Current Page: 1 of 4
Mindset
Posted by: knightstemplar (IP Logged)
Date: 10 March, 2019 09:56

I'm starting to wonder if this is a big factor in our relegation woes?

We can play Exeter (although 5 or 6 Internationals were missing) and compete and argueably at the end either team could have won.

The week before we played Falcons who we could/should beat (no disrespect to Newcastle) but we didnt turn up and played like a mid table championship side. AS says he's happy generally with the squad so there can't be much excuse with who is available on the pitch?

Over the last few seasons we have beaten some top sides both away and at home usually to get us out the mire.

I wouldn't suggest the effort isn't there but the mindset on commitment and execution are on the opposite ends of the scale in a two week period.

It's as if we don't perform and then the following week beat ourselves up and pull a better performance out the bag.

If you watch Exeter and Sarries they mentally turn up pretty much every game.

I think this is more of a frustrating aspect rather than the losses in relegation battles?

I cant work out why we aren't there mentally its a tough league and many games are won on small margins but one thing that is visible is who wants it more and puts the commitment in on that 110% level usually wins.( I understand its not that simple with other factors) The example being Wales v England. Wales commitment in the second half won the game.

Why can't we perform consistently with this mindset? We didn't at Newcastle!

Re: Mindset
Posted by: Patgadd (IP Logged)
Date: 10 March, 2019 10:21

That's a fair enough post, knightstemplar, and raises the following question:

Next season, we will have substantially the same squad - excluding Heem and Adams, but with excellent replacements from abroad and from the academy - and the same coaching staff. Why would we expect our performance to be any different?

Posted by: Garym (IP Logged)
Date: 10 March, 2019 10:44

Quote:
Patgadd
Next season, we will have substantially the same squad - excluding Heem and Adams, but with excellent replacements from abroad and from the academy - and the same coaching staff. Why would we expect our performance to be any different?

Because the coaching team would have gone through 12 months of being in a league that has relegation in it and they should better understand what is needed. Going back to the NFL post on one of the other threads, continuity and a team that reflects their own beliefs should help, which league we will be in - who knows. At half time yesterday, I thought we were in the championship next season and at full time, I now have the awful thing called hope!

Posted by: centrethere (IP Logged)
Date: 10 March, 2019 10:52

Confidence to play your game when you have the players, coaching and learn to consistently win. Getting beaten and preparing / delivering a following performance to win takes far more out of you I would say. Hence the yoyo. We are not the only team that struggles with this and only a few maintain a consistent level.

Date: 10 March, 2019 11:02

Quote:
Garym
Quote:
Patgadd

Because the coaching team would have gone through 12 months of being in a league that has relegation in it and they should better understand what is needed. Going back to the NFL post on one of the other threads, continuity and a team that reflects their own beliefs should help, which league we will be in - who knows. At half time yesterday, I thought we were in the championship next season and at full time, I now have the awful thing called hope!

... and that's a fair enough response, but would you bet against our being in the bottom 3 at the end of next season, assuming survival this season?

Posted by: Garym (IP Logged)
Date: 10 March, 2019 11:28

Quote:
Patgadd
Quote:
Garym
Quote:
Patgadd
.....Why would we expect our performance to be any different?

... and that's a fair enough response, but would you bet against our being in the bottom 3 at the end of next season, assuming survival this season?

Absolutely not - everybody else would seem to be improving their squads with the possible exception of Falcons

Posted by: Faithful_City (IP Logged)
Date: 10 March, 2019 14:28

Don't forget we will have

Ashley Beck back
Jonno Lance will be fit.
Hill a season more experienced
Lawrence a year more experienced
Kitchener joins us
Fatialofa will be rested and have a pre-season
Connor will have joined us
Du Preez could be back

Posted by: Warrior7 (IP Logged)
Date: 10 March, 2019 14:40

Not to mention Nanai has fantastic hands as evidenced by this weekend. 3 try assists including a couple of lovely flick ons and a wide pass over the top.

Posted by: Drahm for England (IP Logged)
Date: 10 March, 2019 14:41

We'll have a top quality side for the Championship! (Sm159)

Posted by: WorcesterSauce (IP Logged)
Date: 10 March, 2019 16:22

Quote:
Faithful_City
Don't forget we will have
Ashley Beck back
Jonno Lance will be fit.
Hill a season more experienced
Lawrence a year more experienced
Kitchener joins us
Fatialofa will be rested and have a pre-season
Connor will have joined us
Du Preez could be back

An extremely unbalanced post because (if reports are to believed) we will have....

Lost Teo
Lost Adams
Lost Heem
Lost Milasinovich
Lost Arr
Lost Annett
Lost Singleton

Posted by: Whispering_Death (IP Logged)
Date: 10 March, 2019 16:49

Teo a loss....youre avin a giraffe! Weve brought in god knows how many players and coaches over the years and weve never managed to get our mentality right game on game. I dont see why next season will be any different irrespective of who we recruit.

Posted by: Faithful_City (IP Logged)
Date: 10 March, 2019 16:50

Why unbalanced, it is only saying not to forget who we will have.

No mention of who we are losing.

JP

Posted by: Terrywb (IP Logged)
Date: 10 March, 2019 19:35

I have said this before and was told that Warriors would already have one, but Im 100% convinced that we need a good sports psychologist. If we do have one they should have been sacked after the Falcons game.

Im not a big believer in home advantage, what can be different? Get the head right and the results will follow, clearly that has never been more evident than this season with the points covering most teams in the premiership being so close.

COYW - get your heads right and we can fly... great result against Chiefs

Posted by: Fiver (IP Logged)
Date: 10 March, 2019 20:31

I can't understand the mindset of the players either. I remember going to Sandy Park a couple of years ago when we got thrashed. As the players walked onto the pitch we all knew the result. I've never seen anything like it in the body language. They then played in the same manner.

Something is occasionally not right. There must be someone on the inside who is clever enough to know what it is.

Date: 10 March, 2019 22:39

Quote:
Terrywb
Im not a big believer in home advantage, what can be different?

Every player who has ever spoken on the subject has gone on about the importance of home support, but they would, wouldn't they? Yes, it must be very helpful when there's a huge crowd egging you on, but we don't get huge crowds. I'm not saying it isn't an advantage, but it's perhaps not quite so important as is made out when there are smaller crowds.

Posted by: knightstemplar (IP Logged)
Date: 11 March, 2019 07:08

Quote:
Whispering_Death
Weve brought in god knows how many players and coaches over the years and weve never managed to get our mentality right game on game. I dont see why next season will be any different irrespective of who we recruit.

I think from the outside this is how it looks visibly, well for me anyway. It takes everything mentally to win a Premiership game particularly this season.

I imagine it looks very different from the inside! There is something missing week in week out.

Posted by: ROLLO (IP Logged)
Date: 11 March, 2019 11:31

An ex players of recent vintage said that he knew that we would lose at Falcons, there is something in the DNA.

Posted by: Humps for 1 Mile (IP Logged)
Date: 11 March, 2019 11:55

Is there a Sports Psychologist employed at Sixways???

Posted by: Offa (IP Logged)
Date: 11 March, 2019 12:15

This is where we miss DOC.
I am not suggesting that we were flying when he was here, but I think he added to our collective top two inches.

Posted by: Brummagem Bertie (IP Logged)
Date: 11 March, 2019 12:18

Quote:
Humps for 1 Mile
Is there a Sports Psychologist employed at Sixways???

Having had a quick look at the staff list on the website it would appear not, unless the website isn't up to date.

Whatever you do, do it safely!

Current Page: 1 of 4
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net