Champions Cup Playoffs
Posted by: binman (IP Logged)
Date: 19 April, 2017 14:33

So I've been taking a look at the rules and seeding for the CC playoffs and unless I'm mistaken we could do with dropping a couple points and finishing 8th Instead of 7th?

If we finish 7th in the pro12 we travel to play the 7th ranked french team in the semis, I'd rather not play a decent french team away as they are notoriously better on their home soil. Plus, if we made it to the final we would also be away in that to either Connaught or the 7th ranked English side so no home fixture for us at CAP at all.

If we finish 8th we travel to the 7th ranked English side in the semis which I don't think will be any harder than a good french team away but if we made it through that we then get to bring the other finallist back to CAP on our pitch for the final. We have a good home record against Connaught and the french teams do not travel well making for a more favourable final not to mention the increased revenue of what would likely be a sellout.

Am I missing something here or dues slipping a place in the table actually favour us?

Re: Champions Cup Playoffs
Posted by: Ben Blair's Right Peg (IP Logged)
Date: 19 April, 2017 19:15

I've read the regulations and I agree, however we have a very easy last two and Connacht have a very hard last two so we will unlikely come 8th.

To be honest, those playoff regulations are a farce. Without the pointless Italy rule we would qualify this year and last year

Re: Champions Cup Playoffs
Posted by: binman (IP Logged)
Date: 19 April, 2017 20:22

Couldn't agree more, if you were a fan of Zebre or Treviso I can't imagine it's much fun qualifying for the champions cup either, just watching your team get smashed and knowing there is no way in hell you could progress in the competition before it's even started, at least they don't get embarrassed in the challenge cup so much.

Furthermore, it frustrates the hell out of me that even if we got 6th this year we still wouldn't get champions cup as we'd leapfrog Glasgow who would retain qualification as the top ranked Scottish side.

Regarding the home final, apparently it rotates between the French and English leagues each year, so next season the winner of the pro12 7th and top 14 7th gets home field advantage for the final. It doesn't rotate to the pro12 sides as we get 2 teams in whereas the other only get one.

We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net