New players next season
Posted by: Ahp (IP Logged)
Date: 09 July, 2017 16:31

Does anyone know whether there will be any more signings or whether that's it for new players?

Also, does anyone know whether Anton Peikrishvili will still be on the books next year or whether his contract has not been extended

Re: New players next season
Posted by: robin58 (IP Logged)
Date: 09 July, 2017 22:22

no body knows anything even the squad page on the web site is still based on the 2016/17 season

Posted by: cardiff_steve (IP Logged)
Date: 09 July, 2017 22:59

Anton's saying.

I dont think we're signing anybody else.

Posted by: sionlikesmusic (IP Logged)
Date: 11 July, 2017 09:37

I'd like to see another couple of players announced, but realistically I think this is probably going to be it. On the whole, this off-season's recruitment leaves a bit of a bittersweet taste - it's good that we've strengthened the second row and added Jack Roberts to the backline, but overall none of our signings are ones to set anyone's world on fire (no disrespect to the players signed).

My hope is that they prove me wrong and actually turn out to be great value signings. I think Damian Welch could be a revelation for us, and I'm sure the same could be said for van der Merw, it's just their age that worries me a bit.

That said I know that we're still in a building phase under DW and that becoming successful isn't something that will change overnight. Yet again, I'm quietly optimistic about the upcoming season.

Btw has anyone heard anything about Graham Steadman leaving?

Posted by: theflier (IP Logged)
Date: 11 July, 2017 10:49

There's positivley underneath the underwhelming signings, the two second rows are second rows, opposed to tall BR so our pack must be stronger. Davies showed up well on tour so if they last until he's good thats fine. Realistically I don't think our backline needed any altering with a SR winning 10,12,13 and the tries we scored. Steadman has gone, defence was @#$%& anyway and asseratti came out well at the u20s as well as lewis being fit. With geth back, on paper at least we have a better team than last year.

Date: 11 July, 2017 10:57

I am hoping that Seb and Dillon got a lot out of the PI tour and really come through as players next season. They will almost feel like new signings if that happens.

I agree that the signings are a little underwhelming but then Im not sure really who I was realistically hoping for. Tom Francis and Leigh Halfpenny I suppose

Posted by: southcoast5 (IP Logged)
Date: 11 July, 2017 12:06

Yes I think we'll be stronger. Davies and Lewis must come through though. The modern development environment is delivering tight forwards to the top game a lot earlier than in the past. They're now internationals and must view themselves as such. I know they're young but they should be disappointed with themselves if they aren't established as our first choice picks by the end of the season.

Posted by: ExiledBlue (IP Logged)
Date: 11 July, 2017 15:35

I Ann also a bit deflated with signings but maybe that's our own expectations because on paper our strongest 23 next season actually looks incredibly strong with competition in every position. I think Danny has done a great job but this season we have to kick on.

1. Jenkins
2. Dacey
3. Lewis
4. F. vdM*
5. S. Davies
6. Warburton
7. Jenkins
8. Williams*

9. L. Williams
10. Anscombe
11. James
12. Halaholo*
13. Lee-Le*
14. Cuthbert
15. R. Williams

16. Myhill
17. Gill
18. Anton*
19. Welch
20. Navidi
21. T. Williams
22. Shingler
23. Roberts/Scully*

Would be my strongest 23 & I reckon we are beukkding a squad with great balance between youth & experience. I would have liked another back 3 (maybe still Halfpenny) & to have forked out the cash on a top international TH & let Anton on his way. As a prop I dream that we'll one day sign someone like Tamenifuna or Oosthuizen.
I am cautiously optimistic for next season though

Date: 11 July, 2017 19:57

Thats a good squad ExiledBlue. The fact there's no room in the 23 for players as good as Fish and Turnbull suggests were actually building some depth!

Posted by: Anfarwol (IP Logged)
Date: 11 July, 2017 21:33

Agree, on paper looks a strong first XV. Resigned to no marquee signings given PT's need to focus efforts and resources on CAP redevelopment, which is what ultimately will deliver the kind of revenue we need to bolster the squad a la Wasps. Part of me though wonders if we should start a crowd funding thing to bring Reid or Kaino over... NW is great when fit but we're not getting great value for money and you can tell physically he's coming to the end. I just think an awesome No.8 for us would be the cherry on the cake - think our locks and THs are ok, just need DW to do some judicious squad rotation to ensure right blend in each side we put out and our cracking set of youngsters build their experience.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/07/2017 21:34 by Anfarwol.

Posted by: BoosBoos (IP Logged)
Date: 17 July, 2017 16:52

expect 3/4 bad year on the new player front, we can't afford a team and a new stadium, but can't afford a team without a new stadium

We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net