If population matter in the league
Posted by: A_Janner_in_Kent (IP Logged)
Date: 03 June, 2019 14:44

I have always had a bee in my bonnet about Plymouth sports teams being disadvantaged by geography and felt a city our size doesn't capture it's talent well enough. It got the better of me today and this my totally unscientific prediction for next season ......

Pop. 2018/19
1.Rosslyn Park (Wandsworth) 323,257 3rd Nat 1
2.Blackheath (Lewisham) 301,307 4th Nat 1
3.Hull Ionians 284,321 1st Nat 2N
4.Old Elthamians 282,849 2nd Nat 1
5.Rotherham 263,375 6th Nat 1
6.Plymouth Albion 234,982 5th Nat 1
7.Rams (Reading) 218,705 1st Nat 2S
8.Richmond (- Upon-Thames) 195,700 12th Champs
9.Chinnnor (Oxford) 154,600 10th Nat 1
10.Sale FC 134,022 11th Nat 1
11.Cinderford (Gloucester) 128,500 8th Nat 1
12.Cambridge 123,900 13th Nat 1
13.Darlington Mowden Park 106,000 7th Nat 1
14.Canterbury 43,432 2nd Nat 2S
15.Bishop’s Stortford 37,838 9th Nat 1
16.Birmingham Moseley 25,669 12th Nat 1

Re: If population matter in the league
Date: 03 June, 2019 14:49

The table didn't come out too well, but you get my drift.

Looking forward to Albion coming to rural east Kent next season. Canterbury's facilities are to Brickfields standard but they are doing well for a team nit long out of the County/London leagues.

Date: 03 June, 2019 14:52

*aren't* *not* - fat fingers

Posted by: Dewnansek (IP Logged)
Date: 05 June, 2019 01:52

How are these population numbers arrived at?

Municipal population? Surrounding "catchment" zone?

For example, in soccer, Argyle's catchment extends beyond the city limits into much of Cornwall.

For Albion - less so (given the Pirates and Chuffs), but certainly SE Cornwall, S Devon and W Devon are in play.

Date: 05 June, 2019 10:42

Dewnansek,
Certainly not scientifically..... I just googled the latest population for the local authority/municipal areas. I agree catchment areas could be much bigger - OE, Park, Blackheath, Richmond and B'ham Moseley could claim London and Birmingham!

I left Plymouth in 1985 and played at Dover RFC. Even then Quins and Saracens scouted east Kent youth games. Once the game went professional Saracens set up connections with many Kent clubs, Quins tend to go into Surrey and Hampshire now.

Posted by: noibla (IP Logged)
Date: 05 June, 2019 10:44

I think your on the right track Dewnansek and as for the projections of A Janner in Kent, first of all it's great to hear from you if it's your first post ? keep up the good work.

But it's not easy to collate these things i.e. as for Chinnor who play in Thame of course where I've lived in both places and I can say that the population for Thame is put currently at 11.500 whereas the number quoted of 154,000 is for Oxfordshire in which there are some seventeen senior rugby clubs who would presumably share this total?

Again Plymouth have a good number of senior clubs who share the 235,000 mentioned, it's very difficult to get an accurate figure for many reasons but perhaps a bigger factor is the amount of money at each clubs disposal being the biggest one.

Semper Sersum.

Date: 05 June, 2019 11:42

Noibla,

English by birth, Devonian by the grace of God and Man of Kent by circumstance.
Born in 1962, schooled in rugby at King's Tamerton SM by Albion hero Nick Vopser and an Albion Junior before playing for a Combination Club.

Yes, my first post. Brought about by said bee in my bonnet (it's an age thing, my dad was a staunch Argyle man and had it too! ) and an interesting correlation between last seasons results against population. If a perfomance prediction DMP and Cinderford would probably be in the top half

Catchments areas are vitally important (Chinnor figures are for Oxford, probably being generous with my geography there) but as you rightly point out money talks when it comes to getting out there and bringing the talent in. I can't comment on the current Albion set up too much as I've sadly been watching from afar for a long time. I think the club did fantastically well to dig itself out of financial plight and survive on the budget it has; I love the fact we have a Ladies side, the rugby camps we run during school holidays are a great initiative; but imho the club is a long way from the days of the 1st XV, Extras, United and Juniors. It all costs money and a lot of our competitors have finances for multi senior sides and mini/juniors set ups.

Last seasons fifth place was hard fought and well earned, I look forward to a promotion chase again next term.

Posted by: Dewnansek (IP Logged)
Date: 07 June, 2019 03:04

If population mattred, then Exeter would be a couple of divisions below Albion.

Posted by: ianbol (IP Logged)
Date: 08 June, 2019 08:59

MONEY maketh man and strong competative sports teams.

We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net