Premiership ring fencing
Posted by: GetxoGreg (IP Logged)
Date: 06 January, 2019 19:53

Premiership 'not at war' with RFU over promotion & relegation - Ian Ritchie - [www.bbc.co.uk]

What a disaster this would be. Destroying the ambition of many clubs. If this had been the rule years ago Exeter etc. would not be premiership clubs. The analogy with the NFL is also dangerous. There are franchise clubs and though England does have clubs like wasps that moved away from their origin, we do not want to go down this road.

In Scotland we now have the super 6 .. controversial and not helping clubs not in the super 6.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/01/2019 20:50 by GetxoGreg.

Re: Premiership ring fencing
Posted by: Alinta (IP Logged)
Date: 07 January, 2019 16:19

Greg,
Firstly, I entirely agree with your comments but unfortunately it looks as though it is a battle that Rugby supporters across the country are going to have to fight. Several years ago a commission, split into 3 sub groups, was set up by the RFU to look at the future of the game and their recommendations included the following:

Moving the 6 Nations to April & May
A 12 team, 22 match English League running from September to January, breaking only for a 3 match series of Autumn Internationals
A 9 week stretch devoted solely to European competition
A guaranteed playing break of 2 months
A 30 match limit for Test players
Scrapping of promotion & relegation
Franchising of Premiership sides, based upon geographical spread, 3 teams in the North (Newcastle, Leeds & Sale), 3 teams in the West Country (Bath, Bristol & Gloucester), 4 teams in London (London Irish, Saracens, Wasps & Harlequins), 2 in the Midlands (Northampton & Leicester)

The proposal was that the franchise would last for a duration of 4 years and a new franchise could only replace an existing one if both were from the same region.

As can be seen, these recommendations were made before the likes of Exeter & Worcester gate crashed the party and Wasps moved to the Ricoh Arena.

At the time the proposals were accepted following a vote by RFU board, but rejected by a majority vote of the full Union Council.

Henry Winter's comments on the link to the BBC Sport website hit the nail on the head. In sport there must be jeopardy (relegation) and the opportunity for other clubs to aspire and gain promotion.

The only certainty is that change is coming, our hopes of what it will look like are almost certainly going to be inversely proportional to it's desirability as far as the majority of rugby clubs and their supporters want it to be.

Posted by: Bono546 (IP Logged)
Date: 08 January, 2019 08:58

The 12 team premiership is unlikely to change with European cup games filling the fixture list, complemented by international fixtures giving a full season programme. The French have 14 teams in their top league but have a much longer season. Most rugby supporters I believe would not object to the extension but player welfare will dictate no extension to the length of the season.
The championship in my opinion needs to enlarge probably to 16 teams. This would not increase the length of the season if the Cup competition was dropped which again I think would not be objected to by most supporters. It would also give additional income to teams there being 15 home games guaranteed instead of the 14 this year.
Relegation must be retained and one up one down from the premiership would I believe be accepted with the bottom club of the championship relegated and a play off between the second placed national one club and the second bottom of the championship. The amount of money paid to championship clubs would be diluted but offset a little by additional gate receipts.
In my opinion this is the way forward if player development is to continue at championship level.
When watching premiership rugby on television it is surprising how many players in the games have graced Coventry in their development. Collins, Dingwall, Hurrell are 3 names that immediately come to mind and we were in National 1 then. I read somewhere that Jersey have produced 21 players currently in the pay of Premiership clubs. Take away relegation/promotion and you will lose this conveyor belt and reduce the national team as more foreign stars come into the premiership.
The RFU and premiership Teams need to start thinking about supporters just for once don't feed the greed of a few nurture the many
This is my opinion which I think many agree with in part or totally

Posted by: Mark (IP Logged)
Date: 08 January, 2019 10:43

Totally agree Bono.
The 16 team Championship would be sustainable i feel.
Also your play off thoughts are spot. On. An automatic relegation for the bottom side and pkay off for second bottom would be good.
Until or if this gets to be a reality the cup competition is a must for sustained revenue and sooner it isnt seen as a waste of time by some supporters the better as most clubs couldn't survive without its gate receipts.
Ring fencing anything takes away competition and interest and ultimately the reason supporters love sport,. The fight to win , need to win or scrap to stay or go up

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/01/2019 10:47 by Mark.

Posted by: OldNick (IP Logged)
Date: 08 January, 2019 14:19

Sanity checking the figures, it's quite clear why the clubs accepted the Championship Cup, rather than the Championship expansion in the form proposed by the RFU.

The Championship Cup provides a total of 43 matches, with each team guaranteed 3 home matches (and averaging about 3.5 home matches)
So far they have averaged crowds of 1095, so each club averages 3833 spectators in total from the cup.

It also provides (8+4+2+1)=15 x 10,000 prize money, 150,000, or an average of 12,500 per club.

If, as a very ball park figure, we say a club makes 20 from each spectator visit, that would mean that the average effect of the Championship cup when compared with just 22 league matches is to add (3833x20) + 12,500 per club. Total +89,160 per club.

Comparing that with expanding the league to 16 teams. 30 matches, 15 at home

The base figure is +4 home matches, compared with the current 11 from 22 matches. Crowds are better too - currently averaging 1595 per match. Each club would average 6380 extra attendees, at 20 per head again, or 127,600 - nearly a 40,000 gain over the Championship Cup.

But, this is heavily outweighed by the loss in central funsing fropm the RFU. At present 12 teams each receive 530,000 per season from the RFU. This is a total of 6,360,000. The RFU proposals for expansion have all been driven by dividing this sum across the entire division. With 16 teams, that would be 397,500 per club - a loss of 132,500 per club. Net result of expansion ( compared with 12 teams) +127,600 receipts - 132,500 funding = a met reduction of 4,900 per club.

On average then, the Championship cup results in an average income of +89,160 per club.
Expanding the league to 16 clubs, with no additonal central funding, would result in a decline in income to each club of 4,900 even after additional receipts are accounted for.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net