Current Page: 1 of 2
Radio Cornwall today 13/02/18
Posted by: Porthusek Pirate (IP Logged)
Date: 13 February, 2018 13:17

Lawrence REED discussing Hall for Cornwall and S4C, regarding the allocation of public funds for both, on his show today amongst other things.

I have only just logged on but might be worth listening to for public opinion if they get any callers.

Re: Radio Cornwall today 13/02/18
Posted by: 1spy (IP Logged)
Date: 13 February, 2018 14:04

Also announced that Hall for Cornwall has all the 20 million in place for its refurbishment.The Local Enterprise Board funded 2 million pounds of taxpayers money. Cornwall Council have also given a substantial sum of funding.

Posted by: Pirate15 (IP Logged)
Date: 13 February, 2018 15:52

3M out of the capital investment budget has been awarded to the Hall for Cornwall refurbishment. There have been numerous projects over the years supported by grants from the Council capital investment budget so what is wrong with the S4C asking for their support? This is not money that can be used for hospitals, social care or education. Take a look on the club website or this forum and read the S4C updates. There is a frequently asked questions document that answers a lot of what is often raised on radio Cornwall regarding location, traffic congestion, multi-use facilities and running costs . The Pirates are going to underwrite the stadium management plan to the tune of 300k for 10 years. How many other projects have had that built in guarantee ?
It is up to us supporters of the S4C to get this information out into the public domain. We to need to challenge the misleading comments and win the public vote.

Date: 13 February, 2018 16:29

Did the decision to grant 3M out of the Cornwall Councils capital investment budget awarded to the Hall for Cornwall go before the Full Council to vote on?

Date: 13 February, 2018 18:14

Here is a breakdown of the funding sources for the Hall for Cornwall. As you can see if we got the same level of funding from Cornwall Council and HM Treasury we could start the stadium build.
Funds have been secured from the following;

Arts Council England: 5m

Cornwall Council: 3.19m

European Regional Development Fund (ERDF): 2.1m

Heritage Lottery Fund: 2.85m

HM Treasury: 2m

Local Enterprise Partnership: 2m

Trusts and Foundations/donations: 1m

1.7 million is outstanding and this will be raised through a combination of private fundraising, crowdfunding and via trusts and foundations. Recent support has come from private and corporate donations, including the Alex Patrick Trust.

Posted by: Porthusek Pirate (IP Logged)
Date: 13 February, 2018 19:07

Unfortunately after I started this thread I was unable to continue listening to RC, the one caller I did hear started saying that Langarth was the wrong location and that no public funding should be allocated until the stadium was moved more centrally in the county. I was really surprised to hear that at this stage.

That caller clearly knew very little about the history or the current status of S4C and what has been going on for the current location to have been identified. IF most of the Cornish public are so ill informed that does not bode well.

In my view that show was a very good opportunity for someone from the S4C project or dare I say possibly some of the more informed posters on this forum (Pirate15 and 1Spy for example - hope you don't mind me mentioning you, there has to be many others) to contribute to Larry's show and put the S4C side forward.

That may have happened I don't know but is the message really getting out there?

Posted by: 1908 (IP Logged)
Date: 18 February, 2018 17:26

Whilst all good and positive facts, argument and information well presented on Radio Cornwall is to be welcomed, it is the Council we need to convince.

I think Adam Paynter...leader of the Council...is very pro Stadium. If it goes to a full Council vote then there are still some very narrow minded anti-Stadium individuals who we need to convince of its value.

It has been a long and frustrating struggle that we need to keep going and let us all hope and pray that the right decision is made.

Posted by: cornishbob (IP Logged)
Date: 18 February, 2018 17:46

It would be interesting to see how much the council has put into 'cultural' projects, like the Hall for Cornwall, Eden, Tate St Ives and Heartlands whilst closing some leisure centres and farming out the rest to private companies. I'm not saying that any of those projects didn't deserve the funding but a level playing field (no pun intended) for all is not too much to expect is it? Not long now before we will know the decision of the council, I can only hope that those who like art and music will also see that they can enjoy the same at the S4C and help this wonderful project reach fruition..

Posted by: *Stalwart (IP Logged)
Date: 18 February, 2018 17:54

Quote:
cornishbob
It would be interesting to see how much the council has put into 'cultural' projects, like the Hall for Cornwall, Eden, Tate St Ives and Heartlands whilst closing some leisure centres and farming out the rest to private companies. I'm not saying that any of those projects didn't deserve the funding but a level playing field (no pun intended) for all is not too much to expect is it? Not long now before we will know the decision of the council, I can only hope that those who like art and music will also see that they can enjoy the same at the S4C and help this wonderful project reach fruition..
About 1.3m has been spent The Eden Project by Cornwall Council in three-and-a-half years. The Eden Project is an educational charity and a social enterprise. Its total capital cost to date has been some 132 million.

Cornwall Council has allocated 1,637,093 of capital grant funding contributions to Heartlands. Of this sum, 1,213,000 was the land value for the site on which Heartlands has been developed and 424,093 was
capital funding. The overall project cost is 35,317,257.

Cornwall Council created Tate St Ives in 1993 and has supported the project to extend and refurbish the gallery from the beginning, providing 4.5m of capital funding towards acquiring the land for the extension, designing and delivering this stunning new gallery. The new extension cost 20 million.

Date: 19 February, 2018 09:57

Unfortunately the Hall for Cornwall has to make 100 staff redundant whilst the 2 year construction is ongoing plus 100 volunteers.

Date: 19 February, 2018 11:06

Quote:
1spy
Unfortunately the Hall for Cornwall has to make 100 staff redundant whilst the 2 year construction is ongoing plus 100 volunteers.
That's tough on those people, but it doesn't change the fact that CC are putting a huge amount of money into it.

Posted by: Corsair (IP Logged)
Date: 19 February, 2018 12:04

To ask the council to fund 43% of A development is where the problem lies. Especially when the mantra of "no council money" was repeated time and again. The Hall for Cornwall is being used as an argument for funding by some supporters, but as the council is supplying 16% of the regeneration funding this fails to impact on those of us that feel the S4C project is an expensive dream for a rugby team that is finding it increasingly difficult to compete both on and off the pitch. I'm sorry but I don't think 6 million is a wise investment when money is so tight in every area of governance.

Date: 19 February, 2018 12:24

Quote:
Corsair
To ask the council to fund 43% of A development is where the problem lies. Especially when the mantra of "no council money" was repeated time and again. The Hall for Cornwall is being used as an argument for funding by some supporters, but as the council is supplying 16% of the regeneration funding this fails to impact on those of us that feel the S4C project is an expensive dream for a rugby team that is finding it increasingly difficult to compete both on and off the pitch. I'm sorry but I don't think 6 million is a wise investment when money is so tight in every area of governance.
You are missing the point by describing S4C as an expensive dream for a rugby team - it is not that at all. Have a look at the S4C website to see what the vision is - it's far more than a rugby stadium. The reason the Pirates are finding it difficult to compete is purely because of the stadium criteria - we cannot progress while we are at The Mennaye - but with a new stadium we can generate more income, recruit more players, attract more supporters and be extremely competitive in this league. The fact that the council can, and do, fund these big arts and culture projects is, surely an argument that sport should be treated fairly. We are always being told about inactivity and obesity, especially amongst the young - this is a chance to put some investment into a state of the art facility that will inspire people to take up sport.Can you name any sports facilities, or organisations that have received anything like the figures we are talking about for the Tate, Heartlands, Hall For Cornwall and Eden?

Posted by: cornishbob (IP Logged)
Date: 19 February, 2018 13:15

Corsiar, I see your point but as Stalwart has said it's much more than just a rugby and football stadium. Lets not lose sight that if the plans and goalposts weren't constantly either being moved (so far 8 years worth), put on hold or blatantly blocked by certain councillors there would by now have been a fully funded stadium up and running. I have never known a project like this take so long anywhere in the country, in fact councils up and down the land have not only granted permission for stadia such as this but have backed it and got it built why we have been waiting for some fool or fools on the council to get up to date with what this is all about. My fear is despite the best efforts of some forward thinking councillors this will not get a penny in funding therefore relegating Cornwall back into the dark ages.

Posted by: piratepilot (IP Logged)
Date: 19 February, 2018 13:28

Quote:
cornishbob
Corsiar, I see your point but as Stalwart has said it's much more than just a rugby and football stadium. Lets not lose sight that if the plans and goalposts weren't constantly either being moved (so far 8 years worth), put on hold or blatantly blocked by certain councillors there would by now have been a fully funded stadium up and running. I have never known a project like this take so long anywhere in the country, in fact councils up and down the land have not only granted permission for stadia such as this but have backed it and got it built why we have been waiting for some fool or fools on the council to get up to date with what this is all about. My fear is despite the best efforts of some forward thinking councillors this will not get a penny in funding therefore relegating Cornwall back into the dark ages.

This is the very worrying truth. If not for a handful of stubborn and narcissistic councilors we'd be enjoying a shiny new stadium every fortnight, rather than the regular bog that is the Mennaye. Don't get me wrong, I love the Mennaye, but seeing how vulnerable it has been to the weather this year has hit us with a hard truth. It's either stadium, or more postponed matches, resulting in massive loss of revenue and an even less sustainable Pirates. If this stadium doesn't go up soon I worry for the Pirates' future.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 19/02/2018 13:28 by piratepilot.

Date: 19 February, 2018 14:36

Without the Stadium Truro City Football Club will not have a ground for the future. Cornwall could be one the only Counties in the UK without professional Rugby and Football Clubs. How embarrassing can than get for Councillors and our Six MPs?

Posted by: POSTS (IP Logged)
Date: 19 February, 2018 15:15

What I do not understand is where Inox fit into all this.They promised Retail units would help fund the stadium.Now all of a sudden there is no takers for their retail units.Surely they must have done some huge investigation into proposed retailers joining the project with them.

Posted by: bolingey pirate (IP Logged)
Date: 19 February, 2018 15:46

Good point POSTS. Where are Inox these days...we don't hear much about the...anyone know ???

Date: 19 February, 2018 16:07

Unfortunately it is a buyers market,there are numerous retail/housing developments in the County with planning permission but very little appetite to build on them due to the financial uncertainty in the market. This is not the fault of INOX or any of the stadium partners it is down to market forces. No-one is saying that the retail/housing developments won't happen its just that its very unlikely in the preferred timescale of September 2019 to suit the ambitions of both the Pirates and Truro City.

Posted by: Corsair (IP Logged)
Date: 19 February, 2018 16:13

Cornish Bob/ Posts. Your comments are one of the reasons that I find it hard to buy in to the project. I may be wrong but I believe the truth has never been completely told and now that is coming back to haunt the many who believed all was good. It was only a few months ago we were told/ promised the money was all in place. What a load of ????? that was! Inbox as you say have completely disappeared with no statement of explanation from anyone. Mind you it gets harder to believe what is released as on numerous occasions this proves to be totally spurious. Sadly I also feel the inclusion of Truro City is little more than a sop to attempt to make the project more appealing to the public at large.

Current Page: 1 of 2
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net