Current Page: 1 of 3
Sir for the Bath game
Posted by: TeflonTed (IP Logged)
Date: 03 January, 2019 13:49

Ref:- Ian Tempest
Assts:-JP Doyle and Simon Harding
TMO:-Stuart Terheege

Could have been worse, at least Doyle is on the sideline without a whistle.

Re: Sir for the Bath game
Posted by: Butthead (IP Logged)
Date: 03 January, 2019 16:49

He'll be better able to hear our advice from the East Stand.

Posted by: Redditch Crowd (IP Logged)
Date: 04 January, 2019 16:11

still banging on about refs then gents...? Doyle is an experienced referee and if you listen to him on the 'radio' you might appreciate the same rather than whinging from the stands...
Never ceases to amaze me that most on here will have played/supported junior family/watched for years/all of the above, yet still snipe at the man in the middle - it is an incredibly difficult job, with players increasingly not helping and odd error will happen - but, hey, I could be wrong and there is, in fact, a massive Dan Brown style conspiracy against Worcester led by the Illuminati that runs the world from the Rec and The Ricoh....

Posted by: w4rriorz1980 (IP Logged)
Date: 04 January, 2019 16:22

Quote:
Redditch Crowd
still banging on about refs then gents...? Doyle is an experienced referee and if you listen to him on the 'radio' you might appreciate the same rather than whinging from the stands...
Never ceases to amaze me that most on here will have played/supported junior family/watched for years/all of the above, yet still snipe at the man in the middle - it is an incredibly difficult job, with players increasingly not helping and odd error will happen - but, hey, I could be wrong and there is, in fact, a massive Dan Brown style conspiracy against Worcester led by the Illuminati that runs the world from the Rec and The Ricoh....
I don't think the Illuminati will like Coventry...(Sm159)(Sm126)

Eats,Shoots And Leaves

Date: 04 January, 2019 16:27

Quote:
Redditch Crowd
but, hey, I could be wrong ..

Yep. You could.

No conspiracy theories, no accusations of bias or cheating, just too many inexplicable decisions that the pundits, commentators and a few of us find add up over the years.

But of course, we could be wrong.

Posted by: Eternal optimist (IP Logged)
Date: 04 January, 2019 16:35

No conspiracies, just inconsistencies (Sm159)

Posted by: Redditch Crowd (IP Logged)
Date: 04 January, 2019 17:14

Never see any digs at Sir on here when we win... only when we lose... You can't have it both ways... it's either a conspiracy against Worcester and clear bias towards others (nonsense) OR it's the rub of the green, whereby supporters remember the calls 'against' far more clearly than the calls 'for' (natural human reaction)...when you are behind and/or chasing a game you tend to get pinged a bit more often.. frustration sets in. so you push harder etc - self-fulfilling prophesy - the only justified argument is that lines (wo)men are not vocal enough/listened to and are glorified line out/behind the posts flag wavers... which would be a fair criticism of how the matches are marshalled...

Posted by: NW2 (IP Logged)
Date: 04 January, 2019 18:38

I don't really subscribe to conspiracy theories, but then again I don't really believe in coincidence either.
I do however remember a few seasons back, during the Dean Ryan era, when we had three, possibly four, official apologies from the refereeing body for errors made in matches.
Conspiracy? Coincidence? You decide, but I would guess that hasn't happened to too many other clubs, if any.
I do believe in "Man U syndrome", and certainly feel that on occasion it manifests itself in rugby.

Posted by: Fiver (IP Logged)
Date: 04 January, 2019 18:48

Given how often we win we'd probably remember dodgy calls going our way. I don't think we whinge about the marginal stuff. Ben Young's bouncing the ball off a prop's leg after an early shove, and then shovelling it back in only for us to concede a penalty try sticks in the mind. As does the blatent deliberate knock on by Batty for Bath. These were dreadful decisions that lost us games. I don't think we've ever won like that (ignoring the pull back against Bedford of course).

Date: 04 January, 2019 18:58

Quote:
Redditch Crowd
Never see any digs at Sir on here when we win... only when we lose... You can't have it both ways... i.

Hang on, we havenít played the bloody game yet!

With the benefit of spare time, a BT Sport sub, and the Premiership Rugby TV website, I manage to watch virtually all premiership games most weeks, and I firmly believe that JP is the most inconsistent of the senior refs.

Clearly heís judged as good enough by the authorities, as far as we know. Doesnít mean I have to have a positive opinion of him, but your inference that I (and others) feel heís unreliable because he rules against Worcester is wrong.

Youíll disagree, and I can live with that.

Posted by: centrethere (IP Logged)
Date: 04 January, 2019 19:50

Quite happy that JP Doyle isn't refereeing - He's too pedantic and it can become the JP Doyle show.

(Still trying to work out how stepping over a tackler with no arms from last week when he reffed was a particularly useful intervention - hope the Monday refs meeting discussed it, and told him to not try to set precedence on the rugby book of laws. (Sm102)

Posted by: samlee99 (IP Logged)
Date: 05 January, 2019 11:59

Quote:
centrethere
Quite happy that JP Doyle isn't refereeing - He's too pedantic and it can become the JP Doyle show.
(Still trying to work out how stepping over a tackler with no arms from last week when he reffed was a particularly useful intervention - hope the Monday refs meeting discussed it, and told him to not try to set precedence on the rugby book of laws. (Sm102)

Totally agree. JP seems to have declined in the last year or so. Last week was frankly embarrassing for both him and lesser so for the TMO.

Posted by: Hallowed Warrior (IP Logged)
Date: 05 January, 2019 12:44

Tempest could still pull up lame in the warm up........itís a cold day

Posted by: Warrior7 (IP Logged)
Date: 05 January, 2019 15:24

I'd rather JP was reffing, Tempest has been dreadful so far and so has the TMO - might as well not bother etching prem rugby if that's a yellow card, absolutely awful decision.

Posted by: Simba (IP Logged)
Date: 05 January, 2019 15:54

Correct decision. No arms used.

Date: 05 January, 2019 18:21

Well, I started this thread with some negative comments about Doyler, and some thought I was being unfair.

If you want to read unfair comments about Sir try todayís match thread on the Bath forum.

To be fair, there are one or two on there mystified as to how we werenít awarded a penalty try at the end, but also one or two who thought the red card was outrageous.

Makes our discussion here look very dignified.

Date: 05 January, 2019 18:46

the neck role looked pretty dangerous

To our advantage, and wise planning I think, the big screen is beside the south stand and when it's pretty obvious and the ref is procrastinating, the south stand crowd become more vocal to help the ref decide - as we did today with this dangerous clearout.

18 scrums apparently (I wasn't counting), but think Ian Tempest played it very well. Bath knew they were infringing and were penalized accordingly.

We were really on top by 80 minutes and we stayed dominant and patient, and with good reffing, we won as a result.

Bath can say what they want, but they knew they were in a desperate position, and broke the rules and paid for it.

I think Ian Tempest will get plaudits for just sticking to his guns and giving yellow cards, when no obvious try was there.

(And Doyley, in his defence when supporting Tempest was either quiet or very measured - suggesting he was told to reign it in after last week and got an assistant role to cool off a bit)

Date: 05 January, 2019 19:14

I personally thought Tempest was pretty awful today. There comes a point where it is so obvious a team is using illegal measures to stop a try, that is why the penalty try came into being. The number of Bath infringements at the end was an embarrassment, I feel we got him out of jail today by scoring the try and converting it.

Regarding the Fatialofa yellow, I agree it was correct, but you'll see the same method of clearout 20 times in most games, all unpunished. Let's have some consistency. In all honesty, Fatialofa needs to fire up that brain of his as he got a yellow for the same offence against Pau.

The Bath red was the easiest decision in the world, neck roll with force, flipping the player's legs into the air and ramming his head into the turf. I know I can be one-eyed at times, but if any Bath fan thinks it was harsh them I can suggest plenty of brands of eye drop.

Date: 05 January, 2019 19:30

What could of happened, which is what I was expecting at one point over the 80 was uncontested scrums due to front row player given a yellow, which in the circumstances wouldn't have been fair. What do the laws say about that? Then it should be a penalty try no?

Date: 05 January, 2019 19:36

What I don't like about the laws is that they leave too much to interpretation. I'd like to see certain stuff nailed down, for instance 'n' infringements in the red zone = yellow card.

Last week Alex Waller got a yellow card for the third dropped scrum after his "final" warning. It's just a joke at the moment.

Current Page: 1 of 3
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net