Batty hearing at 18:30 8/1/19
Posted by: Powick Eastander (IP Logged)
Date: 08 January, 2019 12:50

Re: Batty hearing at 18:30 8/1/19
Posted by: Sheldon (IP Logged)
Date: 08 January, 2019 17:38

A tricky one this. I don't think there was any malice or serious intent but it did look awful and he did land on his head. The panel may take a harsher view but my guess is two weeks like Chris P got.

Posted by: Fiver (IP Logged)
Date: 08 January, 2019 19:32

So far every pundit has said it's a straight red, not a single one has found any mitigation that I've heard.

As such, only previous good record and a sincere apology will help him get the lowest sanction I'd guess. Probably middle otherwise.

Posted by: tricky-page (IP Logged)
Date: 08 January, 2019 21:12

3 week ban ref bbc.

Posted by: Brummagem Bertie (IP Logged)
Date: 08 January, 2019 21:18

I'm guessing mid-range entry point of 6 weeks, with 3 weeks credit for guilty plea, remorse, previous good record, conduct at hearing, blah, blah.

Whatever you do, do it safely!

Posted by: KenDoddsDadsDogsDead (IP Logged)
Date: 09 January, 2019 08:39

Quote:
Brummagem Bertie
I'm guessing mid-range entry point of 6 weeks, with 3 weeks credit for guilty plea, remorse, previous good record, conduct at hearing, blah, blah.

Good guess.

Three weeks - seems fair

Posted by: Sutton Warrior (IP Logged)
Date: 10 January, 2019 12:42

I am not sure I can agree with that as a fair result. What he did was not an accident or a misjudgement in terms of jumping for the ball and clattering someone in the process. Ht came from a relatively static position where he wanted to move the player ( which is fine), he could have done it legally ( but did not); the neck roll of itself is a penalty; continuing with the move which pulled the player over him and dropped him vertically ( albeit form no great height) is unarguably deliberate ( they were completely detached from the ruck/maul at this point).He should get sentenced for the offence her committed - saying sorry for damaging someone or doing something wrong should not reduce or avoid the punishment even if it shortens the process and saves everyone time in so doing.Just because you have not been a vicious idiot or clumsy before should not mean you get off with a lighter sentence - in the same way that you should not be more harshly treated for your past misdemeanours.

Date: 10 January, 2019 12:51

I understand your points SW, but mitigation and reduction of sanction are written into the RFU's disciplinary procedures and are common. Taking previous record or absence thereof into account when deciding sanction are also a common feature of disciplinary procedures and recognised in both civil and criminal law.

What you're asking for just isn't going to happen.

Posted by: Whispering_Death (IP Logged)
Date: 10 January, 2019 15:18

Which is exactly why players will continue to do it. Two or three week bans mean nothing to players, unless it means missing a semi or final.

Date: 10 January, 2019 16:25

Currently there is no guarantee you'll get a card for a neck roll. Until every neck roll is a card, it'll continue. Mind you, contact to the head is a red card and it keeps happening. Perhaps it needs time for players to get it into their subconscious. Or perhaps keep giving larger bans until all players likely to commit these offences are sat on the sidelines as they're all banned.

Date: 10 January, 2019 17:44

Quote:
Fiver
Currently there is no guarantee you'll get a card for a neck roll. Until every neck roll is a card, it'll continue.

I'll settle for every neck roll being penalised, as a start. Tempest missed the Batty one completely and had to be called back by the TMO.

Posted by: JimJam350 (IP Logged)
Date: 11 January, 2019 12:23

Quote:
Brummagem Bertie
Quote:
Fiver
Currently there is no guarantee you'll get a card for a neck roll. Until every neck roll is a card, it'll continue.

I'll settle for every neck roll being penalised, as a start. Tempest missed the Batty one completely and had to be called back by the TMO.

Even the very best referees miss things. They can't be expected to see everything. That's what we have TMOs for.

Posted by: BathMatt53 (IP Logged)
Date: 11 January, 2019 12:50

Meanwhile the illegal hit on Ellis by Fatialofa has put him out for 8 weeks. I have no issue with the Batty red, which was reckless, but I think that Fatialofa is lucky to get away with nothing for that one.

[Adoptee 18/19: Man Mountain Dave Attwood, back in the BB&W and ready to smash]

Date: 11 January, 2019 12:55

Quote:
JimJam350
Quote:
Brummagem Bertie
Quote:
Fiver

Even the very best referees miss things. They can't be expected to see everything. That's what we have TMOs for.

I accept that the very best referees miss things but Tempest also missed the Fatiolofa challenge, even though it took place about 3 feet in front of him and he had a clear and unobstructed view.

Date: 11 January, 2019 13:44

Quote:
BathMatt53
Meanwhile the illegal hit on Ellis by Fatialofa has put him out for 8 weeks. I have no issue with the Batty red, which was reckless, but I think that Fatialofa is lucky to get away with nothing for that one.

Absolutely right. Most of us on this board hate the modern clearout method, Fatialofa was just a little more obvious with his no arms challenge. This type of thing happens many times in every game, it's a wonder more players aren't injured. Just watch players like George Kruis, although I probably could have picked on any big lock.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net