WRU takeover
Posted by: capsgon (IP Logged)
Date: 12 May, 2017 10:46

Surprised there is no thread regarding this on this board.
This board is dieing a death

Re: WRU takeover
Posted by: BluesMikel (IP Logged)
Date: 12 May, 2017 15:39

I feel there's not much to discuss due to the lack of info on it available really. Twitter is full of people grumbling about their opinion of what ifs but no concrete info that we can really look at

Posted by: southcoast5 (IP Logged)
Date: 12 May, 2017 21:40

Quote:
BluesMikel
I feel there's not much to discuss due to the lack of info on it available really. Twitter is full of people grumbling about their opinion of what ifs but no concrete info that we can really look at
Agree. Apart from usual 'shock, horror,disgust' on Twitter we have no info beyond what's been in the air for some time. There'll need to be a detailed information memorandum for shareholders (including the CAC) and when that's out we'll know more.
Initial indications though are that this is all positive. Change brings risk and uncertainty but there's loads more risk in staying as we are.

Date: 13 May, 2017 08:43

Struggling to see that "initial indications are that this is all positive" myself

Posted by: southcoast5 (IP Logged)
Date: 13 May, 2017 09:48

Quote:
capsgon
Struggling to see that "initial indications are that this is all positive" myself
Sure there'll be some disruption for a couple of year and that'll hurt but there is now a way forward which offers a stable and potentially prosperous future. At the moment the club is insolvent and kept afloat by Peter Thomas' loans. He's a great club man and has never suggested he'd call in his money but he is in his late 70s and can't go on forever. In the meantime weve been hamstrung by the ownership structure of CAP. What is now tabled offers a way out of all this. Cardiff is one of the biggest club rugby markets in the UK but for all sorts of reasons we've not been able to leverage the opportunity. The devil will be in the detail but what has been described thus far gives us the best opportunity we'll ever have to create a sustainable commercial platform without recourse to sugar daddies - something Saracens, Bath, Stace Francaise and Toulon would envy.
I remember all the negatives being tabled at the time of the development of the National Stadium and the move to CAP in the late 60s. It worked for everyone then and I can see no reason why this shouldn't either.

Posted by: cardiff_steve (IP Logged)
Date: 13 May, 2017 19:30

I also find it very difficult to see this positively.

The devil is obviously in the detail, yes.

But it seems to me that this is what has actually happened:

* Our plan has been to find new investment based around the stadium redevelopment.

* Potential investors have been troubled by having to subsidise the team heavily for a period of time while the redevelopment finally goes ahead.

* The only way the redevelopment can happen is for the pro team to not be part of any sale of Cardiff Blues ltd after the lease is agreed.

* The only people (possibly) willing to take it on are the WRU, who don't particularly want it either but cant have the embarrassment of a pro side going down while they're still contracted to enter 4 teams in pro12.

So, I also find it difficult to see this positively at the moment.

Date: 19 May, 2017 10:14

Worth reading this......

[cf10rugbytrust.org]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 19/05/2017 10:15 by capsgon.

We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net