Troubles at Oirish
Posted by: Teme Dream (IP Logged)
Date: 11 June, 2019 17:37

After the injury Sean O'Brien and the withdrawal of Cash Converters' sponsorship another major name has threatened to pull the plug.

Beeb link



Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/06/2019 17:57 by Teme Dream.

Re: Troubles at Oirish
Posted by: TVM Rides Again (IP Logged)
Date: 12 June, 2019 08:35

Whilst Paddy Jackson isn't a hire I would have made personally (I know many will disagree with that point of view), I hope they find a way out of their troubles, they were just getting back on their feet properly with the move back to London.

Re: Troubles at Oirish
Posted by: MSR-Worcester (IP Logged)
Date: 12 June, 2019 15:39

Sean O'Brien also rumoured to be the Leinster playing caught p**ing on a member of the public after their Pro14 win!

Re: Troubles at Oirish
Posted by: Fiver (IP Logged)
Date: 13 June, 2019 09:13

I've no real opinion either way, but should the sport welcome someone's apology and let them get their career back on track?

I guess it depends where the line is drawn, and we'll all place that slightly differently.

95% might not be bothered, but if the other 5% make enough noise then the bandwagon effect takes over.

Re: Troubles at Oirish
Posted by: Drahm for England (IP Logged)
Date: 13 June, 2019 09:26

Time is a great healer. Perhaps not enough has yet passed?

Re: Troubles at Oirish
Posted by: dkexile (IP Logged)
Date: 13 June, 2019 13:16

Quote:
Fiver
I've no real opinion either way, but should the sport welcome someone's apology and let them get their career back on track?
I guess it depends where the line is drawn, and we'll all place that slightly differently.

95% might not be bothered, but if the other 5% make enough noise then the bandwagon effect takes over.

Not commenting on this case, but it depends on what they have done, professional athletes should be role models and certain crimes should be the end of their careers for me.

In other cases, such as this one, I think it is down to the individual club and how they want their ethos to be.
Personally there are certain players I wouldn't want playing for Worcester, some things are more important.

Re: Troubles at Oirish
Posted by: Faithful_City (IP Logged)
Date: 13 June, 2019 19:50

Guinness have cut links with Irish along with Cash Converters.

[www.rugbypass.com]

Re: Troubles at Oirish
Posted by: TeflonTed (IP Logged)
Date: 13 June, 2019 20:18

Confirmed at belfastlive.co.uk

[www.belfastlive.co.uk]

Quote:-

Their statement to the Irish Times read: "We have met with the club to express our concerns. Their recent decision is not consistent with our values and so we have ended our sponsorship."

Diageo is the second sponsor to drop the team. Cash Converters pulled out in recent weeks for the same reason.

Re: Troubles at Oirish
Posted by: Heaf (IP Logged)
Date: 14 June, 2019 00:05

Cash Converters pulled out before any signings actually ...

Re: Troubles at Oirish
Posted by: TeflonTed (IP Logged)
Date: 14 June, 2019 11:10

Quote:
Heaf
Cash Converters pulled out before any signings actually ...

Mis-reporting by belfastlive.co.uk then.

Take it up with them, it was a direct quote.

Re: Troubles at Oirish
Posted by: TeflonTed (IP Logged)
Date: 14 June, 2019 11:20

Heaf, further to your comment re. timing of CC withdrawal, if not Jackson then what is the reason for the termination of the 3 year deal announced in Sept 18?

It seemed important at the time. [www.insidermedia.com]

Brian Facer is quoted as saying:-
A partnership like this is important for us as we build London Irish to be a club for the future. The financial investment coming from Cash Converters will be vital to help us achieve our ambitions of an immediate return to the Premiership and then securing our place in the top flight."

Re: Troubles at Oirish
Posted by: Patgadd (IP Logged)
Date: 15 June, 2019 11:29

London Irish: The decision to part ways with Cash Converters was unrelated to the signing of fly-half Jackson.

Cash Converters: As a company, we are committed to the highest possible standards when it comes to our investments in any sponsorships and collaborations. As a result of a detailed and thorough review of our support for London Irish, we have decided to discontinue our association with the club.

You pays your money (or not any longer, it would seem) and you takes your choice.

Re: Troubles at Oirish
Posted by: Brummagem Bertie (IP Logged)
Date: 15 June, 2019 11:33

If Heaf and London Irish are telling the truth, given the quotes unearthed by Ted and Pat, you have to ask what other dodgy dealings have Irish been up to cause a chain of pawn shops to decide that Irish no longer come up to their standards. (Sm8)



Whatever you do, do it safely!

Re: Troubles at Oirish
Posted by: Heaf (IP Logged)
Date: 15 June, 2019 17:11

I'm just going by the LI statement but it seems telling to me that they've said directly it had nothing to do with PJ whereas the CC statement doesn't mention him and if LI were lying surely CC would call them out?

Call me cynical but maybe CC decided having already parted ways for whatever commercial reasons before the signing of PJ they could get free publicity by exploiting the situation now and implying their decision was related to PJ ... not that I don't trust a company whose whole business model is predicated on exploiting the vulnerable.

Re: Troubles at Oirish
Posted by: TeflonTed (IP Logged)
Date: 15 June, 2019 18:40

Heaf, Im sure we understand it isnt straightforward. The bottom line is that a 3 year sponsorship deal set up around 9 months ago has been pulled, and subsequently your long standing major sponsor has also pulled out. Its not good news, and personally I sympathise!

Were suffering a great deal of uncertainty and not a little paranoia here as well. We seem to be owned by a couple of blokes who dont have the required resources personally, and were not sure whos funding who.

Hey Ho, only another few months and we can get back to moaning/boasting whichever, about our performances on the field of play.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net