Enjoyable Evening at BPA
Posted by: poplarside (IP Logged)
Date: 06 November, 2018 17:18

What an evening it was at The Butts.
Fine Remembrance ceremony, nice touch with serving Soldiers laying the wreaths. Very moving to hear Mr Sharp read out the names of the fallen former Coventry FC players. I enjoyed the singing prior to the ceremony.
Thought that all the Cov players put in a fine effort against an international side. Canada took their tries well but they were never able to control the game for long against a determined Cov side with many personnel changes.
Finally, how good it was to watch night-Rugby again. Brought back memories of the games of old against the likes of Rugby Lions, Nuns, and Nottingham. More of this please!

Re: Enjoyable Evening at BPA
Posted by: CovBlueLou (IP Logged)
Date: 06 November, 2018 18:29

I do wonder how the odd Friday night game would go down!?
I know iíd be able to get a few along who donít usually go with the prospect of a few beers after at the club or in Earlsdon or town.

Posted by: Rob C (IP Logged)
Date: 06 November, 2018 18:38

Quote:
CovBlueLou
I know iíd be able to get a few along who donít usually go with the prospect of a few beers after at the club or in Earlsdon or town.

We were reminiscing last night about the club's experiment for a season with Friday night matches. It was initially good experience but as the nights grew colder the crowds grew sparcer and the club eventually went back to Saturdays.

I've always enjoyed the odd weekday night match, it's a different atmosphere under the lights.

Posted by: CovBlueLou (IP Logged)
Date: 06 November, 2018 18:57

Quote:
Rob C
Quote:
CovBlueLou

We were reminiscing last night about the club's experiment for a season with Friday night matches. It was initially good experience but as the nights grew colder the crowds grew sparcer and the club eventually went back to Saturdays.

I've always enjoyed the odd weekday night match, it's a different atmosphere under the lights.

Totally agree, no matter the sport, rugby, football or Cricket etc the lights add something special!

Good point about the weather! Maybe a couple of games either end of the season one in September and one end of March/April to mix it up, allows Saturday club players to come along, CCFC fans if a fixture clash etc.

Just an idea.

Posted by: fordy69uk (IP Logged)
Date: 07 November, 2018 18:26

My beer froze over on one of those Friday night games!

Posted by: Kimbo (IP Logged)
Date: 07 November, 2018 19:47

Quote:
fordy69uk
Watered down much?

Posted by: Jean H (IP Logged)
Date: 08 November, 2018 00:14

I prefer Saturday games ,I donít like driving in the dark!!!!

Posted by: covkid53 (IP Logged)
Date: 08 November, 2018 08:30

Quote:
Kimbo
Quote:
fordy69uk
Watered down much?
The problem is on really cold nights the odd match being called off as the pitch surface froze over and the frost made it too dangerous to play, the night rolls in and the temperatures can plummet. I agree occasional early and late season night games might work well, a big crowd roaring the team under lights would bring back memories of the good old days. Once I was on a Friday night train back from London and was seated near a certain Mr Marcus Rose, our England fullback who was rushing to play in one of these night games. I think that game was called off because of the state of the Coundon road pitch !

Posted by: Duckham walked on water (IP Logged)
Date: 08 November, 2018 10:06

I love an evening match! I remember with much affection the midweek matches at Coundon Road in the 70s, when the first team would play 40+ matches a season, many on a Wed evening. The Extras also had a fair number - we were spoilt in those days! The move under Green to league matches on a Fri evening was a disaster for those of us who worked and live over 2 hours away, so I would hate to see a return to them, but I am sure more Nighthawk matches would go down well, if only we can find opponents. Quins play a fair few A team fixtures in the evenings and they are well supported

Posted by: Bono546 (IP Logged)
Date: 08 November, 2018 10:52

Fordy your beer is never in the glass long enough to freeze over (Sm42)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/11/2018 10:54 by Bono546.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net