Current Page: 1 of 2
Fans forum in brief
Posted by: Moosemagic (IP Logged)
Date: 09 May, 2019 23:25

Points to note outside of the on field stuff
New kit provided by a company called Skins. Looking at a range of leisure wear to accompany it. Continue with blue and white hoops, away predominantly red.
AGP artificial grass pitch, will know in 10 days if we will have one for next season, 12 week lead time so will be ready for the start of season if we go ahead with it.
A new club badge will be introduced based on historic Coventry colours and crests, Elephant, castle , red and green.
Awaiting planning consent for a phased redevelopment of the ground. Many companies interested in being associated with the club and redevelopment.
Bar.......looking at more external bars, aware of the current situation and working hard to remedy it...

Phil Reynolds

Re: Fans forum in brief
Posted by: timdouglas1 (IP Logged)
Date: 10 May, 2019 00:02

Also we have a new bar manager, which I am sure will come as a huge relief to most people

Posted by: HoboAl (IP Logged)
Date: 10 May, 2019 07:46

I dont think the bar is going to be an easy fix. Until ground is developed and conference side developed you wont attract and retain good bar staff for one gig every 2 or sometimes 3 weeks.

But they are aware, are listening and are trying. Dare I say it but sometimes we the fans, the customers are part of and create some of those problems. We can have a positive role to play too.

Posted by: Rob C (IP Logged)
Date: 10 May, 2019 08:29

Some positives there for sure. Not convinced we need a badge change though...if it ain't broke why fix it?

Posted by: CovBlueLou (IP Logged)
Date: 10 May, 2019 08:49

Quote:
Rob C
Some positives there for sure. Not convinced we need a badge change though...if it ain't broke why fix it?

Agree, I can see a smaller scale furore like when CCFC announced their badge change after the move to the Ricoh.
Did they unveil any templates last night? Sounds similar to the current football club badge?

My only thinking is this possibly part of a larger possible (Bristol Bears style) rebranding, ground development, artificial pitch etc? Hopefully no name change!

Posted by: Moosemagic (IP Logged)
Date: 10 May, 2019 08:59

The badge was shown last night and will be revealed on the website shortly.
The reasoning is that they want to revert to Coventry heritage hence the inclusion of red and green which is predominant on all historic Coventry emblems. The Coventry crest which can be seen on the walls of the club leading up to the VIP suites upstairs is red and green.

For sure It will divide opinions but i got the feeling from last night that the majority of the audience liked the new badge.

Phil Reynolds

Date: 10 May, 2019 09:20

Quote:
Moosemagic
The badge was shown last night and will be revealed on the website shortly.
The reasoning is that they want to revert to Coventry heritage hence the inclusion of red and green which is predominant on all historic Coventry emblems. The Coventry crest which can be seen on the walls of the club leading up to the VIP suites upstairs is red and green.

For sure It will divide opinions but i got the feeling from last night that the majority of the audience liked the new badge.

We went along this route at the school in which I work. The idea was to revert to the old style badge incorporating the green and red of Coventry. It didn't go down well with parents and students and the idea was scrapped...

I'll withhold judgement till I've seen the new design but I'm not sure how it will work on a blue and white shirt. Most clubs are simplifying and modernising their crests.

Posted by: AdminBTCov (IP Logged)
Date: 10 May, 2019 09:21

Not seeking to be negative.
I understand the reasons for blue being the dominant colour for many local sports teams (all well documented), and that red & green are the city's heraldic colours, but aligning the club more closely to CUFC in this way will possibly be seen as a negative among some Sky Blues fans.
There are many more regular CCFC goers out there than CRFC and CUFC regulars combined, and trust me, they'll 'discuss' it!
We just need to be mindful of that angst and distaste for the upstarts by some City fans, as we don't want to alienate them in any way as quite a few now regularly attend the BPA.
Small beer I guess, and I'm probably over-thinking it, but them's my thoughts.

Date: 10 May, 2019 09:23

And, as Lou says, that awful CCFC re-brand badge went down like a s*** sandwich among the fans, and thankfully never happened.
I'm hoping ours is nowhere near as crass...

Posted by: CovBlueLou (IP Logged)
Date: 10 May, 2019 09:40

Quote:
AdminBTCov
And, as Lou says, that awful CCFC re-brand badge went down like a s*** sandwich among the fans, and thankfully never happened.
I'm hoping ours is nowhere near as crass...

The positive from Moose’s comments having seen the badge at least it’s reverting to an ‘old’ style crest as opposed to some of the ‘modern day’ monstrosity’s you are in hope of attracting a new audience.

Personally I like the badge, I’ve had it recognised all over the place outside Cov not at rugby games when wearing my beanie or shirt people not from Coventry have said “Coventry Rugby” which always given a sense of pride!

Posted by: MDCS (IP Logged)
Date: 10 May, 2019 10:03

Some comments about the present badge from the guy with the mic. It doesn’t say Coventry anywhere at all on the present badge. It doesn’t represent the club crest as seen in the stairwell to upstairs. Why is there a Swiss flag on the elephant. Why does the ball have laces? The ‘castle’ atop the elephant looks like something Disney would draw. From the floor ‘Why is the elephant orange’

For me The new badge looks old fashioned but better. The name Coventry appears on the ball as do the words EST 1874. It looks like the club crest. It resembles Coventry’s coat of arms. The castle loooks like a castle.

I am in favour of a new approach. I liked the old badge too. It will stay around for a lot of years. We still see Peugeot shirts worn by supporters

Posted by: tom snr (IP Logged)
Date: 10 May, 2019 10:16

well said MDCS,a sensible response to a lot of over sensitive supporters.

tom little

Date: 10 May, 2019 10:31

Quote:
tom snr
well said MDCS,a sensible response to a lot of over sensitive supporters.

People are bound to have an opinion, we've lived with the current badge for a long time, does that make them over sensitive?

On another note, anyone know when the playing shirts started to bear the club crest? Looking at a photo from 1981 the crest isn't there

Posted by: RichC87 (IP Logged)
Date: 10 May, 2019 10:32

As much as it won't appeal to everyone, and some will be against it regardless of reasoning, the way in which it was presented justified the action. Personally, I like it, there is logic in every part of the design and I also think it sits better against the blue and white than our current crest does. We haven't gone down the Bristol route either, the elephant has always been around.

One thing that hasn't been mentioned here, and I think it's a big factor moving forwards, the club will own all rights to the new crest, which means it can't be reproduced (legally). Therefore if anybody wants Coventry Rugby merchandise it will have to be bought through an avenue that the club will benefit from financially, therefore putting money back into the club and not someone else's pocket, which can only be a good thing surely.

Posted by: HoboAl (IP Logged)
Date: 10 May, 2019 14:10

I liked it. I am proud of my Coventry heritage and I thought it looked good on the blue and white shirt and the red away.

It draws on heritage and the historical club badge in a modern form.

The current badge doesnt even have Coventry Rugby on it.

The club making the most of its Coventry connections fits in with "Our Club Our City" from a branding and marketing point of view.

Posted by: Alinta (IP Logged)
Date: 10 May, 2019 14:24

I entirely agree with RichC87 and HoboAl, good points well made. I'm another who likes the new design.

Posted by: covchopper (IP Logged)
Date: 10 May, 2019 17:08

Tbf it is more of an evolution of the existing badge rather than a drastic change. Harks back to our original badge so traditionalists should like it.

Posted by: poplarside (IP Logged)
Date: 10 May, 2019 17:50

Haven't seen new badge but I liked the one before the present one. This had the crest with Cat on top and 'Camera principis' on bottom. Think l'll like the new one too from what's been said so far

Posted by: NOM (IP Logged)
Date: 10 May, 2019 17:54

Thanks Phil, was there any talk about the players/squad for next year?

Date: 10 May, 2019 18:30

Quote:
poplarside
Haven't seen new badge but I liked the one before the present one. This had the crest with Cat on top and 'Camera principis' on bottom. Think l'll like the new one too from what's been said so far
No Cat a Mountain or Prince's Chamber on this one.

Current Page: 1 of 2
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net