John Butler
Posted by: covmick1/Michael Carter (IP Logged)
Date: 02 December, 2018 11:45

It is with great regret this morning that I have read comments about John Butler. John is one of a group of people who have never played for CRFC. but have contributed so much to the club of the the field of play. The intial remarks where mad by a person i think from the Nottingham fan base. Others have sprung to ohn's defence. In over forty years of watshing Coventry play John has been a major factor in club affairs. Gone bust twice John worked hard at this to save the club. He started at a young age with the supporters club. Since being made a life member. For many years the voice on the tannoy at home games. Also for club as press officer alongside fixture secretary plus many othe roles in the pre proffesional game. His media job started with BBC Radio Birmingham, Mercia Sound and now back to BBC Coventry and Warwickshire. Plus his role of club historian. I could go on with other stories, But will say this JB has always IMHO reported fairly about any game, club issue. To have ago at him is very hard to do. But if anyone does ten percent of the work that he has done they would have worked very hard for the club.

I hope to be around for many more years looking forward to reading and listening to a great servent of Rugby football in Mr John Butler.

covmick/Michael Carter

Re: John Butler
Posted by: AdminBTCov (IP Logged)
Date: 03 December, 2018 18:50

Sorry - this post was accidentally 'held' due to a (temporary) incorrect setting on the forum. Now fixed.

Posted by: Charliebravo (Cliff Bennett) (IP Logged)
Date: 03 December, 2018 19:11

The only mitigating factor in the Nottingham supporter’s comments about JB’s posting and comments about the ref’s decisions on Friday night is that he clearly doesn’t know John. Those of us who do are held in awe of his deep commitment to Coventry Rugby, his unscrupulous fairness and his overall aura of being such an entirely decent bloke.

Posted by: AdminBTCov (IP Logged)
Date: 03 December, 2018 21:08

I trust you mean scrupulous fairness, Charliebravo? (Sm13)

Posted by: HoboAl (IP Logged)
Date: 03 December, 2018 21:45

Yes we all know about John and hold him in reverance. But other fans from other clubs dont. If John posts on social media then he is open to being taken to task on his last post just like any of us. It is then up to the readers of the various posts to decide where insight and rational truely lies.

Social media has always existed whether it is word of mouth, the printed form, recorded or more recently this new computerised digital thingy!!!!

Posted by: John Butler (IP Logged)
Date: 03 December, 2018 22:23

Thank you so much.
As HoboAl has eluded to, the dangers of social media are for all there to see.
I have now responded to whoever it was at Nottingham & suggest matters lie there.
It does make me feel a little less inclined though to openly express a personal view.
Thank you Mick, as always you are a gent

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/12/2018 22:25 by John Butler.

Posted by: Geoff Kennedy (IP Logged)
Date: 04 December, 2018 14:13

John,
I echo all of Mick Carter's comments. Your opinions have always been unbiased and fair. Your historic role within our club is evidents to all Coventry members, supporters and the wider rugby community.
I urge you to continue with your highly valued comments on this and other outlets.

Posted by: poplarside (IP Logged)
Date: 04 December, 2018 17:29

Over the many years that I've read or listened to reports of games from John he has always come across as someone that tells it like it is. When Cov have played poorly or have been outclassed by superior opponents he has been perfectly happy to report this. An opinion on the ref was expressed which he like every other fan or reporter up and down the country have a right to.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/12/2018 17:32 by poplarside.

Posted by: Diesel74 (IP Logged)
Date: 05 December, 2018 15:07

John is a gentleman, a fan of rugby, let alone Coventry rugby, and honest in his views.

That may work for some, not for others.

It works for me.

Keep on the same path, JB.

Mark

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net