in the justification/faqs on their website they specifically say ''Are you going to change your name to Gloucester Lions?'' with the answer being ''No, our name is not changing. Our name remains Gloucester Rugby.''. They have also launched with the branding of 'We are Gloucester Rugby'. They won't be changing the name, at least for the foreseeable future. Perhaps they thought about it but Bris put them off.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 15/05/2018 16:57 by WorcesterSauce.

Posted by: TVM Rides Again (IP Logged)
Date: 15 May, 2018 17:31

Quote:
WorcesterSauce

To be honest that doesn't really tally with my memory of it.

Granted the majority were unsure, but after a fairly short time wanted to get back to the day to day business of rugby, and after a bit more time just wished everyone would stop going on.

Granted there were one or two who made some grand gesture about leaving here - but there are others who i know stopped because it stopped being 'fun' - a big reason being the factionalisation and level of sheer ire it all caused.

Just my tuppence worth

Posted by: ROLLO (IP Logged)
Date: 15 May, 2018 19:48

I think after signing Cips they could call themselves " The Little Pink Ponies " and the majority of Glos supporters wouldn't mind.Good timing of news methinks.

Date: 15 May, 2018 20:10

WS they may not now after the Bristol mess, but it was definitely planned.

Why else create a brand new logo with a whopping great Lion on it!!

Posted by: BronsonWarrior (IP Logged)
Date: 16 May, 2018 13:47

I've worked in Branding for well over 15 years, so stuff like this always interests me.

I've got no issue with the rebrand overall, without going into the sort of territory that would bore everyone but me, modern logo usage now has a fundamental requirement of rendering well at extremely small sizes, so there's been a major move away from the level of detail you'd get in the likes of their old logo.

What I do have an issue with is the final design is a bit generic. It looks like something out of a video game crossed with the Premier League's current lionhead remier_League_Lion_Crown_(2016).svg">(http://logos.wikia.com/wiki/Filetongue sticking out smileyremier_League_Lion_Crown_(2016).svg). I mean, I'm all for progress and taking a chance, and when a rebrand is done well it can work wonders with a fanbase / userbase's engagement. But this is a bit of a letdown. Not awful, just... not amazing.

Posted by: Fiver (IP Logged)
Date: 16 May, 2018 19:16

When I first saw it my first reaction was "Ooh, looks like Tigers". I then had to go back and look at the Tigers' logo.

Considering clubs are always looking for new fans, it could cause a few misunderstandings.

Posted by: w4rriorz1980 (IP Logged)
Date: 16 May, 2018 19:51

Quote:
BronsonWarrior
I've worked in Branding for well over 15 years, so stuff like this always interests me.
I've got no issue with the rebrand overall, without going into the sort of territory that would bore everyone but me, modern logo usage now has a fundamental requirement of rendering well at extremely small sizes, so there's been a major move away from the level of detail you'd get in the likes of their old logo.

What I do have an issue with is the final design is a bit generic. It looks like something out of a video game crossed with the Premier League's current lionhead remier_League_Lion_Crown_(2016).svg">(http://logos.wikia.com/wiki/Filetongue sticking out smileyremier_League_Lion_Crown_(2016).svg). I mean, I'm all for progress and taking a chance, and when a rebrand is done well it can work wonders with a fanbase / userbase's engagement. But this is a bit of a letdown. Not awful, just... not amazing.
I'm clicking on the link but it's directing me to Logipedia saying it's a bad title.I hope not full of viruses.Unless my fire tablet isn't compatible for it or summat.

Eats,Shoots And Leaves

Current Page: 1 of 3
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net