Bill Gittings
Posted by: John Butler (IP Logged)
Date: 06 February, 2019 12:10

Very sad news. Bill Gittings, another wonderful servant of the game, died in the early hours of this morning.
A full tribute is appearing on the official club site

Re: Bill Gittings
Posted by: AdminBTCov (IP Logged)
Date: 06 February, 2019 12:31

Terribly sad news.
Rest well Billy.

Posted by: Rob C (IP Logged)
Date: 06 February, 2019 12:31

Sad to hear the news, Bill was a great scrum half from my early days of supporting Cov and a nice chap to boot. I remember as a young lad trying to emulate his famous dive pass.

A sad day for the club...

Posted by: Gitto's Mate (IP Logged)
Date: 06 February, 2019 18:20

Yes a sad day indeed (I heard the news earlier today). I was lucky enough to work with Bill at Motor Panels 25 years ago; my word we had some great chats about rugby. These were usually when he appeared in my office chasing something (work related) urgently. I would say "forget that Bill, tell me about this, that or the other" (rugby related).

He couldn't resist bless him ...

Some of it has to stay in the vault but I loved his tales about other scrum halves such as Steve Smith or the great Gareth Edwards; Cov v Cardiff back in the day was similar to a test match (and it was a friendly in name). Bill told me "we always picked Rich Walker at 8 for Welsh games, first name on the team sheet. On one particular occasion, I gave Gareth Edwards a good "tap" early doors. After the next scrum, I came to, to find our physio putting a couple of my teeth in a kidney shaped dish!"

"Did you play on Bill?"

Damn right I did, didn't have time to bleed!"

There were other tales too such as the time Derek Simpson got into his tangle with Geoff Wheel against Swansea - Wheel had a rather noticeable "facial tick" so they wound Simpo up telling him, "when he does his face thing, he's going to lamp you so get in first." The rest is history but Bill would guffaw thinking back to the two second row forwards, arm in arm in the bar post match, both sporting superb shiners.

Only one test cap our Bill, verses the All Blacks in 1967 - a travesty if ever there was one; probably something to do with his school tie, being from the midlands and not having a double barrelled surname but hey, their loss eh? Was there ever a braver scrum-half? David Duckham pays homage to the "silver fox" in his autobiography "Dai for England."

So rest in peace Billy boy, thanks for the all the wonderful memories and I'm sorry if that urgent job never made it to press in time.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/02/2019 18:22 by Gitto's Mate.

Posted by: HoboAl (IP Logged)
Date: 06 February, 2019 19:21

Cov Icon!

Posted by: AdminBTCov (IP Logged)
Date: 06 February, 2019 20:30

Sadly, Moseley man Jan Webster has also passed away today.
A couple of top class inside halves now contesting their places in the celestial team.

Posted by: rustyroof (IP Logged)
Date: 10 February, 2019 22:00

John Inverdale paid tribute to Bill and Jan during the BBC 6 nations coverage yesterday.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net