Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: What is going wrong/Not working?
Posted by: HoboAl (IP Logged)
Date: 21 October, 2018 19:46

Quote:
TryBlues
The top 5 in this league should be in no particular order Irish, Trailfinders, Blues, Jersey and Pirates.
Yes Coventry beat a massively depleted Blues team and Jersey who traditionally are slow starters and then become one of the form teams in the 2nd half of the season.

You will find winning home games are a must and winning away is a bonus, with the ultimate aim to get some form of bonus point.

That realistically leaves Coventry 6 to 12, you were never going to storm the league into the top 4 this year. I see somewhere Coventry somewhere around 8th as being a good result, next season you will want to aim to be challenging top 5, before trying to break into it the following season.

Exactly and you only have to look at the history of promoted teams. One spot above the bottom club is a good result. Regroup and go again next year. It probably takes three years to establish yourself at this level - and the level seems to go up each year.

Posted by: Maxee (IP Logged)
Date: 21 October, 2018 21:36

What is going wrong/Not working?

Simple Answer: expectation is a little high. Id be surprised if any promoted team in recent history has won 3 out of 8 opening matches. Im possibly wrong. Only once since we were last relegated (winning 5 games in the regular season and finishing second bottom), has the relegated team managed 5 wins all season.

2 of our losses so far are against LI and Ealing.

Sitting comfortably in mid table, Id say were doing alright. I predict well improve this season and be even more competitive next year.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 21/10/2018 21:43 by Maxee.

Posted by: Drew1961 (IP Logged)
Date: 22 October, 2018 13:19

A number of things that I think are going right- home form, fantastic suppprt (larger home crowd than most, Irish only get 4.000 in the Madjeski!), some gifted players, great defence at home has won games.
Things not going so well: not got a core groups of 8-10 players who start every game (so far only 3 started every game); too many penalties; stop trying to run from deep (sensible defence), talk more to each other, regroup when things not working and be able to change game plan, cut out dreadful kicking, keep ball in hand, never miss a tackle. I don't think it's about being heavier - the bigger they are the harder they fall. We have speed but need to get in where it hurts. Why rush up to try an intercept or kick cross field in own 22 - sensible decisions and clear leadership are needed. Not hearing much on touchline at away games.
Having said all that, home form has been great but we should be winning some away games and need to do that in second half of season. No need to rest or rotate - need some consistency in team and performance - home and away. May be that is what November is for!

Posted by: Tip (IP Logged)
Date: 22 October, 2018 14:06

OK, we are not trainers, tacticians, or people with as much insight to the game plays with the players we have and how we should play as the management team.
We might be talented "amateurs" but I doubt very much as good as our management professionals.
So with that in mind we were well beat Saturday, learn the lessons from it and move on. But I agree that we are paying customers and are allowed to air our thoughts.

Current Page: 2 of 2
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net