Anscombe Re-signs
Posted by: theflier (IP Logged)
Date: 12 May, 2017 13:06

Very good news, its no coincidence our attacking play has become incredible since he arrived, though I'm sure there are still the doubters because he wasn't born in wales, just like every other player for the national team. I for one have always seen his quality and I hope he gets an honest chance to prove those who discriminate against him wrong.

Re: Anscombe Re-signs
Posted by: sionlikesmusic (IP Logged)
Date: 12 May, 2017 15:56

Couldn't agree more, a really important player for us to have retained.

Posted by: capsgon (IP Logged)
Date: 12 May, 2017 23:26

Quote:
theflier
I hope he gets an honest chance to prove those who discriminate against him wrong.

Odd choice of words - what do you mean?
And who are "those"?

Date: 15 May, 2017 09:20

Quote:
capsgon
Odd choice of words - what do you mean?
And who are "those"?

I think he's referring to our respected news outlets, like WalesOnline, who always refer to Anscombe as the "Kiwi import" - they never refer to George North, Jonathan Davies, Jake Ball etc. as imports, so you could argue there's something of an agenda in constantly marking Anscombe out instead of trying to just accept that he is, as far as rugby is concerned at least, Welsh.

Posted by: Rayerker (IP Logged)
Date: 15 May, 2017 22:20

Good news.

Mind you I'm interested to know how a dual contract will be possible from July when we become Union run.

Posted by: Rich. (IP Logged)
Date: 18 May, 2017 12:23

On come on, you can't compare Gareth (much as we like him) to Jon Davies and George North:

Jon - born in England to Welsh parents. Moved to Wales from very young age, Welsh speaking etc

George - born in England with a Welsh mum. Moved to Wales when 2. Welsh speaking etc

Their parents won't be the last to move to England for work but luckily they came back and Jon and George are as Welsh as any of us. Don't fall for English-press disinformation over this!

Jake Ball on the other hand is a good comparison.

Date: 18 May, 2017 13:01

Anscombe has a Welsh mum, so does it just mean that you need to be Welsh speaking and have lived in Wales from a young age to shed the "import" tag?

The point I'm making is that it's bullshit to accept some as being Welsh without question and then others as imports. Or at least it is for the media to do so, especially when (and I shudder when I say this) the main Welsh, rugby-centric media outlet does so.

Clearly the definition of nationality is a contentious thing (at least within rugby it is), what doesn't help is taking a divisive attitude when reporting about players that have represented Wales.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 18/05/2017 13:02 by sionlikesmusic.

Posted by: Ahp (IP Logged)
Date: 18 May, 2017 14:04

Personally I'd say that the parentage is irrelevant and it's actually being here for most of their lives that makes them Welsh, but maybe that's just me. Anscombe isn't really much of a Welshman but who cares, all the other nations do it to a greater or lesser extent.

Date: 18 May, 2017 15:22

I agree the import tag is unfair to an extent but it was the comparison to North and Davies that I was wanting to respond to

Posted by: theflier (IP Logged)
Date: 18 May, 2017 16:32

Put it this way, My mother is english, my father from HK and later NZ. I'd happily represent all of those if given the chance, but, yes I'd prefer wales as it was where I was born and bred. Globalization gives people a different view to the one dimensional valleys/west folk.
The rub is anscombe really should've been an all black, unfortunately he was behind cruden at his club and was alerted that he could have played for wales. He could've also played for scotland and ireland if he had lived there long enough and they wouldnt have a problem with it. Unlike the vast majority of our players, he plys his trade in wales, depsite having a resume which could net him a huge pay check, theres no issue with biggar, priestland, hook, williams playing at 10, depsite all of them jumping ship at the first chance.

I have no doubt he'd have preferred to play for Nz growing up, as cuthbert for england, ball for wherever. However it does not mean he's not happy to play for wales. look on twitter/the fail, and the hate that boy gets is horrendous. That makes me ashamed to be welsh, not capping anscombe.

Date: 18 May, 2017 18:54

Agree with most of that but let's be realistic - he came here for a chance to play international rugby and also to make a lot more money than he could playing back home in NZ or even in England or France. Don't blame him at all. If I'd gone to NZ and married a NZ woman I'd have felt it quite right that my son or daughter could play for Wales due to me being their Dad and so, by the same token, I've no problem Gareth playing for us.

Biggar has not jumped any ships mind (unless I've missed some big news) and IMO Priestland got bullied out by those who could only dream of playing as well as he does.

We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net