Home or away ?
Posted by: woodywuss (IP Logged)
Date: 08 July, 2019 17:38

Fixtures Wednesday? Taking a punt on London Irish down at the Madjeski. At least the positive would be we get it out of the way.

Re: Home or away ?
Posted by: WorcesterSauce (IP Logged)
Date: 08 July, 2019 23:55

Always think that the last team you want on opening day is the newly promoted side away. Best case scenario is Sarries IMO whilst their internationals are all at the world cup.

Posted by: TeflonTed (IP Logged)
Date: 09 July, 2019 08:59

Always prefer a home start.

But my guess would be that the pull of a LDH may well see Oirish at “ home” (Twickers) with either Sarries or Quins as the other “home” side.

The away sides being plucked from the bottom of the table, ie Wuss and Tigers.

What, me, cynical?

Posted by: Garym (IP Logged)
Date: 09 July, 2019 09:07

Quote:
TeflonTed
But my guess would be that the pull of a LDH may well see Oirish at “ home” (Twickers) with either Sarries or Quins as the other “home” side.

What, me, cynical?

It won't be Quins as the home side as they will not give up a home game, unless it suits them e.g. The Big Bash at Christmas. Strange how they always get a home game then and we haven't had one for years - so that makes you cynical, me cynical

Posted by: A38 (IP Logged)
Date: 09 July, 2019 09:07

Quote:
TeflonTed

What, me, cynical?

No, just being realistic.

Posted by: Brummagem Bertie (IP Logged)
Date: 09 July, 2019 09:17

Quote:
TeflonTed

What, me, cynical?

They ought to make Wasps play in the Double Header! Every year!!

Whatever you do, do it safely!

Posted by: plzd (IP Logged)
Date: 09 July, 2019 13:18

Quote:
Garym
Quote:
TeflonTed

What, me, cynical?

It won't be Quins as the home side as they will not give up a home game, unless it suits them e.g. The Big Bash at Christmas. Strange how they always get a home game then and we haven't had one for years - so that makes you cynical, me cynical

Quins said they are not interested in the DH unless they are the away side. They said that few years ago I think.

Quins were not in the DH last season as they had advised the powers that be that they were not interested in being involved.

And I doubt that they will be this season, it has had an overwhelming raspberry from the fans hence the stance they have taken.

Posted by: FlipFlop (IP Logged)
Date: 09 July, 2019 18:42

Need a Mids DH- Wasps v Wuss and Saints v Tigs all at Villa Park
LDH- Irish v Sarries, Quins v Sales
SW DH- Chiefs v Glaws, Bath v Briz

Just for novelty value, play the all on Saturday too..

Hunch, we’ll get Bath away.

Date: 09 July, 2019 19:01

FF, FFS....

Do you REALLY want to go to Villa Park??

I’d be asking for a ST refund if it was classified as a home game.

Date: 09 July, 2019 20:09

Quote:
FlipFlop
Need a Mids DH- Wasps v Wuss and Saints v Tigs all at Villa Park
LDH- Irish v Sarries, Quins v Sales
SW DH- Chiefs v Glaws, Bath v Briz

Just for novelty value, play the all on Saturday too..

Hunch, we’ll get Bath away.

Villa Park no big enough. Leicester and Northampton could fill it on their own if marketed well.

Date: 09 July, 2019 20:09

Even I don't want to go to Villa Park, and I only live a couple of miles up the road!

Date: 09 July, 2019 20:16

Wow- zero to wound up in a blink Ted!

We both know there’s more chance of Warriors winning the Champions Cup than a Midland DH of any sort, let alone Villa Park.

Just showing it could be easy-ish to do, and dilute the London centricity that RFU continues to promote about the Prem.

Date: 09 July, 2019 20:29

As demonstrated - it wouldn’t be at all easy to do as no ground is big enough... Villa Park holds just over 42,000. The london Double header regularly pulls in over 60k, and has never pulled in less than 42,000 and thats with 4 clubs who are less well supported (collectively) than the four west mids clubs significantly.

Date: 09 July, 2019 22:32

WS, yes, let’s believe that the Midlands sides are too big for such a fixture, given that Wasps v Warriors is never a sell out, and Saints v Tigers was 20k max at Welford Road.

Don’t give a duck if HQ is rammed or not, those small attended clubs ( your view) always seem to fill the place at LDH because locals who want a spectacle, are happy to go and watch. Never know, Midland folk might be similar, but we can’t hold a MDH st Old Trafgord can we ?

Date: 09 July, 2019 23:55

Quote:
FlipFlop
WS, yes, let’s believe that the Midlands sides are too big for such a fixture, given that Wasps v Warriors is never a sell out, and Saints v Tigers was 20k max at Welford Road.
Don’t give a duck if HQ is rammed or not, those small attended clubs ( your view) always seem to fill the place at LDH because locals who want a spectacle, are happy to go and watch. Never know, Midland folk might be similar, but we can’t hold a MDH st Old Trafgord can we ?

Last season Tigers vs Saints at Welford Road was over 23,000 during Leicester’s worst season for decades. The season before it was virtually 26k, the season before it was virtually 25k, the season before virtually 26k, the season before 24k. I could go on but you get the jist - the fixture hasn’t been anywhere near dropping beneath 20,000 for years.

Are Wasps, Leicester and Northampton better supported than Saracens, Quins and Irish? Yes. That’s not just my view, that’s fact. Would a 42,000 stadium be big enough for clubs that average 21,000, 16,200, 15,500 and 8,300? Looking at what the poorer supported clubs at the LDH pulls in, not in my opinion. I guess if it could be accepted that only season ticket holders were guaranteed a seat then it would probably just about be ok.

Date: 10 July, 2019 00:08

Not wound up, just have been to Witton often enough, my grandparents lived in Stockland Green (Bertie will know) and I suspect many of the writers on here will never have even been close to Witton and haven’t a clue what it’s like.

@#$%& hole is too polite.

And before anyone starts, this is absolutely nothing to do with anti-soccer prejudice, it’s just a pretty good knowledge of inner Brum areas after 37 years in and around Hockley.

Date: 10 July, 2019 00:17

I never really thought of Stockland Green as posh, but compared to Witton, you may have a point, Ted. (Sm147)

Posted by: TVM Rides Again (IP Logged)
Date: 10 July, 2019 09:25

Quote:
TeflonTed
Not wound up, just have been to Witton often enough, my grandparents lived in Stockland Green (Bertie will know) and I suspect many of the writers on here will never have even been close to Witton and haven’t a clue what it’s like.
@#$%& hole is too polite.

And before anyone starts, this is absolutely nothing to do with anti-soccer prejudice, it’s just a pretty good knowledge of inner Brum areas after 37 years in and around Hockley.

In fairness to Ted, it isn't great there. I could withstand going, but maybe 8 years of working around secondary property in north brum has given me something of a high pain threshold smiling smiley

Date: 10 July, 2019 10:51

Wheres the surrounding area is undoubtably a complete dump, the ground itself is a brilliant old school football ground.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net