Current Page: 1 of 2
rugby
Posted by: lamornapirate (IP Logged)
Date: 08 January, 2019 09:44

Re: rugby
Posted by: *Stalwart (IP Logged)
Date: 08 January, 2019 11:16

Scrapping relegation and promotion would be disastrous - no wonder RGRE is livid.

Posted by: Phil W (IP Logged)
Date: 08 January, 2019 11:59

It would be against the whole ethos of the sport as we know it (not just for the Pirates but for all clubs). Yes, business is important (very important) especially at the top end of the game, however it should never be forgotten that it is 'sport' first and foremost.

If it comes ever closer to the chosen 'elite' going their own way - and it would be of no surprise - then a rugby rebellion would be just!

"Do you hear the people sing, singing the song of angry men!"

Best wishes, Phil W

Posted by: Cowship Pirate (IP Logged)
Date: 08 January, 2019 11:59

Who the hell is feeding them these stupid ideas ?

Posted by: Cowship Pirate (IP Logged)
Date: 08 January, 2019 12:00

Would this apply to the lower leagues ?

Date: 08 January, 2019 15:04

[www.youtube.com]

Very appropriate Phil

Posted by: wigston pirate (IP Logged)
Date: 09 January, 2019 01:27

Always amazing how many players are plucked from the lower leagues even after they have been thrown out of Premier academy's. I recall Billy Twelvetrees been shown the door at Leicester and after one season at Bedford was taken back due to his try scoring. Billy has moved on since then and Dan Cole even played in lower leagues. To ring fence could make the league pretty boring after a few seasons should the same teams stay at the bottom constantly just getting the money. Would their fan base want to see their team constantly at the bottom knowing they will have a cash windfall but going nowhere.I am sure they would start to look at alternative sports to support. If they had a value of money placed on their position each season would the clubs start to look recruit Southern Hemisphere players more as they would be looking after their assets and England players will start to reduce long term leaving HQ operating on lower league teams to represent their country.

Lower league teams need to be encouraged and if they have the potential have the opportunity.

(Sm109)

Posted by: 1spy (IP Logged)
Date: 09 January, 2019 16:04

This weeks BBC Sport Rugby Pod.Quins Danny Care spoke up for Promotion and Relegation.Hugo Monye thought it was pretty well ring fenced already by the financial constraints ie Parachute Payment.

Date: 09 January, 2019 18:02

Quote:
1spy
This weeks BBC Sport Rugby Pod.Quins Danny Care spoke up for Promotion and Relegation.Hugo Monye thought it was pretty well ring fenced already by the financial constraints ie Parachute Payment.
Good for them. Monye is right that it's pretty near ring fenced already.

Posted by: Pirate15 (IP Logged)
Date: 09 January, 2019 22:21

I find it very disappionting that 2 clubs who have recently been in the championship,Bristol and London Irish, are behind this idea. These are 2 clubs who you would like to think understand better than others the difficulties of being a championship club. Unfortunately they appear to be putting their own self interests above the long term damage this will do to the game. I feel that they have lost the respect of many within the game over their motive fir this change. I now hope that Bristol get relegated and Ealing win promotion as maybe another season in the 2nd tier will make them change their stance.

Date: 09 January, 2019 23:16

What we want is for Pirates to win the league and Ealing to finish second!

Date: 10 January, 2019 10:03

If the premiership is ringfenced, could Cornwall use it's Celtic ties to play in the Wales setup or is that ringfenced as well?

Date: 10 January, 2019 12:32

Quote:
lamornapirate
If the premiership is ringfenced, could Cornwall use it's Celtic ties to play in the Wales setup or is that ringfenced as well?
Pro 14 might be an option - if they'd let us in, but it is ring fenced and there are a lot of dead rubber games.

Posted by: SixNineOne (IP Logged)
Date: 10 January, 2019 18:19

It seems to me that if we are to avoid ring fencing we need to find a better way of bridging the gap between the premiership and the championship, which is exacerbated by the fact that they are run by two different organisations. That looks really difficult!

Currently there are two big hurdles for an ambitious championship club. First, they have to beat a well funded premiership relegatee and win the league; second, they have to develop the infrastructure and playing squad to compete in the premiership in very short order. it's also a bit of a nonsense from the point of view of the relegated team because they have to put their development plans on hold, probably lose some of their key players and suffer dwindling crowds, even though, as likely as not, they are going to bounce straight back. For these reasons I'm attracted to Nigel Melville's suggestion of a 16 team, 2 conference premiership with proper geographical representation - i.e. including Pirates and Yorkshire Carnegie. The constituents of this league could then be reviewed after 3 years. Would this be attractive?

Date: 11 January, 2019 16:01

No one seems to have grasped the seriousness of ring fencing. I can't see the stadium going ahead if there is no prospect of premiership rugby. Ring fencing would be a disaster for the pirates.

Date: 11 January, 2019 18:01

Quote:
lamornapirate
No one seems to have grasped the seriousness of ring fencing. I can't see the stadium going ahead if there is no prospect of premiership rugby. Ring fencing would be a disaster for the pirates.
I think we all get that.There would be no point in anyone putting a lot of money into Championships clubs. Many, if not all, would go part time/semi-pro.

Posted by: 1spy (IP Logged)
Date: 12 January, 2019 09:22

The Stadium will be built before any decision will be made on Ring Fencing.The Premier League has problems look at the Clubs poor performances in the European Cups.We rely on Saracens to carry the English flag again.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/01/2019 09:24 by 1spy.

Posted by: Surrey Pirate (IP Logged)
Date: 13 January, 2019 10:42

The other thing that seems to be conveniently forgotten by those wanting ring fencing is that Rugby League's Super League, in the not too distant past had a form of ring fencing which failed badly and so re-introduced promotion and relegation again.

Posted by: AdminBTCov (IP Logged)
Date: 13 January, 2019 22:18

[www.google.com]

Nothing said down your way either?

Date: 19 January, 2019 10:13

Current Page: 1 of 2
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net