Current Page: 1 of 4
Team news - Pau
Posted by: Powick Eastander (IP Logged)
Date: 06 December, 2018 11:27

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DtuypyEXQAEbfsZ.jpg:large

http://v4admin.sportnetwork.net/upload/130/130_0_1418121803.jpg Warriors Rugby Supporters Club http://v4admin.sportnetwork.net/upload/130/130_0_1418121803.jpg

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/12/2018 08:55 by Powick Eastander.

Re: Team new - Pau
Posted by: WorcesterSauce (IP Logged)
Date: 06 December, 2018 11:32

I think we are actually trying to throw the game/qualificstion.

Oh well, who wants to win trophies anyway!

Posted by: ROLLO (IP Logged)
Date: 06 December, 2018 11:35

I think that my prediction in the round was pretty good.

Posted by: MSR-Worcester (IP Logged)
Date: 06 December, 2018 11:36

Like it. Good smattering of youth with experience. 2/3 of the those players did a job on Stade back in October. Hopefully we can repeat the same. However I expect the weather and a big french pack might make a difference.

Interesting that Baldwin is firmly out of the picture.

Also presumably Taufete'e, Mama, Kirwan all still out.

Posted by: Freypal (IP Logged)
Date: 06 December, 2018 11:41

Good to see a few returning from injury. Makes sense to give them what should be a highly competitive run out.

Posted by: centrethere (IP Logged)
Date: 06 December, 2018 11:44

It is not beefed up enough with 4-5 1st xvs. It will be some mighty performance to get away with this one including the spilt milk of teo

Posted by: Ake1985 (IP Logged)
Date: 06 December, 2018 11:47

Can Cutting or Miller play in any other positions? We have 4 guys in the squad who can play hooker

Posted by: Patgadd (IP Logged)
Date: 06 December, 2018 11:48

Not a bad team in the circs.

Posted by: AJWarriors (IP Logged)
Date: 06 December, 2018 11:50

Quote:
Ake1985
Can Cutting or Miller play in any other positions? We have 4 guys in the squad who can play hooker

Cutting can play at 8.

Date: 06 December, 2018 11:55

Quote:
Patgadd
Not a bad team in the circs.

Really? Other than in the back row our injury problems are not that bad. The bench is horrifically weak.

Posted by: dkexile (IP Logged)
Date: 06 December, 2018 11:59

I like it, plenty of players with points to prove, plus hopefully our future first choice 10, 12, 13 if butler comes on for Oliver.

Great to see Kitchener playing after that injury scare.

Posted by: Faithful_City (IP Logged)
Date: 06 December, 2018 12:00

Well this lot did pretty damn good against Stade Francais, we are far from throwing the game!

15	Perry Humphreys				
14	Dean Hammond				
13	Ollie Lawrence				
12	Ashley Beck				
11	Tom Howe			
10	Jono Lance
9	Michael Heaney				
1	Ethan Waller				
2	Niall Annett				
3	Simon Kerrod				
4	Andrew Kitchener				
5	Pierce Phillips				
6	Ted Hill			
7	Matti Williams				
8	Matt Cox

Replacements
16	Joe Taufete'e				
17	Kai Owen				
18	Gareth Milasinovich				
19	Justin Clegg				
20	Tom Dodd				
21	Luke Baldwin				
22	Jamie Shillcock			
23	Wynand Olivier

Posted by: Ake1985 (IP Logged)
Date: 06 December, 2018 12:01

Quote:
AJWarriors
Quote:
Ake1985

Cutting can play at 8.

Really?? Not that I've seen a huge amount of him but he seems to small/lightweight to be an 8.

What's happened to Dodd, thought he was quite highly thought of.

Good to see miller and butler fit and getting some game time

Date: 06 December, 2018 12:05

Quote:
Faithful_City
Well this lot did pretty damn good against Stade Francais, we are far from throwing the game!
15	Perry Humphreys				
14	Dean Hammond				
13	Ollie Lawrence				
12	Ashley Beck				
11	Tom Howe			
10	Jono Lance
9	Michael Heaney				
1	Ethan Waller				
2	Niall Annett				
3	Simon Kerrod				
4	Andrew Kitchener				
5	Pierce Phillips				
6	Ted Hill			
7	Matti Williams				
8	Matt Cox

Replacements
16	Joe Taufete'e				
17	Kai Owen				
18	Gareth Milasinovich				
19	Justin Clegg				
20	Tom Dodd				
21	Luke Baldwin				
22	Jamie Shillcock			
23	Wynand Olivier

The teams are similar (although for Stade we had a much better 10 and 6) but crucially the bench was much more powerful for Stade. I dont know anything about the Pau team but to play a weakened team in the first game is an unneccessry risk in many ways, IMO.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/12/2018 12:06 by WorcesterSauce.

Posted by: Mantis Mirth (IP Logged)
Date: 06 December, 2018 12:12

Anybody travelling over to watch the match?

Posted by: lawnsman (IP Logged)
Date: 06 December, 2018 12:23

7 of Pau's team started against Lyon last week and 15 out of their 23 man squad this week were in the squad last week. So they are hedging their bets as well?

Posted by: Whispering_Death (IP Logged)
Date: 06 December, 2018 12:38

Why does it suddenly matter if we progress in this comp. We are two points off bottom in the prem so surely the prem has to be priority. Seems a very sensible selection to me.

Posted by: centrethere (IP Logged)
Date: 06 December, 2018 12:49

Answer: we put much more stress /pressure on ourselves at home the week before Saints if we lose; as opposed to confidence / feel good / momentum if we have won.

Posted by: Warrior Al (IP Logged)
Date: 06 December, 2018 12:50

FC, that's my point exactly we are in the position where we are in this comp thanks to a similar sort of team. Bearing in mind Pennel is banned, Teo swanned off, Lance, Beck, Du Prez, Mama, Joe T, Bower are all injured. Nick, Jack, Houggi, weir, Joshy and Bryce are rightly being protected. What/ who else do we have better? Ok Mills and Vents could play but I rightly think Lawerence and Olivier deserve a chance in midfield. Don't forget if we progress in this comp but lose key players through the process relegation isn't too far away.

Date: 06 December, 2018 12:56

Exactly centrethere.

There are a few point as to why we should want to qualify.

1- We have got ourselves into a great position where 2 wins vs Pau will almost see us home. Why jeopodise this? We never do well in anything, we may as well give it a pop.
2- Pau will be much, much stronger at home than away. IMO we should be looking to ensure we win at their place first and foremost, knocking them out in the process, and then putting the seconds out at home (remember french sides are awful away, particularly an already knocked out one) and winning anyway.
3- as centrethere says, a stronger team this week would then allow us a 2 week break going into Saints. If we play the first team vs Pau, we are only giving the players 5 days break before Northampton. Haven't our very own players argued that this isn't enough in the past?
4- If we lose this week Pau are right back in it, and may fancy it against us at home. Nevertheless, if we lose this week i'd argue we are out as we have to travel to Ospreys, so may as well play the seconds vs Pau anyway.

We may win but it's a stupid and needless risk that not only jeopodises our once chance in, what 10 years(??) of european qualification, but also could jeopodise our very important game with Northampton if we pick up any injories/knocks in the Sixways game as there is no way players will come back from any sort of knock in 5 days. I'm not doubting we should be resting players but we have got the wrong week.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/12/2018 12:57 by WorcesterSauce.

Current Page: 1 of 4
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net